I am using a BB 8330 with Verizon right now; I find the data plan too expensive and I use only about 5 minutes of voice each month. Most of my BB use is as a PDA.

Verizon tells me that if I cancel the data package the BB will be completely unusable, whether as PDA or phone. I notice on the crackberry forums that BB can be used as a PDA alone. How would I do this? If I cancel my voice and data with Verizon would my phone become inoperable?

Is there a way to have a BB with a voice plan but no data plan?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

EM3
    06-16-10 10:04 AM
    Not with verizon. Even non-smartphones that can have internet access require a data plan now, I believe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-10 10:14 AM
    If all you want to use is the calendar, memopad, tasks, voice recorder, etc., you should be able to do that without any plan. To verify, turn off all connections in Manage Connections. You should be able to do all these things, and synchronize using Desktop Manager. If this works for you, you should be able to cancel with Verizon completely. You will need another means for your 5 minutes of calling.
    06-16-10 10:19 AM
    You might also take a look at lower cost services such as Boost Mobile (which WILL allow your 8330) or Cricket for your calling needs.
    06-16-10 10:23 AM
    Boost Mobile will not allow a Verizon 8330, only Sprint's or their own brand. You would have to modify your BB to work on Cricket or MetroPCS. You should however be able to use your BB for anything that does not need data or voice if you close your plan.
    Last edited by hightack; 06-16-10 at 12:50 PM.
    06-16-10 12:48 PM
    They most certainly will, I asked them. You have to take it to a Boost store to have it reprogrammed.

NOTE: They indicated they'd allow ANY phone from ANY carrier *IF* it's one they currently carry, such as the 8330.

It's easy enough to email them and ask if you can use your phone:
    https://support.boostmobile.com/cont...tomercare.html
    Last edited by xs11e; 06-16-10 at 02:35 PM.
    06-16-10 01:16 PM
    Call and ask if you like, but I know for a fact that you can not use any phone but Boost's own brand, or some Sprint phones on their network. Only phones that are in the Sprint/Boost Mobile ESN/MEID database are allowed on their network.
    06-16-10 06:15 PM
    Call and ask if you like, but I know for a fact that you can not use any phone but Boost's own brand, or some Sprint phones on their network. Only phones that are in the Sprint/Boost Mobile ESN/MEID database are allowed on their network.
    I didn't suggest you call, that gets you a minimum wage flunky, you must email following the link I gave, that way it gets kicked up to the correct person before it's answered. It took about 3 days for me to get an answer and Boost Mobile says what you know for a fact is wrong. I prefer to believe them rather than you, OK?

As for the ESN/MEID, your phone gets entered into their data base, how did you think their other phones get into the data base? Someone with proper permissions opens the data base, enters the ESN/MEID and clicks on "SAVE" and that's all there is to it and that explains why you must go to a Boost Mobile store to have the phone programed, I suspect they have to call in the ESN/MEID to their home office.
    06-17-10 01:02 AM
    Thank you all for your tips.
    06-19-10 08:47 AM
    I didn't suggest you call, that gets you a minimum wage flunky, you must email following the link I gave, that way it gets kicked up to the correct person before it's answered. It took about 3 days for me to get an answer and Boost Mobile says what you know for a fact is wrong. I prefer to believe them rather than you, OK?

As for the ESN/MEID, your phone gets entered into their data base, how did you think their other phones get into the data base? Someone with proper permissions opens the data base, enters the ESN/MEID and clicks on "SAVE" and that's all there is to it and that explains why you must go to a Boost Mobile store to have the phone programed, I suspect they have to call in the ESN/MEID to their home office.
    Sorry, but I prefer to believe the local Boost Mobile Dealer.
    06-19-10 11:11 AM
    Sorry, but I prefer to believe the local Boost Mobile Dealer.
    Who apparently doesn't know.
    06-19-10 03:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD