Hi everyone at the crackberry community!

First time poster here.

Im looking into gettin a curve, but cant settle on 8320 or 8310, so Im interested in finding out if UMA works or not with Rogers/Fido (from here on referred to as "Fogers" )

I know it's a relatively new thing, but I was wondering if anyone with a 8320 (whether locked to Rogers or not) got it working on Fogers?

Thanks
    05-12-08 09:05 PM
    From what I understand you need a supported handset, and there's only one model available on the purchase page for the new service.

Not sure if it has to be a supported device, or any WiFi enabled phone can use it.

The 8310 definitely wouldn't be able to as there's no WiFi on it.
    05-12-08 09:10 PM
    I thought it was some sort of program that was needed to run UMA. I just thought maybe some genius out there has it figured out already and perhaps can help guide the mere mortals like myself lol
    05-13-08 02:21 AM
    I am also very interested in knowing if this is possible with Fido.
    05-13-08 09:12 AM
    From the FIDO UNO faq page:

You will need three things to begin using FIDO UNO.

1. A new FIDO UNO compatible phone.
    2. A new FIDO UNO Router – Any generic wireless router will work but the FIDO UNO Router is recommended as it will provide optimal voice quality on your FIDO UNO phone, improved battery life and easy set up.
    3. Connect your router to any High Speed Internet service (minimum speed of 512 Kbps for uplink and downlink)
    4. A FIDO UNO option:
      Unlimited local and Canadian long-distance call from home - $20
      OR
      Unlimited local calls from home - $15

Fido | Fido UNO - Support

From the Rogers Home Calling Zone faq page:

To take advantage of this service you just need:

1. A Rogers Home Calling Zone compatible phone with any Voice Price Plan
    2. A Wireless router with a high-speed internet connection
    3. And a Home Calling Zone option:
      $15 Unlimited Home Calling Zone Local
      Make unlimited local calls from at home on your wireless phone
      $20 Unlimited Home Calling Zone Canada-Wide
      Make Unlimited Canadian Long Distance and Local calls at home on your wireless phone

Rogers Communications - Home Calling Zone

Rogers lists the BlackBerry 8120 Pearl as compatible on the faq page now so good news!!
    05-13-08 09:30 AM
    Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) is not software, but is only available to Wifi enabled devices... Curve 8230 for example.

UMA requires a dedicated server with your device information. When your device connects to your home network, it will signal the UMA server to pass the signal through your Wifi connection.

When that connection becomes too weak to support the device, the UMA server switches it back to the cellular network.

Fido's Uno is in the early roll out phase. Technical support has to come up to speed on the voice side before they are willing to tackle data.

Soon, we should be seeing BlackBerry devices (8120, 8320 perhaps?) offered with Uno or Rogers equivalent.

When that happens, the question is, how will they support UMA with data?

At present, the only support is voice and only with your home router.

T-Mobile has mastered UMA technology. When connected, voice and data are switched to Wifi. If you need connections at home, at your office or at a coffee shop, no problem. If you are traveling internationally, UMA gives you a local connection back home. The savings are obvious.

What is equally obvious, Rogers/Fido will be loosing money from their massive overlimit data billings. What are the odds Mr. Rogers will sign on for that?
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-13-08 at 10:18 AM.
    05-13-08 10:02 AM
    Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) is not software, but is only available to Wifi enabled devices... Curve 8230 for example.

UMA requires a dedicated server with your device information. When your device connects to your home network, it will signal the UMA server to pass the signal through your Wifi connection.

When that connection becomes too weak to support the device, the UMA server switches it back to the cellular network.

Fido's Uno is in the early roll out phase. Technical support has to come up to speed on the voice side before they are willing to tackle data.

Soon, we should be seeing BlackBerry devices (8120, 8320 perhaps?) offered with Uno or Rogers equivalent.

When that happens, the question is, how will they support UMA with data?

At present, the only support is voice and only with your home router.

T-Mobile has mastered UMA technology. When connected, voice and data are switched to Wifi. If you need connections at home, at your office or at a coffee shop, no problem. If you are traveling internationally, UMA gives you a local connection back home. The savings are obvious.

What is equally obvious, Rogers/Fido will be loosing money from their massive overlimit data billings. What are the odds Mr. Rogers will sign on for that?
    Do you mean then, by what you say, is that the voice portion is available with ANY WiFi enabled device? regardless of it's origin?

Because Fogers is starting to crack down in gray market devices, and a lot of Fido's current value packs do not work with phones that do not originate from Fogers themselves.
    05-13-08 01:01 PM
    Do you mean then, by what you say, is that the voice portion is available with ANY WiFi enabled device? regardless of it's origin?

Because Fogers is starting to crack down in gray market devices, and a lot of Fido's current value packs do not work with phones that do not originate from Fogers themselves.
    It will likely continue that way too.

The UMA server know your device by it's IMEI number and it's MAC number. The same applies to the Router.

It depends on how Rogers decides to configure it. Locking out foreign devices and restricting you to one Router is quite likely.

At least for a while....

T-Mobile is comming to Canada, the playing field will change.

Rogers 7 Million, DT/T-Mobile 100 Million subscribers. Rogers never makes the JD Powers list, T-Mobile always top it.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-13-08 at 03:01 PM.
    05-13-08 02:58 PM
    I contacted Fido today to see if I could get it activated, here is the response:

We would like to thank you for visiting our website.

While the Fido UNO service is available to compatible non-Fido handsets and routers. We cannot guarantee the efficiency of non-Fido UNO supported routers or dual-mode UMA compliant phones.

We wish you a nice day.

I called and got it put on just to see if it would work... lol I have an unlocked T-mobile 8320 and it shows UMA in the wifi diagnostics.. I will let you know if I get it working.. Although I doubt it will work.

Also just want to say I have called 4 times in the past 4 days and everyone at Fido I have spoken with was very helpful. (maybe because I was activating features lol jk).

If anyone else gets it to work let me know please
    05-13-08 03:52 PM
    I called and got it put on just to see if it would work... lol I have an unlocked T-mobile 8320 and it shows UMA in the wifi diagnostics.. I will let you know if I get it working.. Although I doubt it will work.

If anyone else gets it to work let me know please
    That sounds promising.

This is my 8320 connection diagnostic. If you can get server address, you are on your way.

Do you have a UMA configuration website? I understand T-Mobile lets clients configure their own.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-13-08 at 04:12 PM.
    05-13-08 04:10 PM
    Here is mine:

Code:
    UMA
    Connection Pref.: Wi-Fi Preferred
    UMA Wi-Fi Available: Successful
    Connection: Error
    Error Code: W006.1
    Reg. UNC Address:  
    Authentication: Error
    Serving UNC Address: punc.t-mobileuncs.com:14001
    Security Gateway Address: psgw.t-mobilesgws.com
    Cell Info.:  
    Cell. handover to UMA failures:  
    Cell. rove-in failures:

Looks like even though the phone is unlcoked, and with the new 4.5 software beta it still has the t-mobile UMA server info... if someone could post what the fido servers/ports are maybe we could setup a forwarding thing in my firewall/router.. or using a computer..

Lets make this work lol
    05-13-08 04:16 PM
    BlackBerry Search Results

W006.1 - ISP network error.
    W006.2 - ISP network error.
    W006.3 - ISP network error.
    The BlackBerry smartphone cannot connect to the UMA service using a Wi-Fi connection to the Internet.
    Doh!

Serving UNC Address: punc.t-mobileuncs.com:14001
    Security Gateway Address: psgw.t-mobilesgws.com
    Fido is using T-Mobile UMA servers? Cool!
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-13-08 at 04:26 PM.
    05-13-08 04:23 PM
    Well I don't know what else to try... If there is someone who knows the correct fido server and port... AND if it is possible to change this information then maybe this can be worked out.
    05-13-08 04:39 PM
    There are quite a few H@H CrackBerry uses, hopefully one of them will join in our discussion and we can compare notes.

It looks to me, Rogers has subcontracted the UMA service from T-Mobile.

It could be just a matter of time.

You ordered the service today and your service books have been sent. That is how you got the server addresses.

It may take a day or so for T-Mobile to act on the service request.

If you have UMA service tomorrow, I will be calling Fido too.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-13-08 at 05:29 PM.
    05-13-08 05:16 PM
    Thing is though, my phone is giving the same error that it always has for UMA even before calling fido. I don't think that Fido is outsourcing to t-mobile.

As for the service books, I looked through mine and there are not to me (maybe I didn't know what to look for) that seem to be for UMA / Fido UNO.
    05-13-08 08:52 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the server address is hard coded to the device, meaning that you can only use the device's original carrier for UMA, I've heard of many people trying it, and no luck, other forums as well.
    05-13-08 08:57 PM
    I called both Fido and Rogers today.

First call to Rogers was basically inconclusive where the conclusion of the lady on the other side was "we do not carry 8320s" -_-"
    Second call to Rogers the guy told me that it would basically work with any WiFi enabled phone. However he wasnt sure either.

Third call was to Fido and I actually talked to a retentions guy (after I tried sorting something out on my account) He said that there was software on the phones themselves that you needed to run UNO (Fido's UMA).

I wonder if anyone on unlocked devices have found some sort of UMA software on their phones from the provider they unlocked the phone from?
    05-13-08 10:48 PM
    I called Rogers as well as I have an 8320, and I called about 5 different times. Every single time someone gave me a different, unsure answer about UMA.

I think once the 8120s are released onto the home calling zone for Rogers (which should be in the next few weeks) then they will become more definitive with the specifics of UMA...
    05-14-08 02:01 AM
    I wonder if anyone on unlocked devices have found some sort of UMA software on their phones from the provider they unlocked the phone from?
    The UMA software is net_rim_wlan_*.COD.

There are nine files that build Wlan on the device.

These files are not supplied with the 8300 build, only the 8320.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-14-08 at 11:48 AM.
    05-14-08 09:35 AM
    any updates?
    05-17-08 12:05 AM
    The server info is hard coded into the device, and cannot be changed, as of yet.

I hope you find a way, but i don't see it happening yet, as other forums have some programmers working on it yet, and its not a firmware/software code, but its in the memory of the device itself..
    05-17-08 12:23 AM
    The server info is hard coded into the device, and cannot be changed, as of yet.

I hope you find a way, but i don't see it happening yet, as other forums have some programmers working on it yet, and its not a firmware/software code, but its in the memory of the device itself..
    I guess we wont know until either the 8120 or the rogers locked 8320s get tested with
    05-17-08 04:23 AM

My Curve is also T-Mobile branded, there are no server connections in Wifi diagnostics. It is blank.

OP has the same device and he is now seeing T-Mobile Servers hosting UMA.
    05-17-08 10:04 AM
    1. What is Rogers Wireless Home Calling Zone?

Rogers Wireless Home Calling Zone is an exciting new service that creates an unlimited calling zone around your home allowing you to make and receive unlimited local and Canadian long distance calls at home on your wireless phone without using any of your wireless plan minutes. And you still have all the benefits of a wireless phone when you are on the go.

2. How does it work?

The Home Calling Zone service uses your high-speed internet connection to create you own personal wireless network within your home. No need to use your Rogers Wireless voice plan minutes or worry about overage charges. Your Home Calling Zone compatible phone will seamlessly connect to the Rogers Wireless network when you are on the go and your Home Calling Zone network when you are at home. You’ll notice crystal clear coverage anywhere in your home, whether it’s a high-rise, the basement or attic.

3. What do I need to use Rogers Wireless Home Calling Zone service?

You will need three things to begin using Rogers Wireless Home Calling Zone.

a) A new Home Calling Zone compatible wireless phone.

b) A new Home Calling Zone Router – Any generic wireless router will work but the Home Calling Zone Router is recommended as it will provide optimal voice quality on your wireless phone, improved battery life and easy set up.

c) Connect your router to any High Speed Internet service (minimum speed of 512 Kbps for uplink and downlink)

3. A Home Calling Zone option

Home Calling Zone Unlimited Canada-wide - $20
    Home Calling Zone Unlimited Local - $15
    4. Can I create a Home Calling Zone without subscribing to a Home Calling Zone option?

Yes, you can create and start talking using your Home Calling Zone as soon as you sync your Home Calling Zone compatible wireless phone with your wireless router. However, you cannot take advantage of Unlimited local or Canadian long distance calling at home on your wireless phone until you subscribe to one of the Home Calling Zone options.

5. How do I subscribe to a Home Calling Zone option?

Simply sign-in to your Rogers account on rogers.com then click on Manage My Wireless Services, select Update Wireless Essentials and then choose the Home Calling Zone option that best suits your needs. You can also call 611 from your wireless phone and speak to one of our agents.

6. Do I need to provide the “911 Emergency address” to use my Home Calling Zone service?

Rogers recommends that you provide us with an Emergency Address for your Home Calling Zone service. This is simply the address of where the wireless router will be located. Home Calling Zone provides Emergency 911 service in accordance with current wireless 911 regulations. In the rare case where a 911 call is routed via the wireless router, Rogers strongly recommends that you provide the address where the router will be located. You can do this in 2 ways:

1. go to rogers.com and log into your account and select Manage My Wireless Services

2. or call us at *611 from your wireless phone

7. Can I use my existing Rogers Wireless phone with the Rogers Wireless Home Calling Zone service?

No, you need a new Rogers Wireless Home Calling Zone compatible wireless phone specially enabled for Home Calling Zone calling, the Nokia 6086 or the Blackberry 8120.

8. What is the range of my Home Calling Zone?

This depends on where your Home Calling Zone router is placed. Typical distance within a home is 30m, although this may be smaller or larger depending on other factors, like the construction of your home or interference.

9. Where will my Home Calling Zone service work?

The Home Calling Zone service will work in your home where you have set up your Home Calling Zone router. It will also work on any open access wireless networks- this means it will work with your friends’ and family’s wireless networks (if they provide you with the security key) and on any public open access network (that does not require a login name and password) like at many hotels and airports.

10. How do I know when I am within my Home Calling Zone?

When using your wireless phone in your Home Calling Zone, the screen clearly displays the Home Calling Zone icon to show that the device is on the Home Calling Zone network.

11. How many Home Calling Zone phones can be used at one time?

A household can have up to a total of five Home Calling Zone phones and up to five can be used at the same time to make calls depending on the available Internet bandwidth, distance from the wireless router, environmental factors and interference.

12. How will I be billed for calls I make at home?

Any calls you make from your Home Calling Zone will be included on your Rogers Wireless bill and will be labeled “Home Calling Zone”.

13. If I leave my Home Calling Zone and go out during a call, what will I be charged.

Charges are based on where you started your call, regardless of where you go during the call. So if you start a call from inside your Home Calling Zone then walk down the road, you’ll have unlimited talk time and will not use any of your wireless minutes. If you start a call from outside your Home Calling Zone, regular GSM wireless charges will apply for the duration of the call even as you enter your Home Calling Zone.

14. Can I use my existing landline at the same time as Home Calling Zone?

Yes, your landline (e.g. Rogers Home Phone) is separate from Home Calling Zone and will continue to work the same way it does today.

15. Does voicemail work when I’m in my Home Calling Zone?

Yes, all services will work as normal except for location based services such as Rogers Wireless Romance services.

16. What happens if I use data services from my mobile phone in my Home Calling Zone?

Data services such as text messages, picture messages, Web browsing, downloads and ringtones will be charged as per your regular Rogers Wireless data service plan and are not included in your Home Calling Zone Plan.

17. How secure is my Home Calling Zone?

Your wireless phone conversations in your Home Calling Zone are as secure as when you are using your phone outside of your Home Calling Zone. Your Home Calling Zone wireless phone provides security beyond anything provided by the wireless router. Even in ‘unsecured-open access networks’, Home Calling Zone calls remain secure.

18. How do I set up my Home Calling Zone?

Set up is easy and should take around 15 minutes. Simple, step by step instructions are included in the Home Calling Zone handset and router boxes.

19. How do I get help if I have technical questions?

If you have questions about your Home Calling Zone set-up or technical difficulties, please call Rogers Wireless Technical Support at 1-866-880-6575.

20. Do you offer Home Calling Zone service in Rogers HotSpot locations?

No, the Home Calling Zone service will only work on any open wireless network that will allow you to connect without the need to authenticate (i.e. provide a login name and password).

21. How will I be billed for my long distance calls?

If you subscribe to the $15 Home Calling Zone Unlimited Local option your Canadian, US and International long distance charges will be the same as those applicable to your Rogers Wireless voice plan.

If you subscribe to the $20 Home Calling Zone Unlimited Canada-wide option you will have unlimited Canadian Long Distance calling. Your US long distance rate will be $0.10/min and the International long distance rates will be the same as the rates offered through the International Long Distance Saver (see rogers.com/longdistance for details). These rates are competitive with those of any landline.

22. Can I use my Home Calling Zone phone outside of Canada?

The Home Calling Zone options will not work out side of Canada. You will be unable to take advantage of unlimited calling within your Home Calling Zone when outside of Canada.
    Here is the rumored FAQ from Rogers.

First thing I noticed, it is not locked to a single router, as earlier reports indicated. It can be used with any accessible Wifi hotspot, included both home and Office.

Second, No data over UMA.... Full stop, it is useless for BlackBerrys.

Can not use it outside of Canada? That negates much of the competitive advantage.
    05-19-08 05:00 PM
    Hi,

I bought an un-branded 8320 (no Rogers themes, no Rogers splash screen) directly from RIM in Waterloo a few weeks ago. However, it is locked to Rogers. I am planning on getting it unlocked from one of the unlocking service providers. I have been using my Rogers SIM card (just basic cell phone, no data service on the SIM) with the 8320 during the last few weeks. I have been able to use the Wi-Fi to browse the internet. Since I only have phone service on my SIM card, only the lower-case "edge" shows up.

I did not have any type of UMA/uma signal showing up on my device. I cannot locate how to set up UMA/uma. Can somebody help?

I am in China right now and am able to use my current Rogers SIM and also the Wi-Fi to browse the internet using my internet connection here. Again, no UMA/uma connection. I will cancel my Rogers service and will switch to China Mobile shortly since I will be in China during the next few years. I will get a normal voice plan with China Mobile.

I will try to use a temporary China Mobile SIM card on my 8320 (once I get it unlocked). I suspect I am able to use Wi-Fi to browse web pages as before, but I don't think I will get UMA/uma working.

Can anybody please offer comments on how I will be able to setup UMA/uma with China Mobile?

I have tried to google pages on how to set up UMA/uma without any luck. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    06-02-08 04:26 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD