I have had a blackberry for about almost a year, I keep hearing people talk about unlocking the phone. What exactly does this mean and what is the purpose of it. I am just now getting into playing around with my berry and I have becom fascinated with it, I can not seem to put it down, My Operating system is 4.2.2.180 is this OS good or should I upgrade it? Everything I want to get needs a higher OS level then what I have, but I have never upgraded a phone OS before so I am a little bit concerned with that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance.
    03-27-09 04:07 AM
    What is unlocking?

Many cellular service providers will provide phones at a discounted price when bought with a contract. However, most of these phones are "locked" to the network from which they were purchase; this means that you can't use the phone with any other network provider's SIM card.

Unlocking your phone removes this barrier and allows you to use your phone on all the networks it is compatible with. Unlocking increases the resale value of your phone and allows you the flexibility of using alternative network providers - this is particularly useful if you wish to avoid roaming charges while traveling abroad.

What are the advantages of unlocking my phone?

Unlocking your phone has a number of advantages:
    - You can use your GSM phone with a SIM card from any other GSM network in the world.
    - The resale value of your phone is increased.
    - Instead of paying for a new phone when you switch network, you can keep your old phone (as long as both networks use GSM technology).
    - You can purchase a phone locked to a different network and use it with your own SIM card and service.
    - You no longer need to pay extortionate roaming charges when you go abroad. Simply unlock your phone and then purchase a prepaid domestic SIM card at your destination and receive the same low call rates as locals.

If you are interested in unlocking your device, have a look here as well..
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/bla...ructions-1292/

Def upgrade to 4.5 OS...have a look @ how..
    http://www.crackberry.com/blackberry...ting-system-os

And finally, your posting in a 3rd party software forum, moving your post to the 8320 section. Also, just as a side note..when making thread please try and make more descriptive thread titles as to what your issue is. It will result in you getting answers quicker as people will read the title and be more apt to help you out if they can discern what your issue is.
    03-27-09 05:01 AM
    I am new to the BB world too... I just upgraded my curve to 4.5 with no issues!! just follow the directions step by step and you'll be fine!
    03-27-09 07:13 AM
    Thank You for the expliantion, very informative and exactly what I wanted to know and thanks for the tips, I do apologize for posting in the wrong place. I will watch it more closley next time. Thanks again.
    03-27-09 11:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD