okay so i have the tmobile blackberry 8320, and when i turn on wifi it says UMA in the corner, but i dont have that special router to make calls and all that...so i hope its not charging me money. is it?
    11-18-08 06:54 PM
    It must be connecting to your wireless router you already have set up. You don't have to have T Mobile's wireless router in order to use UMA. I have used UMA for months now. However, my router is secured with a password, which you must not have set up on yours. I would suggest doing so to protect your system.

Anyway, bottom line is, you are not being charged... enjoy!
    11-18-08 07:24 PM
    duuude
    If you are using uma (lower case) to make calls, they still count as normal airtime. If you subscribe to and get UMA, then the minutes are unlimited.
    11-18-08 09:48 PM
    So... I got a new 8120 the other day, and to be honest... I LOVE IT... BUT...

The first time I configured network on the wifi menu, it showed "UMA" in large and I made a call while on it and it was ... well it wasn't great but it was free...so ok...

Ever since then... that connection went out that nite, and I configured new ones on it, and I have even connected to that connection at my friend's house AGAIN... and i have yet to see "UMA" come up again- EVER!

What do I do?
    12-07-08 09:30 PM
    I disagree about the charges. I have TMO, and use data and make calls using Wifi/UMA and the usage shows up on my bill. I think the only way you are not charged is if you have a TMO router or are at a TMO hotspot.

Tico,

My Wifi/UMA comes and goes randomly when I'm at home. It seems to work best only when I'm in the same room as my router.
    12-08-08 08:09 AM
    If you have the 10 a month UMA plan all UMA calls are free. Otherwise they count against your minutes like normal network calls. You don't need their wireless router but it's the only one the will support/trouble shoot for you. Here is a guide for optimal set up.http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/
    12-08-08 09:08 AM
    Taylor is right, one pays TMo $10 a month and all UMA calls do not count against one's minutes. The calls are tracked and I can see who I call, but the minutes do not count against the minutes in my plan. If I did not have the UMA hotspot plan, the minutes would count against my plan's minute bank. My wife loves this because ot gives her many extra minutes to use each month, . I also use a non-Tmo linksys router without problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD