I had a fully working Bluetooth modem conection for both my Mac and PC up untill two days ago. Updated some softward in my Curve and lost all connections. Called Sprint and they said I should have not ever had anything working as Data isn't included in the everything plan. Funny, it has been working for over 1 year no problems. They tried to switch me to another plan and hit for for 39.00 - 59.00 bucks! to top it off I now see the plans across the field, Verizon,T-Mobile and all others are capping data off at 5G's. Then they charge more for overage! Reguardless, anyone know how I can get this thing working again without the BS fee's. From reading here on these forms looks like it's a snap... very few mention anything about paying extra for a data plan that we already pay for. PLEASE HELP!
    09-05-09 10:59 PM
    What software update? I've upgraded 3 times since Feb. and smartview still works for me. I'm not running a Sprint OS version though. Hmmmm try downgrading?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 11:32 PM
    I'm running the same as you! However my data has stopped after I loaded the newest Desktop. However, it effected my Mac also. They tell me that the data must have simply been working as an error. I said this was BS as nothing works in error on these things. They also quote the fine print that says phone as a modem isn't included in the everything plan. However I was paying for it about a year ago, Phone as modem ...untill I was told buy a CSR that I was paying for a service that was included in my BB plan. I just need it working again. Any thoughts where to get GOOD information? I have loaded new drivers and all I get is a error 678. Phone as modem turns on for a few seconds then shuts off.
    09-05-09 11:46 PM
    Have you tried downgrading your DM? I'm still running 4.3 that came in the box. I don't see how it's the berry. Has to be in the mac software. And sorry I'm a PC guy(and not a very good one at that) lol

09-05-09 11:59 PM
    I am totally confused with how to get my sprint 8330 to work as a modem...tried the setting up a dial up connection and can't figure it out. I know this makes me look stupid but if someone could give me a step by step I would be grateful.

Thanks!
    09-12-09 05:39 PM
    Can you tell me what operating system you are using? This will help me out with your instructions.
    09-12-09 07:32 PM
    Sprint's Technical Support department told me that they made changes recently to cut off anyone who was previously using the phone as a modem function with their BlackBerries. The suits instructed them to do so to force people to sign up for the $59.99 plan that gives you internet access with a USB connection card. Seems they are losing too much money with the free access. I wonder how much money they'll lose with irate customers dropping them for another service.

I tried the #777 dialup technique but even though I have the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software installed (and the SmartView software too), neither my Windows XP nor my Vista laptop see my 8330 as an available modem when I have it connected via USB. Is there some trick to get Windows to see my BlackBerry as a modem?
    09-27-09 11:13 PM
    First off why would you ever call Sprint about something you know you are not suppose to be getting for free? It sorta defeats the whole purpose because they will find a way to stop it if people keep telling them about it.

But secondly I just tried it and it works fine for me so apparently you do not have it set up correctly. It also depends on what operating system you have... If you installed SP2 to Vista it will no longer detect a dial-up modem, not sure why but it doesn't. But I have a laptop with XP on it and it works on there as a dial-up modem all day long.
    09-28-09 08:50 AM
    I am having the same problems. I was using my ic902 hybrid phone for a year as a modem with no problems. no extra plans or charges or anything. the guys in the store told me i can use this blackberry curve i just got as a modem no problem. I downloaded the smart view software. installed all drivers and i am running the blackberry desktop software. I was able to connect once for a few hours right when i installed it all. And that was the last time. I tried re-installing. I tried downgrading to older versions of blackberry desktop software. I tried manually connecting with #777. But nothing. The 1XEV next to the signal strength on my blackberry that indicates i have a good data connection goes to all lower case letters as soon as I try to connect. It is 1XEV all the time until I try to connect with the smart view or manually as modem with #777 then it goes to 1xev and says 678 error. Blah. I called Sprint and they said that PAM cannot be added to any unlimited plans. I have the SEP and i am just recently switching to the any mobile plan. Both which are unlimited everything. Except the anymobile has a restriction on land based calls. who cares. but the lady at sprint told be the PAM plan has to be added to a normal minutes plan. WHAT? So I am paying 69.99 for an unlimited everything, data, calls, text gps, everything except i have 450 minutes for land based calls. So she wanted me to switch to the 900 minute plan even though i'm consistently using over 1,000 minutes a month. The 900 minute plan is 60 bucks. then she can add PAM for 15 bucks making it 75. then she said if i want unlimited text and picture that was 20 bucks. so i'm at 90 now. and then gps was another 10. 100 dollars now. plus i would be going over my minutes every month by hundreds costing me tons!!! they said this is my only option for PAM. ha ha ha ha.

so what i want to know is there any ways to use my phone as a modem other then PAM because that is not an option. manually dialing in with #777 is not an option. and PDANet is not an option since it isn't available for the 8330 curve.

-crow
    09-28-09 02:36 PM
    Usually you get the 678 error when the desktop manager software is not running. What version of windows are you running on your computer? Let me know and I will try and help you out.
    09-28-09 03:55 PM
    i'm using windows vista. i have the desktop software running when i use sprint smartview. but everytime it tries to connect the 1XEV goes to 1xev

-crow
    09-29-09 12:06 PM
    Do you know if you have service pack 2 installed for Vista? Mine does that also... It says 1xev when I connect... But it works fine. Does it say modem enabled at all? And rather than using the sprint software which I have tried before with no results I would just set up a simple dial up connection. Make sure you have the desktop manager running and connect the phone and then click start and connect to... towards the bottom you will see set up new connection. Then set up a new dial up one and see if it detects the dial up modem... It it does then just enter the phone number as #777 and leave every thing else blank and test it out. Also before testing it make sure that the sprint software is not running or just uninstall it completely. Let me know what happens for you.
    09-29-09 12:22 PM
    Sprint's Technical Support department told me that they made changes recently to cut off anyone who was previously using the phone as a modem function with their BlackBerries. The suits instructed them to do so to force people to sign up for the $59.99 plan that gives you internet access with a USB connection card. Seems they are losing too much money with the free access. I wonder how much money they'll lose with irate customers dropping them for another service.

I tried the #777 dialup technique but even though I have the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software installed (and the SmartView software too), neither my Windows XP nor my Vista laptop see my 8330 as an available modem when I have it connected via USB. Is there some trick to get Windows to see my BlackBerry as a modem?
    *****.... NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER CALL SPRINT OR ANY PROVIDER AND TELL THEM WHAT U R DOING.. R U STUPID OR SOMETHING...
    09-29-09 02:34 PM
    USMC1833...it's not their fault they are not a snitch. When Sprint upgraded their system to the ANY MOBILE TO MOBILE plan they figured out the "glitch" that allowed Blackberry users to P.hone A.s M.odem...so now since they took the PAM code off all simply everything plans, it's bye-bye free tethering You now have to lose the everything plan and pay � la carte for everything in order to PAM. We all knew it was too good to be true...all good things must come to an end.
    10-01-09 12:07 AM
    USMC1833...it's not their fault they are not a snitch. When Sprint upgraded their system to the ANY MOBILE TO MOBILE plan they figured out the "glitch" that allowed Blackberry users to P.hone A.s M.odem...so now since they took the PAM code off all simply everything plans, it's bye-bye free tethering You now have to lose the everything plan and pay � la carte for everything in order to PAM. We all knew it was too good to be true...all good things must come to an end.
    How do you figure? I have the simply everything plan and my blackberry still works fine as a modem. On my laptop with XP I can dial up all day and surf the web with no problems.
    10-01-09 12:32 AM
    Mine worked until yesterday, when my new billing cycle started and they added any mobile, anytime to my plan. I have an everything data share plan, and I'm on vista SP2. Oh well, enjoyed it while it lasted.

10-01-09 06:47 AM
    Sprint is charging for PAM (Phone As a Modem), $15 a month. Even if you have it now, it will soon be cut off. They are systematically going through all the lines and disabling PAM unless of course you pay for it.

You can tether using a third party app, but Smartview and DUN is over.
    10-01-09 12:02 PM
    Mine worked until yesterday, when my new billing cycle started and they added any mobile, anytime to my plan. I have an everything data share plan, and I'm on vista SP2. Oh well, enjoyed it while it lasted.

Mine will not work with Vista SP2 at all no matter what I do to it... It will not detect a modem of any sort... Typical Microsoft. Maybe it will work when I get Windows 7. And my plan doesn't end until the 6th so I will see if it works still after that. But the Anywhere, Anytime doesn't really apply to me since I have unlimited everything already but who knows... Just have to wait and see.
    10-01-09 08:11 PM
    *****.... NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER CALL SPRINT OR ANY PROVIDER AND TELL THEM WHAT U R DOING.. R U STUPID OR SOMETHING...
    I sense some minor hostility
    10-01-09 08:14 PM
    Is there anyone who can help me with setting up the dialup network??? I am trying but can not for the life of me change the port to the correct one being port 4. Would love any help with this that i can get. THanks all!
    10-11-09 08:19 PM
    Can you let me know what operation system you are using? That will let me help you with the setup. But also as of recently the dial up does not work on mine anymore... Sprint has blocked the feature so it may not work anyways.
    10-11-09 11:01 PM
    I am using windows xp. So it isn't working all the time on yours now either? Do you have any other suggestions, or is using Tetherberry the best option now. I know it is $50 but if it works the same (and I know it actually works as i have used the trial) then that might be the best option huh? thanks a ton for your help! peace
    10-12-09 01:21 PM
    I just caught up to this thread. I'm using Windows XP, Desktop 5.0, I'm also getting a 678 error, and I never called Sprint ( ). I'm assuming given the length of time that has passed since the last post here that Sprint has shut down this way of using the phone as a modem. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

If it is true, does anyone have any results in using either Sprint's Same View or in using Tetherberry? I'd like to find out if Same View is working, if you have to pay extra to use it, and what the results are. I know that Tetherberry costs $50 - I'd like to know the results are there as well.

TIA
    01-06-10 09:55 PM
    So whats the deal with sprint now. Are we getting internet connection now or not?

I use to connect via bluetooth and making a dialup networking connection. Just got my new laptop and I am trying to setup up internet connection and I can not get it to work. My curve 8330 might be messed up just trying to figure out what is going on before I wipe phone.

Smartview does not connect either.
    I am getting the 678 error. I get "Phone is Modem" to flash up during connection but then it just disappears real fast.

Did sprint shut us down?
    01-25-10 11:00 AM
    i have been on the phone and web chat with sprint and they tell me it is impossible... i downloaded sprint smartview and it finds my signal from my bb and tells me everything there is to know about it.. but it will not let me connect. anyone got any ideas?
    09-04-10 04:28 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD