Its been 1 month since I've had my phone...and I'm so glad that T-mobile officially released the 4.5 version.

So what are the pros and cons of updating?

I do have a 4 gb memory card, so I think that will be enough to handle the update.
    11-08-08 01:37 PM
    What does your memory card have to do with the upgrade?

I would go to 4.5 if I were you, very nice OS, plus HTML email and docs to go.
    11-08-08 01:39 PM
    What does your memory card have to do with the upgrade?

I would go to 4.5 if I were you, very nice OS, plus HTML email and docs to go.
    Well, I assumed that updating it would require more memory? I'm not sure...I'm a newb lol!

Do you think an upgrade would be necessary even if I don't have a data plan? I only have wi-fi, so I can't really use email and such.
    11-08-08 01:43 PM
    Well, I assumed that updating it would require more memory? I'm not sure...I'm a newb lol!

Do you think an upgrade would be necessary even if I don't have a data plan? I only have wi-fi, so I can't really use email and such.
    It will give you some additions and make your browser faster, but without a data plan you will miss many of the cool features. My standard comment is why have a BlackBerry without a data plan? Without one, it really is just a phone -- and it's only 20 bucks from tmo.

A memory card is only for saving media and documents -- you can't run apps from there.
    Last edited by exelant; 11-08-08 at 01:48 PM.
    11-08-08 01:46 PM
    Without one, it really is just a phone.
    Tmo's data plan is only $20! Get the data, you'll be happy you did.
    11-08-08 01:48 PM
    It will give you some additions and make your browser faster, but without a data plan you will miss many of the cool features. My standard comment is why have a BlackBerry without a data plan? Without one, it really is just a phone.
    A memory card is only for saving media and documents -- you can't run apps from there.
    I'm a college student, so I can't really afford the extra $20 a month for a data plan.

I'll most likely get the data plan after I graduate and start my career.

Its just a phone, but a very cool phone with wi-fi and such...
    I use it for the wi-fi b/c my college campus has wi-fi everywhere...mp3 player, much easier texting, the cool camera, tasks, calendar, etc...
    Last edited by sparklyberry; 11-08-08 at 01:52 PM.
    11-08-08 01:50 PM
    In your case maybe the fact that the upgrade will allow you to take videos and not just still shots - - works good, lasts long time

This Handheld software includes:

Video recording capability
    HTML email for internet email accounts
    Music and Video Streaming video capabilities
    New browser home page design
    Improved downloading experience
    Improved UMA and data performance
    Attachment downloading and document editing
    Free/Busy calendar look-up and remote email search for BES users (Requires BES SW 4.1.5 or higher)
    11-08-08 01:52 PM
    I'm a college student, so I can't really afford the extra $20 a month for a data plan.

I'll most likely get the data plan after I graduate and start my career.

Its just a phone, but a very cool phone with wi-fi and such...
    I use it for the wi-fi b/c my college campus has wi-fi everywhere...mp3 player, much easier texting, the cool camera, tasks, calendar, etc...
    Get the upgrade then, TMo guides you through it and it does make your phone work better.
    11-08-08 01:54 PM
    it might just be my imagination at work, but I would swear my calls are more stable and clear in marginal service areas
    11-08-08 01:54 PM
    Ok thanks everyone...I've been persuaded lol.

Will everything be deleted once its updated? Will I have to remove the pictures, music, 4.2 themes BEFORE updating?
    11-08-08 02:10 PM
    You don't have to remove anything. It is a pretty simple process. Download the DM and the new OS 4.5. Install the DM and then launch the new OS. Open the DM connect your 8320 and everything is pretty straight forward. The DM takes you through the all process, backs everything up and then restores it to the device with the new OS.

You won't regret it, it is definitely worth it.

Good luck and enjoy it.

gb
    11-08-08 02:26 PM
    You don't have to remove anything. It is a pretty simple process. Download the DM and the new OS 4.5. Install the DM and then launch the new OS. Open the DM connect your 8320 and everything is pretty straight forward. The DM takes you through the all process, backs everything up and then restores it to the device with the new OS.

You won't regret it, it is definitely worth it.

Good luck and enjoy it.

gb
    Whats the DM? Device manager? I think I already have that d/led. Thanks...it doesn't seem to scary to update it afterall!
    11-08-08 02:49 PM
    its wortht the upgrad.. and its not gonna go on ure memory.. its not windows mobile i found that out real quick but it good to me because of these two major things. it lets u record video and it lets u stream music and video. so u can go on youtube on ure phone!
    11-08-08 03:01 PM
    oh and dl manager is to put ure os upgrade.. that is the program you do it through. you have to dl it (save it) then open ure dl mgr and go from there!
    11-08-08 03:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD