Hey guys i just got my curve 8310 last night and it came with os 4.2? i've been trying to upgrade to 4.5 since 9pm last night.

I unistalled Desktop Manager 3 times. I tried to use 4.7 now im using 4.6 and its still not working. I also tried to use the application loader and still not working.

I get this message when connecting to the boot rom. A Fatal Error Occured....

anyone know how to do this i searched google and crackberry and i tried everything.

Please help!!!
    12-28-08 02:57 PM
    call blackberry support through your phone provider. Its about a 15 min process. but the job gets done correctly. not that any bod here is wrong just easier over the phone to do a step by step process
    12-28-08 03:03 PM
    Who's version of 4.5 are you tryong to put on? Beta or another carriers, or your carriers official release?
    12-28-08 03:07 PM
    i downloaded it from the rogers blackberry site so its official
    12-28-08 03:19 PM
    no one knows?

i was talking to rogers tech support for 2 hours literally and they couldnt even find out
    12-28-08 06:29 PM
    If you get the right support department, Rogers staff does a very good job.

Lets start with BlackBerry Desktop Software. It is critical that it is correctly installed, everything else depends on that.

I unistalled Desktop Manager 3 times. I tried to use 4.7 now im using 4.6 and its still not working. ...
    If you are trying to install from the BlackBerry tools CD, you may find that Autorun does not. The work around with Windows Vista is to use File Manager to locate the Startup file and set the properites to Run as Administrator.

If you choose to download the upgraded package, choose the English Language without Media Manager. You can add Media Manager later, but we need a good install to work with.

12-28-08 07:14 PM
    12-28-08 07:17 PM
    I installed it off the website the guy on the phone even made me try desktop manager 4.2.2 he was very helpful even though he didn't tell me anything i didn't know but anyways when i hung up with him i downloaded desktop manager 4.7 without media manager and still didn't work.
    12-28-08 07:18 PM
    Good, you have the correct software at hand.

When you run the install package, where does it fail?
    12-28-08 07:23 PM
    connecting to boot rom..it keeps restarting the phone and on my computer i hear the phone connecting and disconnecting until it fails
    12-28-08 07:28 PM
    Hey guys if someone could help me with this i got it loaded onto my curve (used another computer) and it worked it said finished and everything so i unplugged my phone and now all im getting is the wait symbol its not restarting or anything just wait symbol over and over?

anyone know what to do?
    12-28-08 09:02 PM
    After a restart like that, it will take anywhere up to about 3-4 mins to fully start up...
    12-28-08 09:06 PM
    oh damn will it matter if i tried a battery pull?:|
    12-28-08 09:12 PM
    I dont think so, is it giving you any errors? or just a white screen with the hourglass.. and did DM say it was ALL done? successfully installed or whatever msg it gives at the end.
    12-28-08 09:19 PM
    no its just a white screen with the hourglass it said succesfully completed or w.e and when i press the alt key it shows in the corner
    12-28-08 09:22 PM
    And its still white?

You can try a pull then, it will probably do the same thing...it may not have loaded correctly... hmmm, is the LED flashing at all? red?
    12-28-08 09:27 PM
    No its not flashing i did like 2 pulls already

im just gunna reload it again because it finally connected to the app loader
    12-28-08 09:28 PM
    Someone please help im getting error 507 and my phone wont connect to the computer!:|
    12-29-08 09:37 AM
    507 - you dont have an OS on your device.
    12-29-08 09:41 AM
    Ya i know but know my blackberry wont connect to my computer so i cant install the os. how can i get it to connect?
    12-29-08 09:44 AM
    Okay got it to work on ANOTHER computer.

I guess the answer to all problems is follow the instruction posted here if it doesn't work try another computer.

im waiting for it to load we will see what happens.
    12-29-08 10:34 AM
    I put my bberry up to the upgarde process this past weekend and am sad to say it failed. I downloaded the upgrade through my carrier's website and followed their directions on the installation and everything, but it was up until the last step where it was supposed to connect to the device on DM that my bberry failed on me. It kept connecting and disconnecting every 5 seconds with the hourglass spinning which led me to believe something went wrong. I called the bberry techs and they took me through 2 different processes of wiping my bberry clean and reinstalling the OS on it...but at last it still would not get through the last step of "connecting to the device" - so they opted to send me another bberry to replace my now fried device. i'm very sad, but fortunately, i've only had it for about 5 months so i didnt have much on it to preserve.
    12-29-08 12:42 PM
    I spent four days trying to figure this one out, and today I succeeded. I've had the same problem with mine for months. Making it more difficult was the fact that I have a MAC at home...

The final solution, for me, was this.

I downloaded Desktop Software 4.7 and backed up my Blackberry 8310. I then wiped the blackberry clean. I have ATT so I went to att.com/bbdownloads.com and downloaded the device software. I ran it and at the end there is a spot to launch Desktop Software now, I clicked that and immediately went in and ran the update for the phone. Every time in the past when I had closed it and then updated it a few minutes later I got the fatal error, launching it immediately was the difference...not sure why. I then went and restored my data. If you have any other questions feel free to email me directly at [email protected].
    12-30-08 10:58 AM
    I put my bberry up to the upgarde process this past weekend and am sad to say it failed. I downloaded the upgrade through my carrier's website and followed their directions on the installation and everything, but it was up until the last step where it was supposed to connect to the device on DM that my bberry failed on me. It kept connecting and disconnecting every 5 seconds with the hourglass spinning which led me to believe something went wrong. I called the bberry techs and they took me through 2 different processes of wiping my bberry clean and reinstalling the OS on it...but at last it still would not get through the last step of "connecting to the device" - so they opted to send me another bberry to replace my now fried device. i'm very sad, but fortunately, i've only had it for about 5 months so i didnt have much on it to preserve.
    Same thing happened to me i was on the phone for 2 hours literally. They made me wipe it 2 times made me uninstall and reinstall everything then told me if i cant get it to work then i should call back and they will DOA my device and i would get a new one(only had it for 3 days now). So i tried it on my brothers computer and it worked but stupid me thought it broke when it was restarting so i took out the battery like 5 times and then i tried to reinstall the os and got error 507. I kept trying on my brothers computer but it wouldnt work so i went to go try it on my computer again and it worked.
    12-30-08 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD