Anybody using there curve as a modem with sprint data plan? Is it as fast as using a dedicated sprint card for laptop?
    05-15-08 12:04 PM
    It's not going to be as fast as an EVDO card. You will experience the same speed as you are do when using the browser on your phone.
    05-15-08 12:16 PM
    Thats what I thought oh well.
    05-15-08 12:59 PM
    I gotta find out how to do this. First post on this forum. I've been a treo user for years and they used to allow Dial Up Networking via Bluetooth but then Sprint disabled it on the last Treo I just ditched (755p).

I activated it yesterday and I already agree that the Curve > Treo.
    05-15-08 02:00 PM
    I gotta find out how to do this. First post on this forum. I've been a treo user for years and they used to allow Dial Up Networking via Bluetooth but then Sprint disabled it on the last Treo I just ditched (755p).

I activated it yesterday and I already agree that the Curve > Treo.
    post how fast it is when you try it out.
    05-15-08 07:18 PM
    could anyone point me in the right direction for setting it up on sprint. I have searched but all the instructions are for tmobile or att.
    05-16-08 02:41 PM
    In the box with the phone it has the sprint speed brocure. In there it says to go to sprint.com/downoads choose your opporating system and download the new connection mananger thing. I have XP. I tried and the connection mananger list the blackberry's it is for and 83XX is not on the list??????????? wtf. I downloaded it anyway and it just keep telling me to plug in my phone. which is was. Has anyone figured this out
    05-17-08 11:07 PM
    The speeds will be much faster than on your phone's browser. It is the OS on the phones that slow down the data speeds, but when you are in phone as modem mode it will scream. You upload speed wont be as good as a Rev-A card, but your DL speeds should be over 700kbps whereas if you do a speed test on your browser you will hardly ever achieve over 200kbps. go to sprint.com/downloads and download the smartview client, this will work for phone as modem as well as air cards.
    05-18-08 07:25 AM
    To use the phone as a modem for Sprint all you have to do is make sure that you have the Desktop Manager installed so you have the correct drivers for the phone. Then if you are using Vista; with the phone connected by the USB go into your connections and setup a new dial-up connection. For the phone number type in #777 and leave the user name and password blank, you can name it if you choose. After that click connect and it should do the rest for you and set it up and allow you to surf the web. This does not cost a dime unless you do not have unlimited data, which I would not recommend doing this then. As for XP it will be necessary to find out which port the phone is connected to. In this case all you have to do is go to start and right click on my computer and click properties and go into the device manager. From here select Ports (COM & LPT) There should be two of them and the lower of the two is your phone modem and you will need this COM Port to setup the modem. Once you have this information just click start again and select connect to and click all connections at the bottom. From there set up a new dial up connection using the com port you just looked up and set the number to #777 and you should be good to go.
    03-13-09 10:40 AM
    Check out TetherBerry and you can tether it in a better way than by carrier!
    03-13-09 10:47 AM
    Check out TetherBerry and you can tether it in a better way than by carrier!
    Great idea, but my way is free.
    03-13-09 10:53 AM
    I am getting 5-600k download speeds consistently in SoCal, so for basic web usage it is fine. I think Sprint unofficially ignores it, as long as your data usage is not out of line.

Was dead simple to set up as a Bluetooth modem on a Macbook, and as easy on Windows 7.

It was FREE to set up, and I don't have to be concerned about some 3rd party app developer peeking at my data while they "cache" it, or wait for them to upgrade their "servers" (data mining, anyone?) when things slow down.
    03-13-09 10:54 AM
    Ok so i followed the instructions here and it worked without a hitch. Does anyone know if 5GB is the limit for sprint to screw you over for using PAM without the PAM add-on? I have also read somewhere that you could only use 40 Mb of data while tethering without PAM before they got on your back. I just read on an ATT thread that sprint has officially said that abusive PAM usage is several hundred Mb of data in a month and only then will be pursued. How can we be sure?
    Last edited by fatluger1; 08-09-09 at 01:44 AM.
    08-09-09 01:18 AM
    Ok so i followed the instructions here and it worked without a hitch. Does anyone know if 5GB is the limit for sprint to screw you over for using PAM without the PAM add-on? I have also read somewhere that you could only use 40 Mb of data while tethering without PAM before they got on your back. I just read on an ATT thread that sprint has officially said that abusive PAM usage is several hundred Mb of data in a month and only then will be pursued. How can we be sure?
    I have used this method before and while I was using it and I looked online at my data usage and it didn't even appear to use any... So I don't know if it uses minutes or what when you connect a PAM. I tend to use a lot of data from my phone anyways as I use it for watching the Sprint TV while I am waiting or browse the internet which usually adds up to over a GB per month anyhow. I really don't think Sprint will bother you about it so I would just use it until somebody comes up with a reason not to.
    08-09-09 09:42 AM
    I downloaded the free SprintView off of Sprint's website yesterday and works like a charm. Will be great for when I'm at my mother's house in the Blue Ridge Mountain area of VA in her retirement park where NO ONE has wi-fi I can latch onto.
    08-09-09 12:09 PM
    Sprint allows you guys to tether your berries without an additional fee?

Damn...Verizon charges me $15/month or so.
    08-09-09 12:24 PM
    Sprint allows you guys to tether your berries without an additional fee?

Damn...Verizon charges me $15/month or so.
    Yeah we can do it... But it is something your not suppose to be able to do but works anyways to our benefit for free. All you have to do is connect it to your computer and set up a dial up connection... And then select the BB as the modem and don't use a user name or password and put #777 as the phone number. That works for sprint... Not sure what it will do for Verizon but may be worth a shot.
    08-09-09 01:45 PM
    Going to try it now. Sprint wants me to have two plans for one phone to do this.
    08-09-09 08:21 PM
    I downloaded the free SprintView off of Sprint's website yesterday and works like a charm. Will be great for when I'm at my mother's house in the Blue Ridge Mountain area of VA in her retirement park where NO ONE has wi-fi I can latch onto.
    SprintView??? I am lost.
    08-09-09 08:45 PM
    SprintView??? I am lost.
    That is a program you can download if you are a Sprint customer to use your PAM. Since you are with Verizon it does you no good. Did you happen to have any luck with the #777 and setting it up manually?
    08-09-09 08:47 PM
    Yeah we can do it... But it is something your not suppose to be able to do but works anyways to our benefit for free. All you have to do is connect it to your computer and set up a dial up connection... And then select the BB as the modem and don't use a user name or password and put #777 as the phone number. That works for sprint... Not sure what it will do for Verizon but may be worth a shot.
    Glad you guys found a hack for it to save some money. Not going to try it with Verizon as I've been paying them over a year for the capability; I'm used to getting scr3wed. lol.

Good luck - hope Sprint doesn't close the loophole.
    08-10-09 04:39 PM
    To use the phone as a modem for Sprint all you have to do is make sure that you have the Desktop Manager installed so you have the correct drivers for the phone. Then if you are using Vista; with the phone connected by the USB go into your connections and setup a new dial-up connection. For the phone number type in #777 and leave the user name and password blank, you can name it if you choose. After that click connect and it should do the rest for you and set it up and allow you to surf the web. This does not cost a dime unless you do not have unlimited data, which I would not recommend doing this then. As for XP it will be necessary to find out which port the phone is connected to. In this case all you have to do is go to start and right click on my computer and click properties and go into the device manager. From here select Ports (COM & LPT) There should be two of them and the lower of the two is your phone modem and you will need this COM Port to setup the modem. Once you have this information just click start again and select connect to and click all connections at the bottom. From there set up a new dial up connection using the com port you just looked up and set the number to #777 and you should be good to go.
    do you know how to do it your way on a mac?
    how do you make sure the drivers are correct and everything?
    Last edited by devinwhozzz; 08-27-09 at 09:53 PM.
    08-27-09 09:48 PM
    do you know how to do it your way on a mac?
    how do you make sure the drivers are correct and everything?
    As far as the drivers go for the PC you just have to install the Desktop Manager... But for a Mac I would assume it would be something similar. I just looked on the Blackberry website and there is a program called PocketMac for Blackberry that allows you to sync your Blackberry to your Mac so I would assume that would get you the correct drivers. But I don't have a Mac so I have no idea how you would go about setting up a dial up modem on it, but that program should come with all the correct drivers you need.
    08-28-09 03:43 AM
    The question I had regarding this is: When you're tethered to the BB, does it actually charge to the phone air minutes or the data? I know I probably don't fully understand this, but my plan has unlimited data and texting, but not unlimited phone minutes. So, since it's a modem per se, my question is whether it's going to burn up the phone minutes while tethered, or is it going to use the unlimited data as you say. Again, I'm with sprint - lemme know asap.

Thanks
    08-28-09 09:23 PM
    It uses data not minutes....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 10:04 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD