Folks, i hope you can answer my friends question. He just purchased, off Ebay, an ATT 8320 and he's telling me that from what he has heard the wi-fi cannot be used unless you have a data plan, can anyone verify that for me? I will mainly be used for browsing web pages and so forth.
    Thank you
    Rockey
    05-26-09 04:15 PM
    I have a bold and when my bis wasn't activated yet,I couldn't browse through wifi. I was able to connect to the router but it was greyed out. -ve read somewhere here that their wifi worked even without bis.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 04:31 PM
    I currently have an 8320 in my possession and it has no phone plan, just an old SIM with an inactive account. I can still use it in WiFi hot spots and use the internet.

Currently I am leaching from my neighbor just for fun.

This is an ex BES unit too, I scrubbed it and it has never been active on BIS or anything. The BES shouldn't even be a factor anymore as the BES policies are a distant memory now.
    05-26-09 06:19 PM
    Not sure with AT&T but with Tmobile all you do is shwitch the defaul browser to hotspot and you can browse. With or without a data plan or sim card installed.
    05-26-09 06:30 PM
    Not sure with AT&T but with Tmobile all you do is shwitch the defaul browser to hotspot and you can browse. With or without a data plan or sim card installed.
    The same goes with AT&T.
    05-26-09 06:35 PM
    Same with Rogers!

05-26-09 08:22 PM
    Folks, i hate to bring this back up but my friend just came back from ATT and they also told him that he HAD to have the data plan in order to be able to use Wi-Fi, isnt that ridicilous?
    Do any of you know a work-around for this so he wont have to get a data plan?
    05-30-09 09:00 PM
    Folks, i hate to bring this back up but my friend just came back from ATT and they also told him that he HAD to have the data plan in order to be able to use Wi-Fi, isnt that ridicilous?
    i have AT&T and I also have 8320. i do not have a data plan. i only use WiFi. that AT&T rep is an *****.
    05-31-09 03:45 AM
    Just ignore the rep and don't sign up for it (your friend). AT&T does not require BlackBerry devices to be on the proper data plan, or any at all.
    05-31-09 04:31 AM
    I am a little confused. Your profile indicates your carrier is Sprint, but you are asking about using a GSM phone. They are not compatible.

If you have unlocked it, you can use it with AT&T or T-Mobile service.

Some carrers will insist on the full package, that is how they make their money. Others will activate the phone and text message portions but will not require a data plan.

If you can activate it, you will be able to use the Hotspot Browser with Wifi. It will not work for Email, messaging or most third party programs.
    05-31-09 11:53 AM
    Reed the OP is asking for a friend.
    05-31-09 12:09 PM
    IF YOU HAVE ATT INTERNET, IT INCLUDES WIFI HOT SPOTS
    09-11-09 08:55 PM
    I have tmobile, and it may be different with att, but I bought my 8320 specifically to use wifi and avoid paying for a data plan. It works.
    09-12-09 12:53 AM
    Switch the default browser to hotspot browser, it should work.

09-12-09 03:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD