I picked up my Curve 8300 last night, coming from a Sony Ericsson w810i which allows you to use its camera's flash as a flashlight. This is a feature I used very often on my old phone.

After doing a lot of searching, I discovered to my dismay that many 3rd party applications simply give you a blank white screen. I don't know why anyone would buy that when they can just open a new note which is basically a blank white screen..

The only program I have found that uses a different method that I have found is called BLight which uses the indicator LED and can be found below. Not too sure how well this actually works as a light.

The ideal thing would be to use the camera's flash as a flashlight but there does not seem to be a 3rd party program that does this. If you know of one, please post it here! The work around is, if you own a 8330 on 4.3, or any curve on 4.5+, you can use the stock video camera app and turn the flash on through its options. Not a bad method, but if you have a stand-alone app to use the light, you'd use less battery than if the video camera were running as well, plus you dont have the risk of accidentally taking a video. also would be nice for those who dont feel a need to upgrade to 4.5 i guess?

Finally, while the Curve is more than capable, there are those who will argue that you should just get a flashlight and not use your Curve. There are many that are small enough for your keychain and are easy enough to carry.

Hope this saves some people a good amount of searching
    Last edited by scsi; 09-16-08 at 04:14 PM.
    09-15-08 11:43 PM
    Turning the video flash on works extremely well. I use it to read at night while my wife is sleeping.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-08 12:04 AM
    The flashlight app I bought let's you pick what color screen (red, white, yellow, green) and whether or not to use the LED with the screen or not.

And also set the time for how long until it goes off, which is great for getting in bed w/o waking my husband who has a ridiculous ability to immediately wake up from a sound sleep if I even *think* of turning on a closet light to safely get to the bed w/o tripping over a dog. Ha. That's the exact reason I needed a flashlight on my phone. It is pitch black in nowhere land, so one can get hurt w/o a light.
    I used to use the screen on my reg cell phone. Seems to be the only strength of light that he doesn't wake up to. *rolls eyes*

It has a mirror too but that doesn't work at all. LOL

I can't find out what one it is. Properties just says version 5, vendor IB.

Last edited by BingCherry; 09-16-08 at 12:51 AM.
    09-16-08 12:40 AM
    Oh yeah, when I need a five watt flashlight I immediately
    reach for my phone.

If you need a flashlight or booklight, get a real flashlight or booklight.
    09-16-08 12:44 AM
    LOL. Off topic for a second...
    We have 2 flashlights per room. A must have out here. We go through tons of batteries a year! (Wild animals and rescuing livestock at all hours of darkness...) Probably one of the most used items in our home for over a decade.

Ooo and speaking of booklights, I found one that is really cool. Called a Light Wedge. I want one! Haha

09-16-08 12:59 AM
    Oh yeah, when I need a five watt flashlight I immediately
    reach for my phone.

If you need a flashlight or booklight, get a real flashlight or booklight.
    Please, this thread is for those who wish to have the functionality of a flashlight from their Curves. I personally don't want to carry around another item when my phone is capable perfectly capable of doing the job well. I've seen too many threads where people argue that they should just get a regular flashlight.
    09-16-08 04:45 AM
    I use my BB as a flashlight everynight. I just turn on the video camera where I have the video light set to "ON". Very handy.
    09-16-08 06:40 AM
    I've used my Curve several times in power outages to find laterns and etc. It is handy to have. I just got the Curve in June and we have lost power 3 times from 8 to 24 hours time spans. Thank you Ike (remnants for Sunday evenings outage and a couple of downed big trees.
    Minor stuff compared to poor folks on Texas coast.
    09-16-08 06:47 AM
    Funny I just went to a Curve from an Sony w810 as well and wondered about a flashlight too. I've been using the vid cam with the light on since I've upgraded to 4.5
    09-16-08 09:43 AM
    Yep! I just set the flash on my video cam to ALWAYS ON and that works well for me. It only lasts about 20 or 30 seconds, but if you bump the trackball or the red button, it comes back on. Works in a pinch!

09-16-08 09:54 AM
    Yep! I just set the flash on my video cam to ALWAYS ON and that works well for me. It only lasts about 20 or 30 seconds, but if you bump the trackball or the red button, it comes back on. Works in a pinch!
    To add to this... set one of your convenience keys to Video Camera and now you have an easy to turn on in any light flashlight. Works great!
    09-16-08 12:51 PM

Cool. I did not know that. (Have never used the cam before). I just tested it and it is brighter than my flashlight app! Yay.

09-16-08 01:04 PM
    that LED will kill your battery rather quick if you use it continuously
    09-16-08 01:22 PM
    Please, this thread is for those who wish to have the functionality of a flashlight from their Curves. I personally don't want to carry around another item when my phone is capable perfectly capable of doing the job well.
    You have to be kidding me. You can get a flashlight smaller than your
    pinky and 10x as bright as anything your phone can output. But I guess
    that would be way too much to carry
    09-16-08 01:53 PM
    Curve has no vid camera. I just use the home screen. Not bright enough to walk through the woods, but enough to walk through the house or something.
    09-16-08 02:32 PM
    Why would you buy a penlight, no matter how small or bright it is, to carry around with you all the time... when it isn't something you need to carry/use all the time?
    Because it performs it's function (the one it is designed for)
    better than a BB ever will (a function it was NOT designed for).
    Not to mention the obvious - Battery drain.
    09-16-08 02:34 PM
    And you could also get a date book to keep your calendar.......and a little phone book to keep all your addresses......and a mini calculator......and......

That's the beauty of the BB, it does so many things and means less things to carry around with you. I love it when I discover another handy piece of functionality that my BB can do.
    09-16-08 02:35 PM
    Curve has no vid camera. I just use the home screen. Not bright enough to walk through the woods, but enough to walk through the house or something.
    it does if you have upgraded to 4.5
    09-16-08 02:35 PM
    And you could also get a date book to keep your calendar.......and a little phone book to keep all your addresses......and a mini calculator......and......

That's the beauty of the BB, it does so many things and means less things to carry around with you. I love it when I discover another handy piece of functionality that my BB can do.
    Agreed, but it CAN'T do EVERYTHING. Maybe it's just me being way past
    the "fanboy" excitement, but there are some things that the BB just does
    poorly and this would be one of them.
    09-16-08 02:46 PM
    You have to be kidding me. You can get a flashlight smaller than your
    pinky and 10x as bright as anything your phone can output. But I guess
    that would be way too much to carry
    If you don't like the idea, then stay out of the thread.

Agreed, but it CAN'T do EVERYTHING. Maybe it's just me being way past
    the "fanboy" excitement, but there are some things that the BB just does
    poorly and this would be one of them.
    It is more than capable of performing as a flashlight, at least to my and many others' needs.
    09-16-08 03:55 PM
    everyone is entitled to their opinion...
    09-16-08 03:57 PM

It is more than capable of performing as a flashlight, at least to my and many others' needs.
    Amen.

Last edited by Dilbert; 09-16-08 at 04:28 PM.
    09-16-08 03:59 PM
    everyone is entitled to their opinion...
    I made a post gathering information for those who wish to use their Curve as a flashlight. Many people want that functionality. If you or anyone doesn't want that, why clutter up an otherwise informative thread.
    09-16-08 04:01 PM
    I made a post gathering information for those who wish to use their Curve as a flashlight. Many people want that functionality.
    understood, and even i gave suggestions, but AG sees things in a bigger picture and we should all be respectful of when everyone has to bring to the table.
    09-16-08 04:04 PM
    understood, and even i gave suggestions, but AG sees things in a bigger picture and we should all be respectful of when everyone has to bring to the table.
    His posts do not contribute to the discussion. Every other thread here has someone saying you should just get a regular flashlight.

I have adjusted the original post reminding readers that an original flashlight is an option.
    Last edited by scsi; 09-16-08 at 04:29 PM.
    09-16-08 04:06 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD