For the wizards: I can't charge my Curve 8320 off my USB (not at warp speed, only dreaded "impulse" power that throws the insufficient current warning on the BB). I'm using Vista Ultimate, and it's a new T-mobile 8320. Yes, I have installed desktop manager, three times in fact. I tried the CD, the latest from T-mobile, and the latest from RIM - all three versions are the same anyway. I have the 4.2.2.171 (I think) on the blackberry, so it's definitely not drivers at either end.

When I check power management in the USB Root Hub, I can see that when the Blackberry is connected, it's only drawing 100 ma. Obviously I'd like to send the full 500 into it, but there's no actual power management options other than allowing vista to turn the whole hub off. When connected, several things are recognized at once, i.e. a mass storage device (I have a microSD card), the "blackberry" itself, etc.

From the USB root hub, I tried to force feed the device drivers from the installation package, the latest RimUSB.sys, .inf, etc. but it always tells me it has the latest drivers and won't install. Also, when I check the driver, it's a USB root hub driver from microsoft. That may or may not be right.

What I don't get is why the BB DeviceManager can't deal with this properly.
    10-16-07 12:58 PM
    bump

This is driving me crazy, anyone else experience this?
    10-16-07 08:26 PM
    mine charges fine - try removing and reinstalling software cause that is what installs needed files to charge BB on usb
    10-16-07 09:34 PM
    Yeah, like I said, done that three times. I understand that drivers are required to tell vista to deploy all 500 ma over the root hub.
    10-16-07 10:25 PM
    you said you were using a USB hub? ... try directly connecting the BB to your computer as alot of USB hubs cant handle the higher powered devices ...
    10-17-07 07:50 AM
    You, sir, are the master. Turns out only 2 of my 10 USB ports, even those wired directly to the motherboard, will pump out the necessary 1.21 gigawatts. Thanks again!
    10-17-07 09:44 AM
    I thought that might be it ... I had similar issues when I was trying to find a USB hub for my peripherals ... Made sure to get a POWERED USB hub to make sure that everything could get a sufficient amount of power and not cause any alarms ... Glad I could be of service
    10-17-07 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD