Morning,

So I have spent days trying to find answers in the forums, how to's etc but have heard so many different things just wondering if anyone could help. I have the Verizon Blackberry Curve 8330 and want to be able to put a few songs and tv shows on my Curve. I ordered a 4GB memory card from Amazon that should arrive today I'm wondering what the next steps are after the memory card is inserted? All this desktop Manager, Roxio Media Manager stuff is confusing I'm not interesting in synching my calender or any of that just want to be able to listen to songs/watch videos on my commute and while traveling etc, the CD that came with my Curve isn't showing up on the computer I use at home (a Dell Laptop) if possible, could someone post a link or give advice on step by step instructions once the memory card is inserted, sorry still a newbie and really trying to learn the ins and outs of downloading media and in the past this website has been amazing! Also, want to keep my device in the best condition anything suggested on how to clean/wipe screen to keep smudges off?
    08-21-08 08:09 AM
    I think this may be of some help to you give this a read through BlackBerry 101 | CrackBerry.com
    08-21-08 08:16 AM
    you need to install the cd that came with the blackberry. once this is done, use roxio media manager to send/convert the files to be compatible with your blackberry. it's almost like burning a cd, just the blank cd is instead, your media card
    08-21-08 08:23 AM
    I got my first BB in June, an Alltel 8330. And bought an 8GB micro SDHC card and USB port adapter (in same package) at BestBuy. Did install the Device Manager on my HP, but in two and a half months haven't found it particularly useful.
    I am the drag and drop king, though. Make sure the media device reader is set to recognize/ON when phone plugged into computer. I have dragged and dropped songs AND albums from my iMac iTunes, pictures & wallpapers from my iMac and my HP onto the micro SDHC card just like I would onto a flash drive. WHILE the media card is IN the phone, phone plugged into Mac or PC. (Have only placed media card into phone once. And have left it there.)
    Note, only "purchased", not "protected" music will be recognized and played on the Curve. (Check "Kind" in View Options on iTunes to tell whether music is purchased or protected.)
    Onto the media card, every single song of an album presents as an individual icon. (Or "movement" of a classical music piece.) Media card knows to put music in music file and pictures into picture file. Just open u the media card on your computer screen like you would a flash drive. I have created pictures files, for different types of pictures.
    On the phone, in Media, there is a "Videos" spot, which is where I logically suspect your moved videos will correctly appear. (The phone is pretty darn smart.)
    Every time you UN-plug your phone from a computer after adding pictures, music, and hopefully the videos you chose---you will have to be patient. The more on the media card, the slower the phone boots up and reads anew all the media on the media card. So all phone functions will be slow and hesitate, just normal, when you disconnect it from computer. Make sure you ask and are told to "safely remove device" (PC) or "eject" (Mac).
    Also, if you have an imported tune set as ring tone, you will have to reset it to that tune every time you disconnect from a computer session where you've added media.
    Also wanted to look at email better, so downloaded Email Empower Pro, to see pictures, and email more like on a computer.
    And to move my 300-400 favorites/bookmarks---I downloaded Opera to my HP, and then Opera Mini to my curve.
    08-21-08 08:41 AM
    I do believe "asylvia" is correct about the video type/format, though. That is where my expertise leaves off, and likely where the download manager suddenly becomes imperative---to convert videos to a compatible format for the curve.
    However, I'd be curious enough to drag & drop a video file first. As cross-compatible as things have become these days, I would think you'd have to be using some pretty exotic files to need major conversion to be recognized by the curve. If/as it "lands" on the media card, seems like the BB would read it.
    My curve reads & displays bitmap (bmp) images, as well as other non-jpg, non-png images/pictures. And I watch YouTube (on Opera Mini), too. Opera makes the browsing seem more like a computer/laptop than the native browser that came on the phone.
    Sorry about the probably excess info (that doesn't really definitively answer your specific question). One too many cups of coffee.
    But glad to meet a new BB user using a 4GB media card to push the phone to its limits. (I keep all memory items that I can on the media card, and NOT on the phone's relatively small native memory.)
    Keep us posted on your travails and successes. I'm curious about movies and videos.
    And I use standard non-lint non-residue computer wipes. Or 91% isopropyl alcohol (it's cheap and thorough, will remove ear wax and everything but paint and finish, with no residue---it's the primary active ingredient in most commercial wipes) and soft cloth.
    Last edited by vetusvates; 08-21-08 at 09:28 AM.
    08-21-08 09:03 AM
    Verizon Curves are different in what types of videos they support (unfortunately). Most likely anything you drag and drop probably won't play. Like the other person said, either use the Desktop Manager that you got from Verizon or you can check out the guide in my signature. The bad thing about DM/Roxio is it's slow as heck and you have to have your device connected the whole time. There are other third party tools out there (Seabyrd), but they don't work for Verizon. But whichever route you go, you should get a sufficient result. Its certainly not the same experience I had watching AVI's on my Dell Axim... but it's nice to be able to watch videos and listen to music all on one device (that is with me all the time).
    08-21-08 10:51 AM
    Thanks I know movies may be too much to DL OTA but what about tv shows if I have the 4GB memory card inserted?
    08-21-08 01:09 PM
    I don't know, I guess you could... if you wanted to wait for a 50-100 meg (or more depending on the format) file to DL. You're better of copying them from your PC. OTA is only good for installing software and youtube. I personally wouldn't download any movies or TV or music from a website either. Bit torrent is a much better way to go, IMO.
    08-21-08 01:30 PM
    Thanks very helpful, what about streaming video like from tinytube.net?
    08-21-08 02:09 PM
    I think by reading and searching the faqs section you can find allot of info you are asking about
    08-21-08 02:12 PM
    I'm so glad I'm not the only person trying to figure this out!!!!! I haven't had any luck either.
    08-21-08 02:21 PM
    Thanks very helpful, what about streaming video like from tinytube.net?
    I don't know about tinytube, but with OS 4.3 on Verizon, you should be able to go to m.youtube.com with no problems and stream videos.
    08-21-08 02:26 PM
    OS 4.3? I have opera Mini4.1 I think not same thing I assume? sorry im new
    08-22-08 09:54 AM
    Opera Mini is your browser, OS 4.3 is your operating system. I would assume m.youtube.com would work using opera mini, but I don't know. I've only went there using the BB browser.
    08-22-08 10:09 AM
    What I am looking for, is how to down load, videos, taken with my BB to my laptop??
    10-18-09 03:29 PM
    What I am looking for, is how to down load, videos, taken with my BB to my laptop??
    The videos you have taken with your BB should be stored in the media card so there are a couple ways to get them onto your laptop.

1. Connect your BB to the laptop using a USB cable in which case, you will get a popup on your computer stating that an "external drive" has been attached. Click the option to browse using windows explorer. simply browse the folders on the media card. there is a folder called blackberry and in there you will find documents, pictures, music,.......find the videos, select them, right-click on them, select copy, and paste them into a folder on your laptops hard drive.

2. Another option is to remove the media card from your BB, insert it into a media card adapter that is connected to your laptop and simply browse the folders as stated above using windows explorer, find the files and copy them.

3. enjoy....DDDDD
    10-19-09 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD