Awesome Used the XP instructions to get it to work on My Vista WTFG!!!!
    ps I took My laptop to AT&T store & the salesman who has the same laptop & same 8310 curve could not figure out how to do this after 2&1/2 hrs!!
    02-07-08 10:06 PM
    The Mac can be used with the BB curve but you need to dual boot and launch XP. I have gotten it to work.

I recently installed BES and when I did I had to call at&t to have BES activated. The rep told me that I would loose the tethering capability if going the BES route. I can no longer get Curve to work as modem with my laptop.

Does anyone know whether this is actual fact or not? It kinda sux that you have to choose either BES or tethering.

Thanks!
    02-07-08 11:49 PM
    I used those steps and the APN for my carrier and it works !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    can you help i still cannot get my 8100 to work as a modem
    02-08-08 01:06 PM
    I have t-mobile and I keep getting a 692 error. I have the blackberry manager running in the background and the device is being picked up by the machine. Any thoughts?

Edit: N/M, I'm a silly goose. I wasn't "connected" under my blackberry manager. Thanks for the help!!

-Tony Vida; TK 3204; Austin, Tx
    Last edited by vida; 03-31-08 at 12:28 PM.
    03-31-08 12:06 PM
    Hello everyone,
    thank you for posting the setting for tmo, i try with my curve and laptop and it work.
    i have a question do, when i am online with laptop connected tru the curve will i be using my voice plan minutes or use just my data plan wich is unlimited.
    thank you for any reply
    04-01-08 01:40 AM
    Hello everyone,
    thank you for posting the setting for tmo, i try with my curve and laptop and it work.
    i have a question do, when i am online with laptop connected tru the curve will i be using my voice plan minutes or use just my data plan wich is unlimited.
    thank you for any reply
    You will be using your unlimited data plan. Don't you just love only paying $20? I called and checked this when I set my modem up.
    04-01-08 03:55 AM
    thanks for the instructions!! worked the very first time.
    04-05-08 11:40 PM
    There is surely something wonky with the curve and using it as a modem through bluetooth with any mac product. I have a pearl on cingular/att and this feature works flawlessly. I recently went to the local ATT store and acquired a shiny new curve, and as much as I like it, it would not in any way stay connected. Same issues as perishible press documents. I tried every way i could dream of. Tech support from ATT and BB would point at each other and at Apple. I know it isn't Apple cause it works with the Pearl, so wtf? The most important feature for me is that I can stay connected to the internet, and no amount of B***S*** or promises that new OS updates that haven't come will change the fact that IT DOESNT WORK WITH A CURVE. So I waited until the last day of the 30 days to return the curve hoping the update would come out and solve the issues cause i really, really, like the curve. since BB has dragged @$$ getting out an update that no one knows will solve the problem or not, I am back on my pearl which still works flawlessly with tethering to my macbook, and am seriously looking for an alternative smart phone as I am now very disappointed with this lack of support to us mac users..
    Last edited by ErockZ; 04-07-08 at 01:50 AM.
    04-07-08 01:26 AM
    How fast of a connection speed will u have doing this??

04-07-08 01:31 AM
    When it comes to being connected and not being connected, a slow connection is great to have. Depending on my cell signal strength, I am getting around 384 ish.....not T1 like I have at home, but worth having in the middle of nowhere, on the tour bus, in a hotel lobby, airport terminal , etc. Nothing beats getting online without having to take your phone out of your backpack or pocket. Bluetooth is awesome, the only restriction is that I have to be within 30 feet of the phone.
    Last edited by ErockZ; 04-07-08 at 01:49 AM.
    04-07-08 01:46 AM
    I have followed all the instructions to use my 8320 as a modem and sometimes I'll be able to connect to the internet sometimes I won't. I am using windows Vista. When I can connect the connection is VERY slow. Any tips out there on how to make this work on Vista.
    04-20-08 10:31 AM
    will this process only work for laptops or can i use it on my desktop? if it is only for laptop is there a way to do it for desktop also?
    05-23-08 08:29 AM
    I just got my T-Mobile 8320 and I love it. I have one issue that really bothers me.
    I still live with my parents so I'm on dialup and they won't get a broadband connection so I love using the Blackberry as a modem for my laptop because it's faster than the dialup.
    Since T-Mobile doesn't have a tower nearby my house, I roam on the AT&T network. There is a AT&T tower right front of my house so I get excellent coverage at my house. I've never been on the T-Mobile network when I'm in my house since I got the Blackberry.
    So, I first used the DM 4.2 to use the device as a modem. It would connect, let me be online, and I was very excited until it disconnected me after being on for only a few minutes. After it gets disconnected, I'm not able to connect the internet or use ANY email/web browsing my blackberry again until I remove the battery and put it back then everything will be back to normal.
    So, I downloaded DM 4.3 and downloaded the lastest software.
    I got connected to the internet, been on for a few minutes then I still did get disconnected every few minutes so which means I'd have to remove the battery from the blackberry, put it back and connect again. This would happen every few minutes and it's very annoying because you'd have to wait for another few minutes for the device to start up.
    I got very frustrated and tried a few different T-Mobile extra intilization strings and still had the same problem for all the strings.
    Since I use the AT&T network while I'm in my home area, I thought using an AT&T string would solve the problem. So I tried the AT&T string. While using the AT&T string, I was not able to connect to the internet at all so I knew it wouldn't work.
    So now I'm using the Blackberry as my modem on the T-Mobile's string and I get disconnected every 15 minutes and would wait for another 5 minutes everytime this happens for the blackberry to start up from a hard reset.
    This is very frustrating for me because I'm a heavy internet user so I'd like something that is a little faster than dialup and my dad and I can finally be online at the same time.
    I'm using Vista Home Premium.
    So, I've been doing a lot of research and seems like I can't find what I'm looking for. . .
    Does anyone knows what's the reason why this is occuring AND is there any solution?
    I thought the issue was because I'm on the AT&t tower when I'm using it as a modem so there could be a misconfiguration since it's a T-Mobile blackberry, but now I don't think so since I tried using the AT&t string too and it still didn't work.
    Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks.
    05-28-08 11:28 PM
    I'm having the exact same problem with having to do battery pulls every few minutes.. I called T-mobile support and of course they werent any help. Also when I actually am connected it goes way slower than dial up , I dont expect to have broadband type speeds but it would be nice if I didnt have enough time to make a cup of coffee while waiting for a page to load Any tips on staying connected and possibly speeding it up a little would be greatly appreciated.
    05-31-08 08:50 AM
    followed step by step and now up and going. in fact using the tether connection to reply. muchas grab *** and poor some more. are there any other must have apps....???
    06-25-08 10:52 PM
    I'm using windows vista, and after connecting the blackberry to the laptop via USB, when I loko in the "modems" section of the device manager, there is no modem listed (other than the one that came installed in my laptop). Once I'm able to get vista to install the BB modem, I'll be fine from there as per all of the forum postings...can anyone assist?
    07-26-08 05:38 PM
    I'm using windows vista, and after connecting the blackberry to the laptop via USB, when I loko in the "modems" section of the device manager, there is no modem listed (other than the one that came installed in my laptop). Once I'm able to get vista to install the BB modem, I'll be fine from there as per all of the forum postings...can anyone assist?
    DO you have the DM installed? This needs to be done as this installs the drivers.
    07-26-08 07:23 PM
    I read the instructions posted here in the forums and they worked like a charm, I did the usb cable first then tackled the BT. I have a IVT dongle with bluesoleil software, i was having trouble with the software so I read about using WinXP native drivers, I deleted all the software, then plugged in the dongle and let windows find the updated drivers, use the Microsoft BT wizard to pair your BB and it worked, Now I can sync and connect to the internet thru usb or BT, at home or at work, This baby is so sweet!
    09-26-08 07:34 AM
    Thanks for the instructions earlier in the thread. Wonderfull!!
    10-03-08 08:42 AM
    is there a way that i can connect via wifi?
    i cant afford a $20 data plan >.<
    10-16-08 01:43 PM
    Emily this should help you, I was successful at getting my Curve to work as a modem using the steps below. Make sure you follow the directions & type everything in just as you see it. Step 2 Line 6 is very important

Using BB as a Modem

A BlackBerry device (with tethered modem capability) can be used as an external modem to connect a laptop computer to the Internet.

To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:
    1. Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later
    2. Set up the Internet Access Point Name (APN) (one time only)
    3. Configure dial-up networking (one time only)
    4. Connect the BlackBerry device to BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    5. Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking

Step 1

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later on the laptop or personal computer.
    When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that enable the BlackBerry device to communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.
    Note: If you are upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Step 2

Set up Internet APN.
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
    4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
    5. In the Standard Modem Properties window, Click the Advanced Tab.
    6. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following: +cgdcont=1,"IP","<your Internet APN>"
    (remove<>when typing in ur APN)
    Example; +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular"
    Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN, contact your service provider.
    7. Click OK.
    8. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.

ATT/Cingular Settings
    APN: wap.cingular
    user name for APN: [email protected]
    Password: CINGULAR1
    This is how I found my settings on my BB Curve - Options>Advanced Options>TCP. The APN will say, for example, wap.cingular

Step 3

To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that corresponds with the operating system you are using.
    Windows XP Operating System
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
    2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
    5. Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
    6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
    7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
    8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
    9. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    11. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
    12. Click Finish.
    13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    16. In the Properties window, click OK.

Windows 2000 Operating System
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
    3. Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
    6. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    7. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    8. Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
    9. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    10. In the Properties window, verify that Modem � Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
    11. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    12. In the Properties window, click OK.

Step 4

Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Connected. The device must be identified by BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection.
    Important: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.

Step 5
    Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.
    Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Connect the BlackBerry device to the laptop computer.
    1. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    2. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
    3. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. (this should be saved there already)
    4. Click Dial.

This will solve your problem
    My Black Berry is a 8310 curve, I followed the instructions and it worked very nice
    10-30-08 01:33 AM
    Is there any way around the Verizon charges for using the Curve as a modem?

Any help is appreciated...I'm on the road a lot and it would be great to have internet access on my laptop!
    10-31-08 02:25 AM
    Surprisingly, the Curve is very fast for a Rev 0 device. I hooked it up to SmartView today and measured downloads at about 1.7mbps and uploads about 120kbps. Latency wasn't too bad either - about 260ms. Definitely not as fast as my Rev A data card which averages 2.4mbps down, 600kbps up, and 130ms latency but its still faster than I expected.

I haven't decided whether or not I want to drop my data card yet. If the Curve had Rev A, it would be a no-brainer.

10-31-08 02:37 AM
    Surprisingly, the Curve is very fast for a Rev 0 device. I hooked it up to SmartView today and measured downloads at about 1.7mbps and uploads about 120kbps. Latency wasn't too bad either - about 260ms. Definitely not as fast as my Rev A data card which averages 2.4mbps down, 600kbps up, and 130ms latency but its still faster than I expected.
    What do use to measure your download speed? I'm not getting anywhere near that.

When I go to speedtest.net and speakeasy.net and run the speed tests, my rev 0 tethered curve gets around 500 kbps for download speed. This is with full signal on 1XEV Verizon. When I measure an actual file download with the IE browser like at download.com for instance, it says about 60 to 70 Kbps.

BTW, I tried the instructions here, queried the modem, and opened up IE only to see Verizon's page telling me that it will cost me 30 bucks a month, so I signed up.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 10-31-08 at 02:49 AM.
    10-31-08 02:46 AM
    Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

That site is the best because you can get a close server. Just pick the ones closest to the yellow pyramid and take an average to get an idea.

10-31-08 02:49 AM
105 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD