I'm having a problem with my USB port, it's become loose and just before it happened, I'd have to hold the usb cord just in the right place for it to charge or connect to the computer. since it loosened, however I am unable to get a charge or connect at all. my question is, are these ports removable, like do they just snap back in place? I hate the thought of taking my phone apart, but it looks like I'm going to have to. I saw where there are replacements at places like cnn.cn, just wondering how easy this thing would be to pop back into place or take it out and reinstall. I looked for videos on taking apart the curve but they didn't really address the USB port. if anyone has had any experience with this let me know!
    03-25-09 08:54 PM
    It's soldered on the main board, not a do it yourself project unless you have the right tools and skills.

Check out BlackBerry Repair Shop - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices

Usb port replaced for $80

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 09:08 PM
    ouch... yeah, that costs more than my phone did lol.

forget that, I have enough skill to solder one back on. we'll see... I found a couple of DIY websites just for that.
    Last edited by ninja please; 03-26-09 at 01:11 AM.
    03-26-09 01:07 AM
    Can you keep us posted on how difficult it really is? I tried to take one off of a 8100 and I guess my soldering iron wasn't getting hot enough. It's in a tight spot to get at. Good luck!
    03-26-09 01:33 AM
    Can you keep us posted on how difficult it really is? I tried to take one off of a 8100 and I guess my soldering iron wasn't getting hot enough. It's in a tight spot to get at. Good luck!
    I'm gonna order a replacement part tomorrow, as soon as it get in I'll try it and post what happens... however good or bad it may turn out.
    03-26-09 04:00 AM
    ouch... yeah, that costs more than my phone did lol.

forget that, I have enough skill to solder one back on. we'll see... I found a couple of DIY websites just for that.
    I'm gonna order a replacement part tomorrow, as soon as it get in I'll try it and post what happens... however good or bad it may turn out.
    Well if you solder as good as you build themes, then no worries, eh?
    03-26-09 06:37 AM
    Good luck ninja and I agree your themes are amazing!
    03-26-09 06:39 AM
    Before attempting anything have you tried using another usb cable and charger? I had this problem with one charger where I had to hold it in a certian spot, I bought a new one and ever since then my problem was solved. Try that before anything
    03-26-09 06:58 AM
    Before attempting anything have you tried using another usb cable and charger? I had this problem with one charger where I had to hold it in a certian spot, I bought a new one and ever since then my problem was solved. Try that before anything
    at first I thought maybe it was my usb cable to the computer, so I tried another. it did better than the other one, which makes me think that the other one maybe shorted it out or bent the pins because one of them is bent and another one is missing... probably because of my own fault of being careless when I jam it in there and disconnect, same reason why it came loose I'm thinking :roleyes:. I tried charging it with 2 different wall chargers, same thing happened.

I ordered a replacement from cnn.cn, it was surprisingly cheap (4.99)... I'm hoping this place isn't like truesupplier, they stole my cc info and tried to make a 250$ purchase with it. but people seem to have good luck with them so far.

and as for my soldering skills... LOL I think I maybe I should stick to themes.

we'll see!
    03-26-09 03:43 PM
    I think you will need some very fine soldering tips, and heatsinks at the very minimum, or you risk damaging the other components on the main board.

Maybe you can try to find a local electronics repair center that could remove/replace the USB connector for a fee?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 03:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD