What is the difference between unlocked and locked? Which is best?
    05-22-10 08:50 AM
    A locked phone is only able to use a SIM card from the carrier it is locked to. An unlocked phone is able to use a SIM card from any GSM carrier. This helps if you travel internationally, since you can use a prepaid SIM card from a carrier in another country and avoid international fees from your carrier. It also helps you sell your phone easier, since the buyer can use it on any GSM carrier.

To find out if it is unlocked go to options>advanced options>SIM card and type "MEPD" without quotes. You won't see what you are typing. If it is unlocked SIM and network will be disabled.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-22-10 09:11 AM
    And if you are going to use the device on Sprint, then locked/unlocked does not matter.
    05-22-10 09:13 AM
    If you have an 8330, it cannot be unlocked. It does not have a SIM card.

05-22-10 09:35 AM
    Thanks...I was gonna say I'm with sprint...i think thats just for verizon and tmobile
    05-22-10 12:26 PM
    Thanks...I was gonna say I'm with sprint...i think thats just for verizon and tmobile
    A Verizon 8330 cannot be unlocked either. It does not have a SIM card.

The 9630, Storm1 or Storm2, and new 9650 are dual CDMA/GSM devices that can be unlocked and used on any GSM carrier.

The 8830 can be unlocked, but it cannot be used on any North American GSM carriers' networks.

05-22-10 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD