I have read many posts on people using the curve as an mp3 and some even using it to replace their ipod, but none of these posts address having a large number of songs on one's berry (2,500). Is the curve easily able to handle this many songs, or does it lag as it tries to navigate the list? Is a class 2 card capable of playing these?
    12-07-08 01:44 PM
    That is a lot of songs! I have a couple hundred and don't have any problems. You can make multiple folders and store them all in one folder, or broken down anyway you would like. There is a search function that will find the songs you want. It really is a nice little unit. It probably isn't as good as a player designed just for music, but it isn't bad at all. The player even puts up cd cover art.

I haven't noticed any lag. There are a number of ways to make folders, using mass storage mode and dragging and dropping music with your PC in Windows Explorer is the best way to get music on the device. The only time I had any problem was when I tried to put a huge number of songs on all at once.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 12-07-08 at 01:58 PM.
    12-07-08 01:53 PM
    if they are in multiple folders can i still shuffle all of them together? I don't really need anything too fancy, as long as it can shuffle them and and find the occasional specific song. What class of sd card do u use?
    12-07-08 01:55 PM
    I have an 8 gb micro sd, works great. There is a shuffle function, you can put all your tunes in one file. There is a search function as well. It's right at the top of the song list. Very easy to use.

12-07-08 02:01 PM
    If you drag and drop the music files onto your device, they all go into the default folder. They only go into others if you do it yourself.

12-07-08 02:03 PM
    but if i sync them and they are on my computer in folders can i still shuffle all of them? Do you use the provided media player and ear buds? Are you using a class 2 card?
    12-07-08 02:18 PM
    *Lol, I don't know what class my card is, it's a Sandisk 8gb HC micro sd card. I don't sync with my PC to add music like you do with i-tunes - I don't buy music from ITunes. I put mp3's on my PC then drag them over and drop them onto the BlackBerry's card. They go into the default music folder - unless you specify they go somewhere else on the card. I use the ear buds that came with it, but you can buy nice aftermarket ones. You do want to use the ones with a mic so you can talk when it pauses during a call. I use the provided media player. I try not to make things more complicated than they need to be. Put some tunes on your card and play around with it to see what it can do. When it isn't attached to the PC, the best way to see where your music is and make folders etc, click your media icon, press your menu key and select explore.

Last edited by exelant; 12-07-08 at 04:41 PM.
    12-07-08 04:34 PM
    Inside the "music" folder on my card, I have several folders, each artist has own folder and inside that folder is folders for each cd. I usually use shuffle and plays them all. I have about 4 gigs worth of music w/o lag

12-07-08 05:22 PM
    See, there are options for everyone, you can do as much or as little as you like. Rarud has taken it to a very organized level. I also use shuffle and it works well, it is also easy to do a search and pull up the tune you want. I forgot to mention it, but BlackBerry does have an app you can use to sync your device with ITunes, I just haven't used it. You can get it at the BlackBerry mobile home page.

12-07-08 07:11 PM
    I have a 8gig. micro sd & created 2 folders under Music in explorer.

#1 is rock
    #2 is metal

Then I just click menu and "play sub-folder". This is a easy we to make a play list with drag and drop.
    -You can still play a mix of both folders if you go in the regular way and click "all songs"

Also pick up a Mic adapter from this site and use a good pair of headphones and your Golden.
    12-07-08 08:47 PM
    does anyone use the blackberry mediasync with their i-tunes???
    12-07-08 09:05 PM
    I do! If you are havign a problem with the artwork, HERE IS AN EASY FIX!!!!! In iTunes, on the bottom right corner, make sure you have the album artwork set to "Selected Item". For EACH song, copy & paste the artwork. It resets it to be associated with the file.
    12-08-08 01:34 AM
    Hey sccr, this may be hard for some to believe, but I was wrong! , I played around with win media yesterday - I was going to put a new cd on my berry, and it asked me if I wanted to sync with my berry! To test it, I clicked yes and it proceeded to put all of the music in my windows files onto my berry. It created a new music directory on my media card and put the music files in there just the way they were organized on my PC. I can just say one learns something new each day.

I tested playback for you and discovered the berry's media player saw all of my music - new directory and the existing music folder on the berry directory's music folder. It would playback all of this music as if it was in the same place and include all of the songs in shuffle mode. You can see where everything is by clicking on your media icon, then pressing the menu key and selecting explore - that's how I saw the new music directory on my card.

I am going to arrange all my music on my PC and get it organized just the way I like it and then sync my device with the PC to put it on my device just the way I like it. To be honest, I hadn't played around with media much and am really pleasantly surprised by the ease of adding music via windows media player! I am sure others know this, I am sorry I gave you misinformation.

12-08-08 08:59 AM
    I just realised that WMP11 will sync with my Berry. Now to decide what format to use. :-)
    12-08-08 09:33 AM
    I use Windows Media Player to organize all of my albums. the Berry will organize by Album, Artist, Genres or playlists. I have found the Roxio Media program that came with my BB to be a bit clumsy. with WMP I can download and add Album art or my own picture and edit the said Album, Artist, etc so I can organize them, whether by Album or a specific playlist. then I just drag and drop them onto the media card ( I only have a 4Gb but its plenty for me). I think it rocks better than my daughters Ipod, plus I can e-mail, surf, look at pictures while running the BlackBerry Media Player in the back ground. don't forget the addition of the Equalizer with the 4.5 OS! that is the BEST feature of 4.5 I have a pair of mid-expensive JVC ear buds and the sound is the best ive heard. I am very happy with it.
    12-08-08 12:23 PM
    I have an 8Gb Class 3 card with 1256 toonz on the card.

If you can get a Class 4 card, copy functions happen faster but Class 2 works fine.

Someone was saying the other day that access is faster if the music is organised in folders as mine is.

I shall buy a 16Gb Class 4 card when they hit the market. Check out the thread on media cards in my signature.

To copy stuff to/from the card I use MAss Media Mode and just drag n drop. I do not use the Poxio media manager.
    12-08-08 12:29 PM
    Hey Pete, have you tried the sync with windows media player? I always used drag and drop, but just found my newer winmedia player will sync with my berry and move my music files onto the berry. It creates it's own music directory on my card and copies my music onto the card just as I have it set up on my PC (laptop). My Curve's media player then sees. And plays the music just fine. You can set up as many folders and arrange files as you want and they copy just as you lay them out. It is sweet!

12-08-08 12:54 PM
    I have an 8Gb Class 3 card with 1256 toonz on the card.
    Do you mean 2 or 4? Or are there class 3 cards as well?

Do you notice a difference in play back and access speed with a higher class or just the copy speed?

Thanks for all of the help guys. You have convinced me that the curve is the way to go.
    12-08-08 03:00 PM
    hi!

few questions,

any software for the BB that will repeat a section of a song....over and over....

or take a section of a song, and slow it down.....

I am a musician, and would like to use my BB as an MP3 player

thanks!

allen
    12-10-08 03:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD