I bought my BB mainly because in condensed three things into one small package: phone, camera and mp3 player. I added a 4gb sd card to hold my music. I love my music. But I've been having issues with this thing freezing up on me on numerous occassions. The hourglass would pop up and I'd have to do 3-4 battery pulls a day. So today I had an epiphany: what if I remove the sd card? And guess what? No lag. No repetitive hour glass. No delay when typing. Why sell a friggin product as an mp3 player when it freezes the whole f'ing thing up? I would love to collectively slap each and every member of RIM, from the president on down to the gardener. Did I really waste almost $100 for an sd card my stupid phone can't handle? Will the update to 4.5 fix this? Will I have to buy an iPhone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-08 06:13 AM
    lol, slap who? Have you looked in the mirror, first?

Yours is the first I have heard of this problem, that pulling the SD card helped it out, so i am not so sure this is not just an isolated incident, AND could very well be that you need to be slapping the manufacturer of the SD card. Did you have the Media Player active in the background the whole time?

What brand is the card? What size?
    Last edited by jsanders; 04-15-08 at 06:39 AM.
    04-15-08 06:18 AM
    Gotta go with Jsanders here, srtpointman. Absolutely sounds like a card issue, not the phone. 100,000+ members here are using memory cards in their BB with no problem. More details about the card you're using will help us help you out here.
    04-15-08 06:33 AM
    I agree with them as well. No problems here accessing my files on my media card either; and I'm even talking about videos.

Either you have a lemon or your media card sucks. Either way, you don't have the right to slap anybody at RIM, and yes even their gardeners.

04-15-08 06:41 AM
    If you have your music backed up on desktop manager try reinserting the sd card and reformating the sd card then reloading the music.
    04-15-08 06:55 AM
    Well, I was wrong. I'm still getting the stupid hourglass. The gardener is safe......for now. I have a 4gb Sandisk micro SD HC card. It's tiny and black with white lettering. So apparently it's my phone that's a piece of s**t. I'm hoping they'll let me exchange it. Maybe it'll work better when I get back to the states (Currently in the middle east). Thing is that my data arrows are always blinking, more so when the hourglass is up. I close everything properly and the only third party app I have is Jivetalk. I deleted facebook and don't have any games except brick breaker.

04-15-08 07:01 AM
    did you try to re load your os ?
    04-15-08 07:03 AM
    Yup. Reloaded it a few days ago. This has been an ongoing problem. Wiped it, reloaded the OS, prayed to the BB gods and sacrificed a virgin goat.

04-15-08 07:35 AM
    I wiped it and reloaded it.

04-15-08 08:00 AM
    What version of the OS are you using? Can you try OS4.5? It works well with SDHC cards, I have a 4gb in my Curve, and the music sounds great. What format are you using, Fat32 or Fat?
    04-15-08 08:01 AM
    Not meaning to hijack - but can someone suggest a good memory card?
    04-15-08 08:13 AM
    Yes, you did mean to hijack.

SanDisk is a good one. Kingston is good.
    04-15-08 08:37 AM
    I have the sandisk 4GB card and it works great.
    04-15-08 08:55 AM
    What is Fat 32?

04-15-08 08:59 AM
    I bought my BB mainly because in condensed three things into one small package: phone, camera and mp3 player. I added a 4gb sd card to hold my music. I love my music. But I've been having issues with this thing freezing up on me on numerous occassions. The hourglass would pop up and I'd have to do 3-4 battery pulls a day. So today I had an epiphany: what if I remove the sd card? And guess what? No lag. No repetitive hour glass. No delay when typing. Why sell a friggin product as an mp3 player when it freezes the whole f'ing thing up? I would love to collectively slap each and every member of RIM, from the president on down to the gardener. Did I really waste almost $100 for an sd card my stupid phone can't handle? Will the update to 4.5 fix this? Will I have to buy an iPhone?

Is this the same BB that you were considering shooting last month?
    04-15-08 09:00 AM
    Try this guide and hopefully your hour glass goes away. Maybe your memory is low...

Try pressing and holding down the left 'alt' key and then pressing (in order) E,A,C,E

You can then scroll down and check how much free memory you have and then post back the amount.
    04-15-08 09:07 AM
    A while back there were some real c**p SanDisk badged cards around. They were not SanDisk cards at all. At that time, SanDisk were not making 4Gb cards and someone had kluged together 4*1Gb or 2*2Gb into a moulding and were selling them as 4Gb. They were slow and unreliable.

Several of my customers bought them for their cameras and whatnot. Almost all of them failed or caused other problems.

A genuine SanDisk card is identicyable via thier website.

I hope that you do not have one of the these fake cards but if you do, there is only one place for it, the garbage bin. Go check the website. I think you have to go via suppot but they are super helpful.
    04-15-08 09:11 AM
    Violence gets you nowhere. LOL.

04-15-08 09:22 AM
    I'm still considering it.

04-15-08 09:25 AM
    I'm still considering it.

LOL Save that round, you may need it for something more important
    04-15-08 09:33 AM
    What is Fat 32?

Isn't that some iranian biker gang???

FAT 32 is the file system that your BB runs, stands for file allocation table and runs in 32 bit clusters..that's one of the things your pc or your phone put on the card when you format it.
    Sounds like your problem is reception, does AT&T have a way to do a prl update? (vzw has *228), if not try to switch from edge to 1x and see if thaat doesn't stop it..

Otherwise go slap an iranian biker, that'll make us all feel better
    04-15-08 09:39 AM
    I have a 4gb card in my curve and play music all day while at work. I still recieve emails,calls,sms messegaes without any issue. Id check the card and not blame Rim for making the blackberry. Millions of people use them all day everyday without issues.
    04-15-08 09:51 AM
    If you want to slap someone... you may want to do it to yourself. I got my 4 gig Kingston for $39.99 If I were to pay close to $100.00 it would be for the 8 gigs!
    04-15-08 10:02 AM
    i still think theres sand in it
    04-15-08 05:57 PM
    i still think theres sand in it
    LOL! that's funny!
    04-16-08 12:49 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD