I'm thinking about buying an "unlocked" Sierra Wireless AirCard 881. They're going on 1 Sale a Day for $39.95. They say I can just insert my ATT sim card and surf away anywhere. I'd like to know if ATT will know what I'm doing and will it effect my unlimited data plan?
    12-02-08 06:30 AM
    Hi,

My "unlocked" AT&T Sierra Wireless Aircard 881 just came. It's brand new and included the AT&T communication software. I installed the software, inserted my sim from my curve 8310 and here I am. It's a 3G card (which my 8310 doesn't have). I'm surfing the web much faster than on my curve with this card. What I want to know is, since I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T, does this mean that I can use this aircard without any extra costs? If so, that's amazing. I only paid $40 for the card. And is there any way for AT&T to discover what I'm doing?
    12-11-08 02:35 PM
    I suspect there of footprints left on AT&T server from the use of an Aircard. It likely will not attract any attention unless you are running up huge download tabs.

Unlimited is often not really unlimited. A lot of carriers look with suspicion when you are constantly breaking 5 Gb.

Go easy of the use for the first month, check your data bill to determine how they are handling it. They have to notify you if they are going to change the billing.
    12-11-08 03:55 PM
    I suspect there of footprints left on AT&T server from the use of an Aircard. It likely will not attract any attention unless you are running up huge download tabs.

Unlimited is often not really unlimited. A lot of carriers look with suspicion when you are constantly breaking 5 Gb.

Go easy of the use for the first month, check your data bill to determine how they are handling it. They have to notify you if they are going to change the billing.
    Thanks for your input. I didn't intend to use it that much. I only have one sim card naturally, so it will be in my blackberry (I still love my bb). It's just nice to have the ability to use it if the occassion arives. And I will keep a close watch on my bill for a while.

Thanks again.
    12-11-08 05:40 PM
    If they don't catch on to you, it sounds like a great deal. I don't have internet at home, so when I get online (like now), I have to tether my blackberry. Of course, this can be painfully slow, so a faster solution would be fantastic.

Did you get the aircard from the Sierra Wireless web site?
    12-11-08 10:08 PM
    If they don't catch on to you, it sounds like a great deal. I don't have internet at home, so when I get online (like now), I have to tether my blackberry. Of course, this can be painfully slow, so a faster solution would be fantastic.

Did you get the aircard from the Sierra Wireless web site?
    You would think that it would be basically the same thing... I'm using the same sim card that I would be using for tethering.

I got the aircard from 1saleaday . com. Every day they have a great deal for 24 hours. Sometimes their stuff is FREE. You just pay $4.99 for postage. I've gotten quite a few good deals from them.

I'll keep everyone posted about how I make out.
    Last edited by jayman2; 12-12-08 at 06:01 AM.
    12-12-08 05:56 AM
    Hello Jayman, do you have a status on doing this? I'm on call a lot for my work and they currently haven't agreed to paying for an aircard so I sometimes feel like I'm jailbound at home. I would only use this to log into my network when I'm on call so usage would be pretty minimal. Let me know what your first bill looks like.
    01-20-09 05:34 PM
    Hello Jayman, do you have a status on doing this? I'm on call a lot for my work and they currently haven't agreed to paying for an aircard so I sometimes feel like I'm jailbound at home. I would only use this to log into my network when I'm on call so usage would be pretty minimal. Let me know what your first bill looks like.
    I've only used the card 3 or 4 times and it didn't show up on my bill. Just my usual unlimited data plan with no over usage charges. BUT, I'll tell you this. You know how when you log into your ATT account, it displays a picture of the phones that are on your plan? Well I was using the card one day when I logged into my account. On the screen was a picture of an ATT Sierra Wireless AirCard 881 It said "is this your device?" You should have seen me logging off and removing my aircard. LOL But like I said, nothing has showed up on my bill yet. I have been told on this site and 2 others that as long as I keep my data usage under 5gb per month, I shouldn't have any problems. I use my aircard very rarely. It's just nice to know that I can use it if I have to, or if I just want to. I hope this helps.
    01-20-09 07:24 PM
    I've only used the card 3 or 4 times and it didn't show up on my bill. Just my usual unlimited data plan with no over usage charges. BUT, I'll tell you this. You know how when you log into your ATT account, it displays a picture of the phones that are on your plan? Well I was using the card one day when I logged into my account. On the screen was a picture of an ATT Sierra Wireless AirCard 881 It said "is this your device?" You should have seen me logging off and removing my aircard. LOL But like I said, nothing has showed up on my bill yet. I have been told on this site and 2 others that as long as I keep my data usage under 5gb per month, I shouldn't have any problems. I use my aircard very rarely. It's just nice to know that I can use it if I have to, or if I just want to. I hope this helps.
    Hey thanks Jayman. That's very helpful. I actually was able to buy the card on ebay for only $30 so this will be very helpful to my job. I don't think you need to worry about the website because though the site has the most current info, it doesn't seem to always update their system. I bought an unlocked blackberry from a friend and when i put my sim card in it, the phone was instantly updated online. When I went to the store to update my blackberry plan, the rep looked at me funny and said he showed I had a different phone. I think there are so many depts there that it's hard for them to track changes sometimes. Anyway, thanks for the input.
    01-21-09 02:02 PM
    Oh, and did you download the sierra software or the one provided by ATT? Much Thanks.
    01-21-09 03:38 PM
    Be extremely careful. Tethering without a tethering plan is against AT&T's TOS and if caught, they can terminate your service without notice and charge you for data used.

Not saying that they will catch on, but you "could" be looking at a huge bill if they do.
    01-21-09 03:45 PM
    I wonder if this is really tethering? Tethering uses a cable to the blackberry. This is a completely different device. Makes me envious of folks with a SIM card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 05:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD