Hi, I'm new here and was thinking (rather seriously) about purchasing a T-Mobile Blackberry Curve 8320 and had a couple of questions. (Sorry if these have been posted before.)

First, will I be able to update the software easily? (I was the o.s. update sticky, but not sure what it means about deleting the vendor file....)

Second, if I access the wireless network from my phone, will this cost me anything so long as the wireless I'm on is free? And will I be able to view my wireless card's number so I can register it w/ my network?

Thanks so much for any help.
    08-19-08 01:28 PM
    I updated the OS last night following the instructions on the sticky - it was very easy (it tells you what folder that vendor.xml file is in, just go hunt it out and delete it). The new OS makes the phone phenomenal.

Your second question about UMA calling -- You ca use UMA calling for free, but it will deduct minutes from your plan unless you have the $10 a month Tmobile at home feature on your plan. It's still very useful when you have poor service in your home, like me.

Sorry about your last question, I don't use MAC filtering or anything like that on my router, I'm a novice when it comes to wireless networks and stuff, so I can't answer that.
    08-19-08 01:35 PM
    welcome to CB!!

the os updat can take up to a little over an hour

as for the wifi, you don't have to pay for that data
    and if you have hotspot@home, when you are connected to your router, you will have unlimited minutes
    08-19-08 01:39 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!
    1. Updating the blackberry OS is easy but time consuming (about 45min to an hour). First, you need to install the latest Blackberry "Desktop Manager" software on your computer to update your phone's OS. Then, you download the OS software (found in the sticky and also your original OS can be found on the T-mobile website or whichever carrier you decide to go with) and install it on your computer. The sticky will show you how to find "vendor.xml" and delete it. Deleting the vendor.xml enable the desktop manger to update the phone OS. If you have the OS from T-mobile and your BB is from them, then you don't need to delete the vendor.xml. Most of the latest OS software is from another carrier so deleting the vendor.xml will let you update the phone OS.

2. With the T-mobile 8320 you can access the internet through EDGE, though it will cost you if you don't have the unlimited BlackBerry Data plan which is about 20 bucks per month. You can also use the built in Wifi on the 8320. It doesn't cost anything. Just go to "Set up WiFi" and click on "Scan For Networks" to find free wifi (unsecured) or secured wifi (passkey needed) network. The 8320 can also use WiFi to make or receive calls (you will see "UMA" on the top right) which will use your wireless minutes. It's a useful feature when you're in an area with little or no service. As for viewing your wireless card number I am assuming you mean your MAC address on your phone. You can view your phone's wifi MAC by going into Options then click on Status.

I hope I answered all your questions.
    Last edited by sun.man; 08-19-08 at 02:46 PM.
    08-19-08 02:27 PM
    Sounds like one of your questions is can you see the MAC address on the Curve. You can. If you press Alt, Left Shift and H at the same time you will go to the Help Me! screen. Your MAC and other information is listed there.

Hope that helped.

A.
    08-19-08 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD