I live in Ecuador, in blackberry page i cant download the OS 4.5 to Ecuador so i downloaded from other part (VODAFONE) i have the programs but i am looking for a video o tutorial for some help me to upgrade me Baby, cause i am a noob in blackberry and if my baby die, i will die.
    Last edited by Daniel0181; 06-30-08 at 04:26 PM.
    06-30-08 04:17 PM
    Your best way is to just look at the recent OS 4.5 threads for tips on installation. You should be aware that what you have is, in reality, a beta release that has been turned lookse by Vodafone, Germany. It is full of bugs.

If you are unsure, about installation and, you are a long way from support, it might be best to wait until the final versionis releaae leter this year. It is a beta because it is still a work in progress.
    06-30-08 05:02 PM
    I agree with Pete. If you are that worried about killin your BB then you may want to wait. U seem a little unsure. I upgraded mine and it is working fine but as with any beta release there are no gaurantees. If you do upgrade your OS DO A BACK UP OF YOUR DATA FIRST!!!!!
    06-30-08 10:37 PM
    Ok guys tks for the info. i am looking for a tutorial video or something like that. Do u have one?
    07-01-08 08:41 AM
    There is no real tutorial or full walkthrough, but if you do one thing... back up!!

Also, be advised this is risky and Beta software so it is not recommended... especially since you claim yourself to be a newb!

I would stick with OS 4.2, is there anything wrong with it??
    07-01-08 08:48 AM
    07-01-08 09:09 AM
    Ok guys tks for the info. i am looking for a tutorial video or something like that. Do u have one?
    I can help you out with all the information about updating that you need. I'm from Guayaquil. Feel free to add me to your BB Messenger.
    08-12-08 01:31 AM
    It is interesting that a new BB person comes here looking for very detailed instructions, a video, to help him load a new OS. The experienced CrackBerry members try to convince him to wait until he knows more. No one is trying to talk him out of it, just trying to get him to delay a bit until he has a better chance to be successful without problems. They do it because we spend hours every week helping new people recover their Berries after things go wrong.

Then other new people show up and say don't worry, I didn't have any problems and you won't either. As if to say don't listen to those guys. But if the person has trouble, those people who say oh don't listen to those guys disappear because they don't know enough to help the person they talked into not waiting.

We see it every week. Just by pointing this out I'm probably going to get flamed by some j*rk who'll say oh he just doesn't want you to have what he has. I don't care, and I'll be here to help you Daniel if you need it, just like the other people who said please wait a little bit. We do it because we care about our fellow BlackBerry users and no other reason.

Daniel, please read the threads I've posted links to below. You'll see the things that can go wrong and how to recover. Also notice that the people spending hours helping the posters in trouble are the same people advising you to wait until you're ready. The people you won't see helping are the guys telling you to go ahead and do it now.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/i-w...-please-57676/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-08 02:10 AM
    Here is another for you to read.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/som...elp-mee-57373/

08-12-08 02:55 AM
    exelant: That was an extremely important post and seriously
    on point. I don't think ANYONE could have said that any better.
    08-12-08 04:04 AM
    I could have. I just chose not to.

08-12-08 04:34 AM
    Show off.

08-12-08 06:36 AM
    I could not agree any more

(And I think, by now, the original poster has probably made his decision... since the thread was posted at the beginning of July )
    08-12-08 07:27 AM
    if i upgrade from 4.2 to 4.5, will my contacts still remain there? or do i need to restore from my backup?
    08-12-08 08:13 AM
    if i upgrade from 4.2 to 4.5, will my contacts still remain there? or do i need to restore from my backup?
    This is exactly why you should not attempt the upgrade. You have absolutely no understanding of the process... and, in turn, will end up screwing up your Berry.

Did you read this thread at all?? Or did you just read the title and blindly post your querstion. Read what some of the people in this thread have to say, and then think about upgrading before you do it...
    08-12-08 08:17 AM
    This is exactly why you should not attempt the upgrade. You have absolutely no understanding of the process... and, in turn, will end up screwing up your Berry.

Did you read this thread at all?? Or did you just read the title and blindly post your querstion. Read what some of the people in this thread have to say, and then think about upgrading before you do it...
    i must second your opinion, if you ask that type of question, you probably don understand what is happening when you uprgade and you can easily nuke your berry.
    08-12-08 08:19 AM

I am new to BB. Some may read this post by Bmc and think it is rude. I think it's great, direct advice. I have two Curves up and running well which I just got over the weekend and using 4.3. They work just great! I downloaded DM last nite and it worked well getting my calendar/contacts up and going. Many other user settings are adjusted to my liking...it's working very well!

I am not sure of the enhancements 4.5 brings other than HTML email which I'd certainly like but not enough to attempt upgrading the OS since I am not yet familiar with the process (or again beyond HTML what exactly 4.5 brings to the table).

I have been doing a lot of surfing of this and a few other boards and they seem full of users, experienced and inexperienced, having challenges with the upgrade. When I was a boy I was taught, over and over again...if it's not broke, don't fix it.

So until I am completely comfortable and have an understanding of DM, the upgrade process, why I should upgrade, most if not all problems upgrading have been resolved, etc. I'm sitting on the sidelines.

Looking forward to hearing more success stories on the upgrade process and what it is meaning to users in terms of enhanced functionality and how it is benefitting them. Good luck to all!
    08-12-08 10:15 AM
    It is interesting that a new BB person comes here looking for very detailed instructions, a video, to help him load a new OS. The experienced CrackBerry members try to convince him to wait until he knows more. No one is trying to talk him out of it, just trying to get him to delay a bit until he has a better chance to be successful without problems. They do it because we spend hours every week helping new people recover their Berries after things go wrong.

Then other new people show up and say don't worry, I didn't have any problems and you won't either. As if to say don't listen to those guys. But if the person has trouble, those people who say oh don't listen to those guys disappear because they don't know enough to help the person they talked into not waiting.

We see it every week. Just by pointing this out I'm probably going to get flamed by some j*rk who'll say oh he just doesn't want you to have what he has. I don't care, and I'll be here to help you Daniel if you need it, just like the other people who said please wait a little bit. We do it because we care about our fellow BlackBerry users and no other reason.

Daniel, please read the threads I've posted links to below. You'll see the things that can go wrong and how to recover. Also notice that the people spending hours helping the posters in trouble are the same people advising you to wait until you're ready. The people you won't see helping are the guys telling you to go ahead and do it now.

Just to be clear, I haven't said that the process of upgrading is easy or that he won't have any problems with it, as you imply in your response. I just said that I can share information with him. That information can help him decide if it's worth the trouble of if he's willing to take the risks. English is not the native language in Ecuador, that's why I offered to help, because I know how difficult is trying to make a point or having something explained and not been able to because of the language issue.

I think people like you make a community like this, because you're willing to share your experience and knowledge and make time to do it, personally I prefer helping people near me in a more hands on way, but I think the point is that I'm not trying to minimize your advice in any way. And probably as someone else said he already made his mind about doing it or not.
    08-12-08 06:19 PM
    I'm sorry fierce, I guess it looked like I was singling you out, so let me take this opportunity to say that I was not pointing a finger at you. I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize you had brought up a thread that was over a month old. That's important because what I was trying to do was make an impact on the OP and maybe get him to wait a little longer. At least until he was more knowledgeable about the resources available to help him in case he had problems. Something I didn't think he knew because he was looking for a video.

I thought it was a nice gesture on your part to offer personal help to a native Spanish speaker. That is the CrackBerry way. We have had marathon sessions with members "passing the baton" on to the next shift while we tried to help someone with a bricked berry.

We all also have pm threads created while giving personal help to members. My only other motivation was to perhaps influence someone else to have patience and not upgrade until they are ready - and that's different for everyone.

Remember that even if some of us advise caution, we'll still be here to help - even if someone who should have waited doesn't. That's the way it works, and the reason I like Crack Berry so much. We may be full of "you should have..." But that won't keep us from helping if someone is in trouble.

08-12-08 06:57 PM
    ...(EDIT)...

Remember that even if some of us advise caution, we'll still be here to help - even if someone who should have waited doesn't. That's the way it works, and the reason I like Crack Berry so much. We may be full of "you should have..." But that won't keep us from helping if someone is in trouble.
    Very nicely put
    08-12-08 07:08 PM
    I'm sorry fierce, I guess it looked like I was singling you out, so let me take this opportunity to say that I was not pointing a finger at you. I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize you had brought up a thread that was over a month old. That's important because what I was trying to do was make an impact on the OP and maybe get him to wait a little longer. At least until he was more knowledgeable about the resources available to help him in case he had problems. Something I didn't think he knew because he was looking for a video.

I thought it was a nice gesture on your part to offer personal help to a native Spanish speaker. That is the CrackBerry way. We have had marathon sessions with members "passing the baton" on to the next shift while we tried to help someone with a bricked berry.

We all also have pm threads created while giving personal help to members. My only other motivation was to perhaps influence someone else to have patience and not upgrade until they are ready - and that's different for everyone.

Yes, and I'm glad right now to be a part of this growing community of people willing to help others the Crackberry way. I'll try to keep as active, offer my two cents to everyone that requires.
    Thanks!
    08-12-08 07:25 PM
    Is it time for a hug?

08-12-08 09:03 PM
    (Sorry. Couldn't help myself)
    There's a really great attitude being displayed in this thread.
    Among the flood of noob **** that is on these threads there is an altruistic attitude and enthusiasm by most of the members. Everyone wants to share what they know, and to help out others.

Nicely done everybody.

08-12-08 09:07 PM
    The four letter word in the above post is "p o o p". Interesting that it got starred out.

Last edited by redeye; 08-12-08 at 09:11 PM.
    08-12-08 09:09 PM
    (Sorry. Couldn't help myself)
    There's a really great attitude being displayed in this thread.
    Among the flood of noob **** that is on these threads there is an altruistic attitude and enthusiasm by most of the members. Everyone wants to share what they know, and to help out others.

Nicely done everybody.

Yes it is a great attitude. Hope to see you guys around here.
    08-12-08 11:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD