What is the point of the "Category" field in each contact's profile??

So far I have found that I cannot set ringtones for a category, I cannot send a mass text to a category, and I cannot send a mass email to a category...

Is there another field that I could be using to accomplish any of these tasks???

CHEERS
    12-11-08 03:31 PM
    About categories

You can create categories to group your contacts, tasks, and memos. You can also narrow the contacts, tasks, and memos that appear based on categories.

Category names are not case sensitive. More than one category can apply to a contact, task, or memo. If you use IBM� Lotus Notes�, you can apply more than one category to a task on your BlackBerry� device, but only one category synchronizes with the task in Lotus Notes.

Categories are shared between the address book, the task list, and the memo list and changes that you make in one application are made in all applications.
    Categories are used for internal filtering of your data, Personal and Business are the defaults. Unfortunatly there is no way to specify a category for actions like sending group emails.
    12-11-08 03:43 PM
    What is the point of the "Category" field in each contact's profile??

So far I have found that I cannot set ringtones for a category, I cannot send a mass text to a category, and I cannot send a mass email to a category...

Is there another field that I could be using to accomplish any of these tasks???

CHEERS
    You can use Groups in the Address Book to send mass texts and mass emails. Groups in the Address Book function just like Distribution Lists in Outlook. Unfortunately, Groups and Distribution Lists don't synchronize with each other, so you can't create them in one place and synch them to the other. You have to create them in both places if you want to use them in both.
    12-11-08 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD