I have a Blackberry Curve 8320 with the original software version it came with but I want to upgrade to the 4.5 because I want to use a certain theme.

Do I need to upgrade step by step or can I directly upgrade to 4.5?

In regards to backups, what happens if I don't back-up 3rd party software? Would I have to reinstall it again? and is the back-up for "just incase everything disappears" or will everything be wiped out when I upgrade?

:P
    01-20-09 07:36 PM
    I belive when you do a device backup with DM it will back everything up on your BB so I think you should be set.

the best way to udate your BB is to go throu your carrier and get there version and follow directions, it is possible your provider might not have 4.5 released yet if thats the case you can at your own risk download a non carrier supported 4.5 which is a bit more complex
    01-20-09 07:40 PM
    Directly upgrading should work fine.

With backups and 3rd party backups. yes it is so that you can get them back in the event something goes wrong.

However, if you are going to backup and do 3rd party backup. It's not that much more effort to wipe the BB and install the new OS from a clean slate.

BTW, I always back up and wipe before upgrading. good luck
    01-20-09 07:40 PM
    I belive when you do a device backup with DM it will back everything up on your BB so I think you should be set.

the best way to udate your BB is to go throu your carrier and get there version and follow directions, it is possible your provider might not have 4.5 released yet if thats the case you can at your own risk download a non carrier supported 4.5 which is a bit more complex
    Correction. 3rd party apps will NOT be backup unless you follow the upgrade procedure found in this forum.
    01-20-09 07:41 PM
    Would my BB's carrier upgrade the software for free?

Also with the 3rd party apps, it's not like I installed loads of them, only Facebook and MSN Messenger, which I can install again I guess...

Would BB themes be considered a 3rd party app?

:P sorry for all the crap questions!
    01-20-09 07:44 PM
    Yes, themes are considered 3rd party apps.

Always perform a backup before upgrading; however, keep in mind that DM performs a backup during the upgrade process, so as long as things go smoothly, everything will be restored to pre-upgrade condition.

Still do the backup though. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 07:52 PM
    Themes are considered 3rd party apps. 3rd party apps are normally backed up and restored during the upgrade process. The step for seperatly backing up 3rd party apps is more of a precaution.

I don't think TMO will do the upgrade for you. It takes close to an hour, and your BB needs tgo be connected to a PC for the entire time.

If you read the instructional posts on upgrading you'll find it not difficult to do. Just be patient.

Edit:
    I see you are on Orange. I saw 8320 and thought TMO.
    01-20-09 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD