I want to upgrade my VERIZON wireless blackberry curve today. i see the upgrade threads at the top but not sure which one i need. Can someone point me to the most informational thread? one with specific step by step instructions. Something thats been proven to work.
    01-11-09 09:39 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...nguage-106355/
    Follow the proper upgrade/downgrade link in my signature for instructions.
    01-11-09 09:41 AM
    download and install the software you want to install
    navigate to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\app loader\ and delete the vendor.xml file,
    while you have navigated there plug in you berry and run the LOADER.EXE file in the same folder with the vendor file, follow the directions and your software will update
    01-11-09 09:42 AM
    do i have to upgrade the desktop manager?
    01-11-09 10:01 AM
    Yes, I would get atleast 4.5. I use desktop manager 4.5 without media manager. 4.6 is good as well.
    01-11-09 10:03 AM
    Doing it now, my total application size that im gonna install is 42350k
    Docs to go is the biggest app, is it worth it? what exactly can you do with docs to go
    01-11-09 10:12 AM
    View native Word & Powerpoint attachments
    01-11-09 10:14 AM
    i just tried the u pgrade from verizon and got some error that it couldnt load the app on the device. wtf

do i have to upgrade desktop manager before the software on the handheld?
    Last edited by jdmaccord; 01-11-09 at 10:21 AM.
    01-11-09 10:19 AM
    download and install the software you want to install
    navigate to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\app loader\ and delete the vendor.xml file,
    while you have navigated there plug in you berry and run the LOADER.EXE file in the same folder with the vendor file, follow the directions and your software will update
    DO NOT DO THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. If you do you will immediately lose all your personal data.
    01-11-09 10:21 AM
    pete your post is incorrect
    i have done this many times and never lost anything....it does back up your info just like DM
    so...in a word......a MOD is WRONG....sorry dude....i can post screen shots if you like....just for extra proof
    01-11-09 10:23 AM
    Do i have to update desktop manager first?

I couldnt get the thing to load from the verizon site
    01-11-09 10:24 AM
    As always...Pete is correct. Heres what I ould do. Uninstall your current version of desktop manager, then download and install 4.5 without media manager. Download your OS and follow the instructions in my signature.
    01-11-09 10:26 AM
    sorry rlp32 pete is NOT correct i can prove it
    01-11-09 10:28 AM
    i just downloaded desktop manager 4.7 from verizon. i didnt uninstall the old one first should i have?
    01-11-09 10:29 AM
    pete your post is incorrect
    i have done this many times and never lost anything....it does back up your info just like DM
    so...in a word......a MOD is WRONG....sorry dude....i can post screen shots if you like....just for extra proof
    DO NOT DO THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Running Loader does NOT backup your data.

To correctly upgrade your phone you need 3 things on your PC.

1). The OS from this post http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...nguage-106355/
    2). Desktop Manager 4.6 with no media manager from here
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
    3). CrackMem from the link in my signature.

Read the Help file in my program CrackMem as it contains a tested step by step gude to upgrading.

Read http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/ for the reference guide on up/downgrading your Operating System.

I have upgraded at least 200 phones and I KNOW what I am doung.
    01-11-09 10:30 AM
    just because you are used to doing it one way does not mean that another is not correct sorry pete i am uploading pics now to photobucket to disprove your THEORY...
    01-11-09 10:31 AM
    Ok dragon..I did it that way once and it didnt backup for me. Perhaps I missed something during the reload. So since then I have always followed the directions and have worked out well.Nonetheless....lets help this guy get his upgrade going.
    01-11-09 10:32 AM
    You should uninstall your old version of Desktop Manager prior to installing the new. I would prefer that you uninstall any other OSs that you have installed too just to get the best shot possible for a clean install.

I reccomend that you use Desktop Manager to sync with Outlook before you start the install process.
    01-11-09 10:32 AM
    nuff said... sorry to seem like an a$$hole but slamming someone when you have a little less info leads to pissed off people...we are all here to learn...
    01-11-09 10:35 AM
    nuff said... sorry to seem like an a$$hole but slamming someone when you have a little less info leads to pissed off people...we are all here to learn...
    That's OK, you were not to know. If you want to upgrade with ease, then get CrackMem. It is free and has been downloaded over 4000 times. It will take the pain right out of upgrading.

I wrote it in order to support people like yourself who have not had much experience with messing around inside the Java folder.

I recently updated it to support the Storm too.
    01-11-09 10:53 AM
    just to show i have done research

as you see in photo 3 there is backup application data which CREATES THE BACKUP.IPD needed to restore from...sorry pete your wrong
    01-11-09 10:55 AM
    ya know its funny pete i have used your program on my older berries...pearls/curves, however i hate to tell you before you say something wrong again maybe you should look above
    01-11-09 10:57 AM

and just a lil extra....that sure looks like it says restore to me.....
    01-11-09 11:03 AM
    ya know its funny pete i have used your program on my older berries...pearls/curves, however i hate to tell you before you say something wrong again maybe you should look above
    Loader is capable of Backups as you have quite correctly shown BUT it does not always do so. That is why Desktop Manager exixts.

I have used Loader many, many times and it is not a reliable way to upgrade. I have seen it simply install an OS without backing up and I have also seen it backup just as you show. I do not reccomend using DM 4.7 for older devices and when I just tried DM 4.6 on my old 8310, it did not backup. It simply upgraded the OS.

YOU ARE RIGHT. DM 4.7 did backup this time. I jumped in because I do not trust this app and it is not the reccomended methid of upgrading. It is dangerous to upgrade this way. for a newbie.

I have used it many times to upgrade but only when there are problems.

Desktop Manager is the preferred manner of upgrading in this instance.
    01-11-09 11:05 AM
    thank you pete that is all i asked for....so it will backup
    i just don't care for being slammed and then having to defend myself
    now as you say this works best for problems...but it does work.

for a newbie it can work well with guidance...would i let my mom do it this way.....oh but **** no
    however if someone is smart enough to follow the directions given...it works fine
    01-11-09 11:08 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD