Good Afternoon.

Is it possible to use IM on a blackberry curve. I have yahoo working on there fine but i haven't seen anything from IM. I need this so I can see my buddies on IM from my blackberry.

Regards
    08-17-07 07:12 AM
    Not sure what you mean. You say Yahoo is working fine. What other IM are you wanting to use. If you use multiple IM programs like Yahoo, MSN Messenger, Google Talk, etc... then you want to use JiveTalk on your BlackBerry. Plenty of threads here about that.

beejive :: JiveTalk mobile messaging

Welcome to CrackBerry.com!
    08-17-07 08:05 AM
    try ramble im or if u have cingular go to media mall n get the oz im app.
    08-17-07 04:15 PM
    Thanks for the tip I got oz IM and its great. Does it use data or text mesages?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-07 03:41 PM
    Hello I have a 8830 with Verizon and I have installed Google Talk... Is there any cost per message as i dont have unlimited SMS in my plan.. but i have unlimited Data plan. I am contemplating on buying Jive Talk.. or IM + if there is any cost in using Google Talk... can someone help me or guide to the correct forum?? Thanks for the help..
    09-09-07 09:21 AM
    Goldnboy - OZ IM uses text, and not data - stay well clear I say...

Anandbb - GoogleTalk uses data, and so does JiveTalk. It's (JiveTalk) the BEST IM application for all IM applications...
    09-09-07 09:27 AM
    Thanks Navilyn... so i will use Google Talk effectively without charging on my SMS .... i will try jive talk with trial version... if you are recommending i am sure its good... may be i will buy it after the trial version... this forum rocks with lots of information... which increases my addiction to my 8830 thanks guys...
    09-09-07 03:06 PM
    No problem...

JiveTalk is the HIGHEST rated IM program for BlackBerry's, period!
    09-09-07 03:30 PM
    No problem...

JiveTalk is the HIGHEST rated IM program for BlackBerry's, period!
    Is it really? I've been using IM+ for the past few days and liked it a lot (Aside from a bug that crashes the phone if you are connected to Yahoo from a different location).

How would JiveTalk compare to IM+ and what would be the pros and cons of each?
    09-09-07 05:29 PM
    Sorry - can't compare IM+ vs JiveTalk (I'm sure others can and will), since I haven't used IM+. However I've been using JiveTalk quite a bit on my Curve, and it an excellent piece of software -- good user interface, great functionality. It just works. Have used it a lot, and it's an absolute pleasure. Highly recommended.
    09-10-07 10:51 AM
    ... It just works. Highly recommended.
    Can't stress that enough.
    09-10-07 12:30 PM
    Sorry - can't compare IM+ vs JiveTalk (I'm sure others can and will), since I haven't used IM+. However I've been using JiveTalk quite a bit on my Curve, and it an excellent piece of software -- good user interface, great functionality. It just works. Have used it a lot, and it's an absolute pleasure. Highly recommended.
    I decided to find this out and used both of them over the weekend. Basically, they work pretty much the same way. I did notice some significant differences between them. The JiveTalk interface has a lot more customization options as far as how you want the IM session to be displayed. IM+ also crashed on me twice on Friday since I was logged into Yahoo! at a different location and the phone basically froze (had to do the battery manouver each time). Contact sorting is easier and cleaner on JiveTalk. I also tested the file transfer function which worked flawlessly (albeit terribly slow). Overall, JiveTalk seems a little more stable than IM+ - Not to mention that support is easier to obtain as IM+ developers are German if I'm not mistaken.

These, plus the cost for the license make JiveTalk a no brainer over IM+. I plan on purchasing a license when the 30 day trial expires.

Question for those that use JiveTalk constantly: I've read that leaving yourself logged on with JiveTalk (at least the previous release) drains your battery quite rapidly. Is this still the case?
    Last edited by mvanderlinden; 09-10-07 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Added battery question
    09-10-07 01:38 PM
    does anyone know if ramble im uses text and data??

When i spoke to the AT&T people they said its mobile to web and it uses both! i never believe them does anyone know for sure. i just recently got the bb and had to change all of my data plans and text plans and want to make sure i do it right!
    01-16-08 12:42 PM
    Question for those that use JiveTalk constantly: I've read that leaving yourself logged on with JiveTalk (at least the previous release) drains your battery quite rapidly. Is this still the case?
    There is an option under PREFERENCES for Battery Save Mode When Idle
    01-16-08 01:07 PM
    Hey! I downloaded Jive and it keeps coming up with the error "No additional applications available for your device" while using the desktop manager with my berry usb'ed to my lappy. Any advice would be much appreciated <33 Lylu
    Last edited by lylu_berry; 01-17-08 at 10:18 PM.
    01-17-08 09:32 PM
    lylu, search around. There are several threads on that subject. You need to have both Desktop Manager AND the device-specific driver/application package for your handheld installed on your PC. Once both are installed, connect your BlackBerry and run Desktop Manager. It will detect your device and then find the correct files for it on your PC. You will then be good to go!
    01-18-08 08:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD