Please Help Me!!! I am going to Italy in May 2010 for my anniversary and my kids will be at home. I so want to be able to keep in touch with them as inexpensively as possible. I went into the verizon store and spoke with the first person I saw (which I think was a mistake, maybe not) who told me I would have to purchase an entirely new phone. This didn't make me entirely happy since I just purchased my new curve. Do I have to purchase a new world phone? Can I use my curve over in Italy by adding a international plan for the time we are gone? What do I do? I knew by coming here you guys could help me out. THanks so much.
    12-07-09 05:11 AM
    The rest of the world is GSM networks. Your Verizon is CDMA. It won't work there, regardless of what you do to it.
    12-07-09 07:40 AM
    You can find good travel advice on ricksteves.com and other travel sites. You will also need to determine the cheapest way for your kids to call you.

Rick Steves' Europe: Mobile Phones in Europe

PS I highly recommend Rick's books and DVDs. See if your library has them.
    12-07-09 07:49 AM
    The rest of the world is GSM networks. Your Verizon is CDMA. It won't work there, regardless of what you do to it.
    The entire "rest of the world" does not all use GSM. CDMA is used in other places besides the US. Italy, however, is not one of them.
    12-07-09 08:19 AM
    You could upgrade to a Tour, though, and use it in Italy. Otherwise, no dice, as stated above.
    12-07-09 08:22 AM
    Hello there,

Your best way to stay in contact with your kids is to purchase a cheap unlocked GSM phone, it doesnt have to be a smart phone, just a basic phone for talk and text, you can get one off ebay, craigslist etc. for cheap... once you land in italy, pic up a local sim card for a pay as you go account and add money to your account. its usually pretty cheap to text, also, you can send your children your phone number, and they can call you using a long distance phone card specifically for calling italy/europe.

This is the best option in my opinion,

I have about 10 sim cards from various countries that I have visited...I'm with rogers in canada and their roaming rates are outrageous..

good luck and happy travels,

titan
    12-07-09 01:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD