Previous discussions have made it almost clear that one needs a data plan on the curve to be able to use many applications even over wifi. If I travel overseas and get a local SIM card (without a data plan) for a short period, will I still be able to use apps like gmaps over wifi? If not, the very idea of having a quad band phone with wifi seems ridiculous. Any thoughts??
    04-06-08 03:03 PM
    Is your phone unlocked?
    04-06-08 03:05 PM
    Previous discussions have made it almost clear that one needs a data plan on the curve to be able to use many applications even over wifi. If I travel overseas and get a local SIM card (without a data plan) for a short period, will I still be able to use apps like gmaps over wifi? If not, the very idea of having a quad band phone with wifi seems ridiculous. Any thoughts??
    GMAPS as a whole...the application itself is written to use a data connection. NOT WiFi..Im not sure what you dont understand about this.
    04-06-08 03:13 PM
    gotta unlock your phone
    make sure you turn off data so mail doesnt get forwarded
    i didnt know about gmaps, thats too bad!
    04-06-08 03:50 PM
    yes, my phone is unlocked. Sandman, do you know if I can use any map software that can be used over wifi when I travel overseas?
    04-06-08 03:51 PM
    The quad band enables you to make a call once you insert a local SIM card, provided your phone is unlocked.
    The good side of having a Wi Fi is that even without a SIM inserted, the built-in browser will work. Not all applications work over Wi Fi, especially Google Maps. I don't think there are any Map applications currently in the market which can work just over Wi Fi.
    04-06-08 08:37 PM
    u need to realize that wifi on blackberries is still new. so the developers of apps havent yet written new versions of there apps to be able to use wifi. its really not blackberry's fault. u just gotta wait for developers to do their work. for example i believe the new opera is suppose to be able to use wifi.

its great to be able to use the browser with wifi, but yeah we're all waiting for more apps that work with wifi.
    04-06-08 08:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD