Hi there,

I have a 8320 Curve on the Orange network (I'm a UK user) and have had my blackberry for about 4 months.

Everything was fine until I went to the US on holiday. Upon arriving in the US I switched off my roaming (as I did not want a huge data bill and had no need to check my emails on holiday), and very occasionally used the phone to make calls.

Upon arriving back in th UK I now have the following problems:

1) I no longer receive and emails to my phone (when I got back to the country I had over 100 that were delivered whilst I was away, but am not getting any new ones)

2) I have what appears to be a voicemail icon, although I have no new messages

3) Most annoyingly, my battery no longer holds charge. For example, I took t off charge about 3pm yesterday (it was fully charged) - by 9.30pm it was low battery (I then turned it off) and this morning the phone was dead (now recharging it again).

I have no apps running (apart from the usual 5 - Browser, Home, etc) anxd the only 3rd party app I have is Facebook (not getting anything on that now either).

I did charge the phone whilst I was in Florida, and rather then using a travel adaptor, I changed the Blackberry plug to the US mode (if that makes sense) - would that affect the battery?

I have tried running the diagnostics tool, and it does hang on the PIN-PIN check - could that be causing the issue, and if so how do I fix it?

Any help you could give would be great!
    10-29-08 03:42 AM
    Can anyone help? I'm getting really desperate now....

If you need more info, please let me know
    10-29-08 06:52 AM
    Hi there,

I have a 8320 Curve on the Orange network (I'm a UK user) and have had my blackberry for about 4 months.

Everything was fine until I went to the US on holiday. Upon arriving in the US I switched off my roaming (as I did not want a huge data bill and had no need to check my emails on holiday), and very occasionally used the phone to make calls.

Upon arriving back in th UK I now have the following problems:

1) I no longer receive and emails to my phone (when I got back to the country I had over 100 that were delivered whilst I was away, but am not getting any new ones)

2) I have what appears to be a voicemail icon, although I have no new messages

3) Most annoyingly, my battery no longer holds charge. For example, I took t off charge about 3pm yesterday (it was fully charged) - by 9.30pm it was low battery (I then turned it off) and this morning the phone was dead (now recharging it again).

I have no apps running (apart from the usual 5 - Browser, Home, etc) anxd the only 3rd party app I have is Facebook (not getting anything on that now either).

I did charge the phone whilst I was in Florida, and rather then using a travel adaptor, I changed the Blackberry plug to the US mode (if that makes sense) - would that affect the battery?

I have tried running the diagnostics tool, and it does hang on the PIN-PIN check - could that be causing the issue, and if so how do I fix it?

Any help you could give would be great!
    For your emails, resend your service books, you can do that from your phone under *manage internet email* open that up and you will see Send Service Books, OR, you can log onto your BIS (oranges website) and send them from there, also the few times I have done this, I have also registered the host routing table .. Options, Advanced Options, Host Routing Table, menu key and register.. then wait a lil bit, see what happens.

VM icon, try calling your #, leave a message, then go in and delete, it may take the icon off, or call your VM listen to the entire menu even though it says you may not have any other messages, then exit the correct way, and hang up.. if this still doesnt happen, even after a battery pull, call Orange and see if they can reset your VM.

Try uninstalling Facebook, for the battery issue, its been a known problem with that lately here using battery life etc, or you may just need a new battery.. make sure you are closing out of everythng correctly, Menu>close, and not the *back* key
    10-29-08 06:57 AM
    You pretty much stated everything that I would have suggested. It's possible that his battery has gone bad.

Only reason I say that is that he has had the device for 4 months and hasn't had an issue with it until recently. Unless the user started using the Facebook app recently...
    10-29-08 08:02 AM
    Hi Rachel and Tommy - thanks for the replies.

1) Ok, I've sent the service books and the Host Table and still nothing - it's very odd as it was working fine until I went to the States - do you think I need to go into my email account and reset the forwarding settings? Is it possible for the Blackberry inbox to get full and not send any more emails to it?

I should point out this is using Hotmail and Googlemail - not Enterprise.

2) The voicemail thing is weird - I've had new messages, deleted them, listened to all the options, but still have the icon - is there anything else that can be causing it (I assume its a voicemail anyway - looks like a little grey tape)

3) The battery thing is odd - again I'm wondering is this is caused by a voltage difference between the UK and the US? It was fine in the US, but is now not holding charge for more then about 6 hours - even if the phone is not actively being used.

By the way, what do people mean by a battery pull? I assume it's just removing the battery and reinserting it (if so I've done that about 10 times in the last 2 days) but is there anything more to it?

Finally I shoud add that the phone keeps 'hanging' for a couple of seconds when moving the cursor (ie. I move the cursor, the phone thinks about it, then moves it) - again this has only been happening since my return from the States.

Oh and one last point - I haven't recently installed Facebook - had it almost as long as I had the phone for.
    10-29-08 08:37 AM
    Go into your BIS and delete the email acct and readd it, see if that helps..

Have your carrier reset the VM to make the icon go away

battery Pull - with device powered on, simply take the battery out for about 30 sec to a min, its like a reboot for your phone, similar to rebooting the computer,

Hanging.. your memory may be low, your file free under options, by doing a batter pull this will help with that..\

Your file free under options, status shouldnt really get under 12,xxx,xxx every couple of days, just do a battery pull to *reboor* your phone..
    10-29-08 08:42 AM
    Also, to clean out your deleted emails from your curve..

messages, Options, email reconciliation, menu key purge deleted items.

This will simply get rid of all the deleted emails from your phone.
    10-29-08 08:43 AM
    The voltage difference could have messed up the battery. I'm not saying it did, but I could definitely see that as a possibility.

I don't remember if the 8320 has wireless capability on it or not, but having wireless on along with the Orange network might eat up the battery? Also having bluetooth enabled wouldn't help either. I do not know for sure, but I know for other smartphones that having all three connections enabled will eat into the battery. I'm not sure if Blackberrys have as much of an issue as other devices.

Have you tried calling your provider to see if anything has changed connection wise on their end?

Another silly thought is that you said you turned off roaming capability so that you aren't receiving emails etc. Have you turned it back on? I'm assuming you have, but you never know!

And yes a battery pull is simply pulling the battery out and waiting a few seconds and putting it back in.
    10-29-08 08:47 AM
    File free = 17,208,786- is that ok?

I have Wireless and Bluetooth off.

And yes, I have turned the data back on :-)
    10-29-08 09:00 AM
    Seems fine

Delete your email acc and readd, resend the books and register the host routing table.. if that dont work, Im outa suggestions and would tell you to call Orange LOL
    10-29-08 09:05 AM
    Ok, deleted and re-added my two email accounts.

Resent service books.

Redone the HRT Editor thingy (is that all I need to do - go into the editor and do "Register Now"? Do I need to do that for each entry (I have loads in there).

I have loads of messages stating that the Handheld has been registered with the wireless network, but still no emails :-(

Sigh, guess I'll be spending my evening talking to Orange....
    10-29-08 09:20 AM
    Yeh you just Register Now,

yeh you will get those emails, maybe wait an hour or so, just to be sure, the messages tell you 20 mins right? something like that, so Id maybe wait an hour, then see what Orange says.. good luck
    10-29-08 09:23 AM
    One last thing I've noticed....

In Email setup option, there is an option t Change Device.

If I select this, it has a place where I can enter my PIN and my IMEI.

My PIN is fine, but my IMEI is blank.

I've added it in, but it never holds this information (ie, if I exit the screen and go back in the number has disappeared again).

Is this a problem? Am I doing something wrong?
    10-29-08 09:40 AM
    That I have No Idea about.
    10-29-08 09:43 AM
    I'd say ring orange.

i went to usa and came back with no data working and they sorted it, apparently i had become detached from the Blackberry Servers.

This has happened twice now. I also have the voicemail logo which doesnt go away, i havent a clue on how to fix this and neither did orange when i rang.
    10-29-08 10:01 AM
    Ok, for those interested I finally sorted my problem out yesterday and the culprit was.......Facebook!

Yep, despite it working fine for months, I have now removed the app, and lo and behold, emails are coming through, battery life is back, and the speed is back to normal.

I still have the weird voicemail icon, but at least my BB is useable again :-)
    10-30-08 04:16 AM
    Riddler try to re dl it it may work now. b/c it does not do that to me, or a few friends that use facebook
    10-30-08 04:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD