Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

That site is the best because you can get a close server. Just pick the ones closest to the yellow pyramid and take an average to get an idea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yep, that's the same one I used, and I'm only getting about 500. Not bad in a pinch, but it could be better.

10-31-08 03:25 AM
    Sprint's data network is extremely impressive in Colorado... I work near Iliff and Quebec and I have never seen speeds under 1mbps there.
    10-31-08 03:42 AM
    Wowza! Not bad for cell technology, eh? I live in Colorado but I travel in 48 states, so I really need the coverage that VZW provides. Literally no matter where I go, I am rarely out of coverage. If I never left Colorado, I might try Sprint.

10-31-08 04:00 AM
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/347797033.png

That's here in Arvada where I know for a fact Sprint's towers don't have more than a single T1 line... Just took that test just now so I could show you.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the information about SmartView. I never knew that SmartView would connect a BlackBerry without PAM. It wouldn't do it for my Mogul, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Ethrem; 10-31-08 at 04:08 AM.
    10-31-08 04:05 AM
    I have T-mobile and my laptop runs Window Vista. Do I use the instuctions for the Windows XP or 2000? is the installation diffrent if runnng Vista? Thank you..
    11-01-08 11:41 AM
    I'm glad where I work supplied my blackberry and all the trimmings. They even paid for tethering and VZNavigator or I wouldn't have them. I guess this is one of the perks since they sure as hades don't pay well enough for me to foot that bill.
    11-01-08 01:52 PM
    This works great, Thanks for the info and saving me some money.
    11-01-08 04:04 PM
    is there a way that i can connect via wifi?
    i cant afford a $20 data plan >.<
    i would like to know the same... can this be done via wifi? no data plan...
    11-06-08 12:27 PM
    I've never been able to get this to work for me. Not with T-Mobile or AT&T. I have unlimited data, but do I need a tethering plan as well?
    11-06-08 12:44 PM
    Hello,
    I was fortune enough to get the modem setup on my Vista LapTop, Well with this being said everything worked fine for roughly 2 days or so, I tried using it today and it connects etc... etc... but I get the Limited Connectivity, does anyone know why all of the sudden I am getting this ? I am using AT&T for service.
    11-12-08 09:27 AM
    I have T-mobile and my laptop runs Window Vista. Do I use the instuctions for the Windows XP or 2000? is the installation diffrent if runnng Vista? Thank you..
    Use the XP instructions, however, follow this post as well:http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...tml#post818926
    11-12-08 09:38 AM
    i would like to know the same... can this be done via wifi? no data plan...
    If you have wifi, why do you need the modem?
    11-12-08 09:44 AM
    Just got my blackberry Curve 8310 setup with these directions on both XP Pro and Windows Vista Home premium. Thanks group.
    02-21-09 10:57 PM
    wow that's nuts!!!!!! On sprint you can use it for FREE!!!!!!!!
    02-21-09 10:59 PM
    do you guys have a clue to tethering with Blackberry storm 9530,,,, i really need that, thanks guys
    03-06-09 03:17 AM
    wow that's nuts!!!!!! On sprint you can use it for FREE!!!!!!!!
    TMO as well. Well, it's part of the Blackberry total plan.
    03-06-09 06:37 AM
    question....if i set up by bb curve 8310 to tether using the instructions in this thread and did not contact at&t about it....will they charge me?
    03-08-09 05:22 PM
    If ATT requires a tethering feature, it most likey will not even work till you do.
    03-08-09 05:36 PM
    Oh it works very well on at&t. I've been using it for quite some time now.

03-08-09 06:01 PM
    Yes it works, kinda slow, but I never told them I was doing it. Still asking, u think they'll charge?

03-10-09 10:39 AM
    If its consistently over their limit each month they probably will start charging you for it.

03-11-09 02:41 PM
    I have a Curve (8320) T- Mobile, and a MacBook OSX.
    I spent five agonizing days of trying to use my Blackberry as a modem.
    I was told by a supervisor at T-Mobile support, that they don't support Mac.
    That's a bunch of crud, I got it to work.
    First download the scripts from taniwha.org.uk
    You want the one under Windows Smartphones & Blackberry. You want the Blackberry 3G scripts.
    Download those to you desk top.
    Unzip the folder and put the one that's listed as 3G CID1 in your modem scripts folder, and close that folder.
    Now I had to go through the Network screen to do this.
    Click your "apple" icon and choose "System Preferences" Then click the "Advanced" button to enter your phone vendor, (choose "Other" from the drop down menu) and phone model that is under the "Advanced" screen.
    Under model is where you insert the modem script that says 3G CID1.
    Pick ignore dial tone when dialing.
    On the PPP tab go to Sessions drop down menu to: Configurations and uncheck everything that is checked. click OK.
    On the main screen of your Network under Telephone, type in: wap.viocestream.com all lower case.
    In the username and password: GPRS
    Check the the bottom that says: show modem status in menu bar
    Click Set up your bluetooth device follow the instructions on the set up wizard.
    Make sure your blackberry is discoverable mode.
    Choose your phone and hit Continue
    Mac will take a few second and will give you a passkey. Enter that on your device.
    Your phone will ask you if you want to accept this request from the mac. Check "don't ask again" and then, "YES"
    The mac will gather information about your phone.
    Make sure that the "Access the internet using your phone's data connection" is checked.
    on the next screen you will see the info that you entered in the Network setup: Phone - Other/ Phone Model - Should say, 3G CID1
    The phone number box Put in: wap.voicestream.com
    Check both boxes at the bottom of the screen. Hit Continue then Quit.
    You should be done. so know you should be able to connect.
    One thing that I failed to mention is - in your phone; go to Options/ Advance Options/ TCP and in the APN box put in wap.voicestream.com
    If you have connection problems still make sure your airport is off and your phone is not in wi-fi mode and says " edge" as the network.
    You may have to reboot your computer and reboot your phone by taking the battery out for a few minutes then booting back up.
    If you don't have edge then you will have to call T-Mobile support and see if they can put you on that network.
    Hope this helps.
    PS: that *99**1#/*99# did nothing for me.
    03-21-09 11:30 AM
    Can someone tell me if this method will work with Altell service?

thanks
    03-31-09 10:07 AM
    I have an 8310 on AT&T, and am not having a whole lot of luck with this yet...is anything needed in the username and password fields when trying to connect? I've seen varying answers in different threads, but the instructions in the OP say to use the ones from your service provider. In Options-Advanced > TCP, I get wap.cingular for an APN, WAP@CINGULARGPRS<dot>COM for a username, and 9 asterisks for a password - I'm assuming it's CINGULAR1. I'm getting 628 errors.

buckwild, any hints?

Thanks
    06-29-09 09:25 PM
    In a different thread, they suggested retyping the double-quotes directly from your keyboard rather than cutting & pasting (for the initialization string) and typing the APN in all-caps. Those tricks fixed my 628 error.
    06-29-09 10:38 PM
105 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD