while browsing the fantastic BB 101 and learnin a bunch I thought I'd tack a break and check out the ringtones and maybe snag one or three, but ran accros a proble. Well two. First the download and save worked great, even previewed it. And sounded great. But later on all three downloads have vanisheed.... Did a shut down and pulled the battery just in case maybe I over worked my curve an maybe needed a break.

Still nothin no sign at all.

Then I got a phone call. My wife was bustin my, well you know, for playin with my phone, I mean she's in the other room, lol just messin with me. I answere to the sound of silence. She could hear anything I said. But I couldn't. It was a dead line. Again I shut down. Pulled the batterie. Waited a second. Restarted and all was well. But it started again an hour later. Oh yeah.

And my ringtones are still MIA!!

Any idea what I should do? when i saved them i put them in blackberry ringtones. device or somethin. right now i only have a 1 gig sd card. gonna go get hooked up with an sdhc here soon. whats a decent size to move up to that i wont be over doin it and i wont be pressed to upgrade again for 8330 curve?

i checked the availible space on my card under options and it appears theres plenty of room. so i wouldnt think its deleting the files auto. and if it was wouldnt it delete the old first? i think i checked in like 5 tones last night and sure enough this mornin i only have 2 left.

another weird thing is that i got to work and started surfin and all the sudden the phone is havin a hard time loading the pages stating that there was a server error or the page is too big. this is happenin at random so its not the site its the BB.

so during that, i checked my ring tones again and there gone all the sudden. everything, my songs and the ring tones i put in the other day that i transferred from my mac. yet when i put the usb cord on and check the files there there again..... well some of them. the songs i loaded are still there but the ring tones that vanished are still gone. but everything else remains.

kinda makin me nuts. sorry for the long rant but any and all info would be great. i love his device but its starting to shake my confidence a little.
    09-11-08 07:40 PM
    It sounds like low memory on your phone with the phone powered on pull the battery out & leave out 30 seconds & then reinstall the battery that should free up some memory. We need more information what model phone is it & have you down loaded any software on it ?when the memory gets low the phone will do all kinds of weird stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-08 08:09 PM
    blackberry curve
    verizon
    no downloads (as weird as its actin i dnt wanna chance a nuke!)

BB
    file free.... 47725453
    file total.... 83623936

MEDIA CARD
    total.... 981.1mb
    free.... 875.0mb
    09-11-08 08:17 PM
    Low free memory problems start showing up when you get below 12 000 000 bytes. You're at 4x that; typical for an unoptimized 96MB device. You probably could free up more memory by performing the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig, but it's very unlikely that low memory is causing your problems.

You have to store ringtones in the directory the BlackBerry creates for them. It sounds like you did. Your 1GB card has 106MB of something on it. Ringtones are typically small, so a lot of that 106MB is probably your music files.

Your 8330 can handle up to an 8GB microSD card. It's possible your 1GB card is defective. I can't think of another explanation for the missing ringtones, assuming they actually were saved.

The "I can't hear the other person, but she can hear me." problem has been reported before: http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/med...problem-26692/
    The solution appears to be exchanging your phone. You can get a new one within 30 days. Be sure to remove any microSD card you have in your current phone before you exchange it.

It may be that exchanging the phone solves the microSD problem as well, since the problem could be with the phone.
    09-11-08 09:14 PM
    blackberry curve
    verizon
    no downloads (as weird as its actin i dnt wanna chance a nuke!)

BB
    file free.... 47725453
    file total.... 83623936

MEDIA CARD
    total.... 981.1mb
    free.... 875.0mb
    I will throw this in also...

If you use the switch application many times, this has been known to cause issues with this 83x phone's memory. You can use this feature while your on a phone call and want to look at the Blackberry Phone's address book or desktop by using the menu button and "Switch Application".

Are you doing this switch application when taking calls??
    09-11-08 09:26 PM
    what the heck is it with all the memory? I have only 24,xxx,xxx!! and a 4 gig mem card. I haven't installed anything and got the phone last month. ANy suggestions?
    09-11-08 09:29 PM
    kazuma5401 has a device with 96MB of memory; yours (and mine) has 64MB. You can free up more memory by performing the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig, but you won't be able to make up the advantage that starting with 50% more memory gives him.
    09-11-08 09:44 PM
    I believe I understand. I did the memory optimization procedure earlier this evening and it gave me a little more memory. What's taking up all of the memory?
    09-11-08 10:09 PM
    If you have removed your video and picture sample files, that will free up about 5 Mb of space.

By far, the biggest improvement comes with a media card and changing the default setting away from device memory.

I presume you used the simple instructions with MaxMem. If you use the Advanced instructions with CrackMem, you will really free up some space.
    09-11-08 10:17 PM
    I used both
    09-11-08 10:38 PM
    If I get a bigger media card, will the info transfer?
    09-11-08 10:39 PM
    You have 24mb available. That's twice what is recommended for stable operation. What is it you're upset about???

09-11-08 10:42 PM
    Just media can go on your card. You can't install or run apps from your memory card.

09-11-08 10:53 PM
    If I get a bigger media card, will the info transfer?
    Not automatically, but it's a simple matter to copy the files from the smaller card to your PC desktop, swap the smaller for the larger in your BlackBerry, and copy them back. Before you copy them back, I recommend you format the new card. That way, you're guaranteed there's no preinstalled software on the card before you copy your files.
    09-11-08 10:54 PM
    Jenay's right. 24mb is good. Periodically -- a few times a week, check your memory and if you see it dropping down, do a reset -- push your alt-right shift-delete keys. Also check and clear your cache -- from your browser, push your menu key, roll down and click options, click cache operations, roll down and click clear cache history.

09-11-08 11:12 PM
    Well. Iv done a couple different things thus far. And my situation is improving.

I tried the restart from pullin the battery while the device is on, I deleted most non essential items that I could off my card, and adjusted a few settings where I could.

I'm kinda limited due to the fact all I have is mac computers. I have a power mac G5 an G4. No pc's.

I don't use the device switcher all that much the main things I use I have put too my left and right quik keys.

Thnx guys. A lot! Goin to pic up my new sdhc card here in a few. Can any one pop me a link or tell me as too how best to use the sdhc cards I know there are limitations as far as what you can put on the card and what the devgice will use from the card.
    09-12-08 03:24 PM
    In RIM's implementation, microSD cards are used for ringtones, music, videos, and pictures. You can't run applications from one. You can store other file types on the card, but you can't view or use them without 3rd party apps.

09-12-08 03:47 PM
    I recently lost all of my picture files from my card and the hour glass showed up. After rebooting, the pictures were gone but pdf files stayed.
    09-12-08 03:51 PM
    Here is what worked for me:
    1) connect to PC and delete BBthumbs.dat files. They will be in root directory and sub-directories if you created some
    2) power down device and remove battery for at least 30 seconds
    3) power up, logon (if you have a password) and a couple minutes for the device to rebuild .dat files
    05-14-09 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD