Let me try this again, since my last post was not too helpful to say the least.

I am a college student with Verizon and have the original Moto Q(no data). I used it last semester for keeping my schedule and homeworks(tasks) and it did a great job for me. I am trying to come up with a list of benefits I would have by upgrading to a blackberry (with data), specifically tasks that would benefit a college student.

The reason I bring this up is because I am up for NE2 very soon and I feel that I either have to make the decision to get a blackberry now or wait 2 years until NE2 again, since I do not want to have to pay the $400 retail.

Benefits of upgrading to a curve with data, so far I have come up with:
    -MUCH better/more reliable battery life
    -Internet browsing
    -Gmail/Outlook/Blackberry calendar sync
    -I would like to upload everything to Google Docs, and with a berry I could access it anywhere
    -instant email

I know there are a lot of former Q users out there and would love to hear their opinions.
    06-24-08 11:15 PM
    I tried posting this on the last thread, but ...well...anyways:

I've got what I think is a good reason: You can get our FREE software at www gwhizmobile.com which includes a graphing calculator (gCalc), a flashcards program (gFlash+) and a reference guide (gRef) that (currently anyways) only runs on the BlackBerry. BTW, all three of those applications use Google Spreadsheets as input...

The money you'd save on the graphing calculator alone would justify the cost of the BB :-)

Just my $0.02. Good luck :-)

Let me try this again, since my last post was not too helpful to say the least.

I am a college student with Verizon and have the original Moto Q(no data). I used it last semester for keeping my schedule and homeworks(tasks) and it did a great job for me. I am trying to come up with a list of benefits I would have by upgrading to a blackberry (with data), specifically tasks that would benefit a college student.

The reason I bring this up is because I am up for NE2 very soon and I feel that I either have to make the decision to get a blackberry now or wait 2 years until NE2 again, since I do not want to have to pay the $400 retail.

Benefits of upgrading to a curve with data, so far I have come up with:
    -MUCH better/more reliable battery life
    -Internet browsing
    -Gmail/Outlook/Blackberry calendar sync
    -I would like to upload everything to Google Docs, and with a berry I could access it anywhere
    -instant email

I know there are a lot of former Q users out there and would love to hear their opinions.
    06-24-08 11:24 PM
    I've messed around with a couple of Qs at my job. (AT&T)

* The size difference is something you didn't mention, but is definitely noticeable after holding a Curve.

* You can actually have your school's email pushed to the device as well.

* OS... stable vs. winSLOW

06-24-08 11:24 PM
    Saaaay...aren't you the guy that got set on fire with flames?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-08 11:27 PM
    As answered before...
    device quality
    stabilty
    push email
    easy synching
    gps
    note taking

and to add a few
    Beyond 411, BeamBerry, Google plus other wonderful apps

no smartphone is going to give you the ability to ace all your classes but a good smartphone with a data plan can help you stay organized and in control of your own schedule.
    06-24-08 11:38 PM
    Oh dear... :sigh:

Do you really crave that much attention?
    Seriously, is it really that important what other people think, that you feel it's necessary to start another thread?
    Make your own decision.
    Any info about what a BB can do is on the internet.
    Search and come to your own conclusion.
    06-25-08 02:42 AM
    Oh dear... :sigh:

Do you really crave that much attention?
    Seriously, is it really that important what other people think, that you feel it's necessary to start another thread?
    Make your own decision.
    Any info about what a BB can do is on the internet.
    Search and come to your own conclusion.
    thanks but comments like these are not helpful and will only make it longer to find the answer i am looking for

06-25-08 05:06 AM
    OMG...you are so sad!
    That's all I have to say about this and your other post. GROW UP

06-25-08 05:58 AM
    Oh for the love of what's decent and holy!!

Dude, grow a pair and just make a decision. PLEASE!!
    06-25-08 06:04 AM
    ^^^ LMAO^^^.....yes..I concur.... these topics are a little...
    just make a decision..usually theres a 30 day return policy...
    06-25-08 06:13 AM
    thanks but comments like these are not helpful and will only make it longer to find the answer i am looking for

Buy the Curve. There's your answer.
    06-25-08 06:23 AM
    I had one of the first Q's and lived with it 2 years. No comparison to the 8330 Curve I now have. I use it 80% of the time for planning my day/wk/mos in the calendar and it's so much easier/faster/intuitive. I didn't really think it would be that much better for the calendar but it is. Internet is much faster, easier to view and more apps to add to the phone that really make it the best. I am trying it for 30 days and then I'll look at the new iPhone to see if it's got anything better or is even easier to use. I'd be surprised if it is but I was really pleasently surprised with the 8330. I will be adding Excel docs plus Word soon to see how they work on the 8330. I'd go on the 30 day, nothing to lose. I'm with Verizon.
    06-25-08 07:40 AM
    man these people are mean.....Dude, don't listen to them, they just don't understand what you're going through. I do, I'm a Virgo. Check this out

The blackberry 8310 has these cool things that will help you in school and entertain you as well.

1. You've got a great camera, for all the hot girls that'll be at school
    2. When 4.5 O/S update comes out, you'll be able to record video, for all the hot girls at school, funny stuff, your youtube or myspace, recording lessons, etc etc just imagine you see a squirrel on a bike, wouldn't you wanna record that?! pshaw!
    3. GPS, omg, you're a student, you need to go here and be there by this time! omg where is it? you don't know?! OMG, my phone has GPS, just look it up, turn by turn baby, can't go wrong
    4. Email- upto 10 accounts, omg? who wants more- not me! do you? I don't think so!
    5.internet browsing, i don't need to say anything about this except, AWESOME. Who doesn't need it or want it?
    6. Full KB
    7. excellent calander, Calculator, Phone book, Text messaging, notepad, memo's, themes, games
    8. Looks awesome, excellent screen size
    9. Awesome Battery life
    10. You can Play music, Watch Videos
    11. You can put a 2 gig Memory card in there and store just about anything
    12. It handles certain software applications, which I'm not sure but I've ever heard you can read and edit things such as Excel Files, word-could be a lie or me putting it up on a pedestal, but wouldn't it be cool?
    13. It comes with a messaging service of its own, that let you talk to any BB user by exchanging PIN #'s, so its like its own messaging service, how cool and exclusive are you eh?! girls are gonna be all up on your grill...
    14.I've got 1, if I've got one then you can't go wrong.
    15. MY MOMS GOT 1, if she's got one, WE cant go wrong, get what I'm saying?
    16. The Alarm clock it has, is like no other, I've woken up with it from across 2 bedrooms...good or what?!
    17. I could keep going, but I'm going to stop here, cause I'm supposed to be working...But anyhow, let me tell you that you will be bawling with your new phone, you're gonna throw your laptop and PC out the window, this thing can do so much, Just make sure that whatever phone you pick, you love it!
    06-25-08 07:43 AM
    So... you made another thread?! hahahaha

Do you actually expect anyone to say something negative about the Curve in this forum?? (It is a BlackBerry forum)

Well, I think you should not get a Curve because :

1) It is an amazing device
    2) The OS is intuitive and easy
    3) The screen is a nice size
    4) Expandable memory (microSD)
    5) Trackball and QWERTY
    6) Third Party Applications
    7) OS upgrades

Now, that is some good, solid justification for ya!!
    06-25-08 07:59 AM
    if you dont want to pay the $400 just get one on ebay or craigslist and have verizon switch the esn numbers through the phone or you can do it online. i hated my moto q so when my ne2 came up i was all over the curve.
    06-25-08 08:31 AM
    Go man go!!

I think we need another thread after this one gets set on fire!!

But seriously,

Beyond411 would be a good reason to go with a BB. It is an incredibly useful search engine. And someone also pointed out GCalc. Not to mention the money you could make by snapping photos of test papers and emailing them to "subscribers" all over the campus
    06-25-08 08:32 AM
    C;mon dude I mean really? is it that serious? Yes the Curve is a great device. Yes we here all love ours but you will not pass or fail college becuase you dont have one. If you cant afford the Curve with the data there are so many other smartphones choices out there that can give email and internet access. The Q9c for example is a great phone and a nice upgrade from your original Q. I know its no BB but for a college student it should be able to do what you need done. Since your in college I assume you're over 18 so start acting like a adult. so just weigh the pros and cons, check your budget and do what you need to do and stop asking strangers for advice
    06-25-08 09:20 AM
    Sorry, I have to agree with Karong, but disagree on how he and everyone else who is giving you negative feedbacks. Yes, the most important thing you should concentrate on is your school work. But at the same time, everyone here use to be an 18 year old, heck some of these posts I see here looks like it was typed by someone younger. Look, the bottom line is, this is a forum where everyone states their opinion and offer help to someone who needs information. We all love our Curves here in this section, and if you want to go to a new Q9, then do it, just to let know a little bit of info about Motorola. Not sure if this is true, but they are thinking about backing out of the PDA and cell business. Now to end this I'll say, the kid just needs info, all of us were once teens, that is the time were we worry about image, when you get older, we forget about how we used to be.
    Last edited by mynameismatrix; 06-25-08 at 11:48 AM.
    06-25-08 11:46 AM
    H3ll ta da naw!

I could not disagree more.

This kid just needs to grab his sac, cough twice,
    and just pull the friggin trigger. Sheesh . 2 whole
    threads on what should be a simple decision

People!, WTF?? and stuff
    06-25-08 11:51 AM
    H3ll ta da naw!

I could not disagree more.

This kid just needs to grab his sac, cough twice,
    and just pull the friggin trigger. Sheesh . 2 whole
    threads on what should be a simple decision

People!, WTF?? and stuff
    So right. My guess is every one of the people in this thread who disagrees with that obviously didn't read his other thread. Here's some of the highlights:

And every blackberry user I see on the train rubs it in my face that I dont have one lol
    I do not want a blackberry because everyone else has them
    That's a bit...ironic.
    seeing everyone with them reminds me how badly I want one. I see so many kids, even adults, who do not know how to use these devices and in my opinion do not "deserve" them from a technical point of view and it makes me cringe.
    Way to be condescending, kiddo.
    My parents make a lot of money and they have the exact same feeling about recurring payments. I guess that is where I get it from
    Not boastful at all, lol.
    06-25-08 12:24 PM
    Thank you everyone who was helpful in this thread.

I piggy back on my family plan with Alltel unlimited plus data plan. Yay me!
    Haha ironic this kid is complaining about me mentioning that I wouldn't mind if my parents paid my phone bill in another thread
    06-25-08 09:00 PM
    Oh boy... And it starts again..

06-25-08 09:11 PM
    Sorry, I have to agree with Karong, but disagree on how he and everyone else who is giving you negative feedbacks. Yes, the most important thing you should concentrate on is your school work. But at the same time, everyone here use to be an 18 year old, heck some of these posts I see here looks like it was typed by someone younger. Look, the bottom line is, this is a forum where everyone states their opinion and offer help to someone who needs information. We all love our Curves here in this section, and if you want to go to a new Q9, then do it, just to let know a little bit of info about Motorola. Not sure if this is true, but they are thinking about backing out of the PDA and cell business. Now to end this I'll say, the kid just needs info, all of us were once teens, that is the time were we worry about image, when you get older, we forget about how we used to be.
    This post originally started here - How to justify Blackberry to parents.
    436 posts later and he is starting this nonsense all over again!!

That's why he is getting what you have termed "negative feedback!" Does this question- or better yet- rephrased question really require another 400+ posts?

I mean really- WTF and stuff! AG & J!!!
    Last edited by ScandaLeX; 06-25-08 at 09:23 PM.
    06-25-08 09:21 PM
    Dude, you started another thread for what? You didnt like the ADULT answers you rec'd? You didnt get the required hand holding you needed? Or did you think another thread would NOT make you the out to be the whining cry baby as you've clearly stood up to be? H3ll, you're even jealous of the 9 yr old whose mom got her son a Berry!

MAN UP!! Please!! You should be embarrassed by now. Stop doing this to yourself.
    06-25-08 09:30 PM
    I mean really- WTF and stuff! AG & J!!!
    Hehe... I know.. Seriously.. Sigh.

06-25-08 09:36 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD