Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Hey everybody. Have had my phone for a couple of years now and have always lurked these forums for information.

This is my first post because this is the first question I can't seem to find answers for.

I work out of the office in my car alot. The curve is an excellent piece of equipment for a business man on the go. Lets not pretend though that its all work and no play... which leads me to my problem.

I use my phone in the car in the following manner. I have an auxillary input in my car, and plug the phone into that so that I can stream commercial free pandora or iheart through my car stereo. Additionally, when calls come in, I can put the phone on "speaker", which sends the callers voice through my car stereo so that I can be hands free.

Because I live in chicago, and use my Tomtom alot, I have opted to subscribe to the traffic service. In order to use this service, Tomtom connects to my phone through bluetooth to download updated traffic data. I had to contact verizon and have them add tethering to the account to make this happen. When Tomtom is connected to the phone, the phone automatically goes into "Modem Mode Enabled".

Well, here is the problem. While in modem mode, my phone no longer recieves data from the unlimited data plan. This means no more streaming radio, no more internet browsing on the phone, and I would assume no more emails.

This is a problem. I didn't realize that by tethering a GPS device to the phone that it would render my phone useless with exception to phone calls.

Sorry this is so long. Anybody have any advice or a work around? I need my phone to be fully operationaly both as a data device and a tethered modem for my GPS.

Thanks for your help!

Jake
    05-15-09 09:21 AM
    Not going to happen. Its EVDO rev 0 so you can not have data and modem mode at the same time.If you get a call all data is suspended. AFAIK EVDO rev A can only do Data and Voice at the same time. Modem mode is just that modem only.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by HouseApe; 05-15-09 at 09:44 AM.
    05-15-09 09:42 AM
    Heres what I do. I have the curve on ATT. I also have an aux port in car and likewise stream pandora and/or phone calls through my speakers. However I use TeleNav GPS which is just as good as tomtom if not better. This allows me to stream my music/phone calls/and my Voice GPS all through my speakers simultaneously.....not sure how well vz navigator works, but migh t be an option....yes I realize you pay extra for it...so do I with televenav...but to me its worth it...just a suggestion
    05-15-09 09:48 AM
    On VZW you cannot do data and voice at the same time. IF you have a data session going, you should be able to answer a call and then when finished the data session should pick up again.
    05-15-09 09:56 AM
    Thanks for the information guys, even if it is disappointing.

Then one last question, is there a way to tell pandora or any other data service to utilize the modem connection in lieu of the data packet?
    05-15-09 10:22 AM
    Bump for all you people that know what your doing
    05-15-09 01:37 PM
    Are you asking if you can get data from another source other than the data plan? I not even sure I understand your question.
    05-15-09 01:52 PM
    I suppose I am interpreting this as two different methods for the phone to recieve data from the tower.

Either it recieves it in modem mode, or it recieves it in data mode. The only difference is where the termination of that is. For instance, data pulled down when in modem mode accepts the information from the tower and just simply passes it on to another periphial. Data packets as recieved with the unlimited data plan is converted and then utilized on the curve itself. At least, that is how I understand it.

Thus, is it possible to tell Pandora or any other data function on the phone to take information from the tower when in modem mode, essentially intersecting the data before it is passed along via the modem?
    05-15-09 02:40 PM
    Maybe I just don't know what I am talking about.
    05-15-09 02:53 PM
    If you are talking about trying to connect and bypassing tethering? Then no. There is a software call tetherberry which does this. I would search around for it, but beware there have been reports of large data charges, account shut down.
    05-15-09 02:59 PM
    You can't use Tetherberry from the TomTom....
    05-23-09 01:27 AM
    Thanks for the information guys, even if it is disappointing.

Then one last question, is there a way to tell pandora or any other data service to utilize the modem connection in lieu of the data packet?
    No modem mode just passes the data through to the usb port. Use modem mode on you BB for data on a netbook or laptop then you could do what your asking for your Tom Tom and to streem raido and get emails ect all on the netbook or laptop.
    05-23-09 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD