My 2-year-old Curve very recently stopped detecting the data network for most of the day. It will pick up some data connection for a few moments sporadically (1-3 times per day), but it seems like it goes down again by the time I'm done deleting the 200 emails that surge in during the up time, which is incredibly annoying. I called Verizon and was given the usual advice of a battery pull and a system update. I live in New York and was told there were no outages anywhere. If that's the case, then what is going on?

Until a few days ago, I was optimistic that my 8330 would be fine until Verizon (hopefully) releases the Bold next month. I can live without the email function for a month, but I rely on the internet too much to ignore the problem with my phone.

Any suggestions? If it matters, I'm running OS 4.5.0.138.

ETA:
    I called Verizon again. For the second time I noticed that my phone picked up a data connection immediately after hanging up with customer service. There is still no 1XEV, but 1X is better than the lowercase letters I've had for over a week.
    Last edited by ifhts; 04-30-10 at 10:31 AM.
    04-30-10 10:07 AM
    There probably isn't a widespread outage, or Verizon would notice it. There may well be a problem with the tower that you normally hit. It may not be affecting enough people to have attracted attention. In that case, you have to keep calling Customer Service. Report the problem and request a Trouble Ticket Number. Then call at least once a day, every day, as long as the problem persists. Give the support person the Trouble Ticket number. Ask them to escalate the problem. Eventually (maybe soon), they'll send someone to check the tower you are using. Assuming the problem is not with your phone, they will likely find and fix the problem. It's frustrating, but when a problem isn't affecting very many people, or people aren't reporting it, you have to build the history yourself.
    04-30-10 10:35 AM
    Funny, I have a Verizon 8330 and I have been having that same problem. I also called CS and they had me do the usual stuff and sure enough, I got the 1XEV for a few minutes. After I hung up with each rep, it went off again. Just two days ago, I had no phone, no bbm, no anything! What's going on here? I am in upstate NY.

I asked someone for help on this forum and he suggested a long batt pull to start with...like 15 mins. which I did and things started coming back. I hate being dead in the water and I can't wait anymore for the Bold 9650.

For gosh sakes, big red...sell it NOW!!!!!
    04-30-10 05:33 PM
    ... I can't wait anymore for the Bold 9650...For gosh sakes, big red...sell it NOW!!!!!
    Be careful what you wish for. Verizon has shown themselves willing to release devices and operating systems before they should.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 05:55 PM
    I had a similar problem that happened about 3 weeks ago. I had data and all on Sunday night and went to bed. I woke up Monday morning with 1xev. So I called CS later that day and asked the gal what was going on. Spent 45 mins on the phone and she did a lot of things and batter pull and registering again with Vzw. None of that was a fix until she "removed" my phone off my account and put one of their "dummy" phones on it. They took off their phone and I re-added my back to the acct. This seemed to do the trick but it was only a temporary fix. It happened again on a Sunday night. Needless to say this was frustrating so I called back again and they shipped me a "like new" phone in 2 days. Must have been a device issue but I'm waiting for the Bold myself.

05-02-10 01:48 PM
    I had a similar problem that happened about 3 weeks ago. I had data and all on Sunday night and went to bed. I woke up Monday morning with 1xev. So I called CS later that day and asked the gal what was going on. Spent 45 mins on the phone and she did a lot of things and batter pull and registering again with Vzw. None of that was a fix until she "removed" my phone off my account and put one of their "dummy" phones on it. They took off their phone and I re-added my back to the acct. This seemed to do the trick but it was only a temporary fix. It happened again on a Sunday night. Needless to say this was frustrating so I called back again and they shipped me a "like new" phone in 2 days. Must have been a device issue but I'm waiting for the Bold myself.

I hate the runaround. I was also instructed to do the battery pull, system update, and call back on a different number so they could remotely manipulate my device. I have a better understanding of what isn't the problem than that. My phone is two years old, so I assumed the problem was simply exhausted hardware. If the inability to detect the data network is not specific to my device, I am somewhat relieved because it would be nice to move on to a new phone and still have one functional backup.
    05-03-10 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD