Hi all, I have a Verizon 8330, with the 4.5.0.77 OS. Its ok, but the speaker blast is starting to get annoying, also I know that with 4.5.0.77 you cant use an SD card bigger than 8gb,and from what I've read Sprints 4.5.0.131 eliminates the speaker blast, and u can use a 16gb sd card. I tried 4.5.0.161 a couple of weeks ago, and 161 was not made for Verizon, because I still had speakerblast, and my phone was so SLOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW it was torture just to send a text message. So last night after reading about 131 I decided to download it, I read the instructions on how to download, how to run the program, how to delete the vendor file, and to run Desktop Manager, and that DM would recognize a software update would be needed for the phone. Well on my desktop manager, its shows .131 and .77. And when I click on .131 to run, it send me to another screen on DM saying that I have the latest software update, and gives me no other option to continue. I checked my phone and verified I'm running .77, can anyone please explain to me how I can force DM to apply .131? Or tell me what I'm possibly doing wrong. I really want to get .131 on my phone so I can run a bigger SD card, and also eliminate the horrid speaker blast, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by 9eater; 08-04-09 at 08:36 AM.
    08-04-09 08:32 AM
    I think you need to delete the old os from your pc in add and remove programs so .131 is the only one.
    08-04-09 09:16 AM
    Yeah, like Tom said if you have a copy of .77 on your PC, you can try deleting it so the .131 is the only version remaining. If you still have the .160 on there from your previous effort, get rid of it too. I've also had the problem where DM doesn't recognize the upgrade potential especially DM version 4.7 with the 83xx series phones it seems so you could also try deleting DM, and re-installing. If worse comes to worse, you could wipe the phone and then install .131 but only if your comfortable doing so and have done the necessary research. One good thing about deleting the .77 file is that you can get it back easily since it's still Verizon's supported OS.
    08-04-09 09:57 AM
    So basically I have to go into my computers control panel, then into add remove programs, and search for the .77 and 161 software and delete them, so that 131 is the only one left. Therefore DM will recognize 131 and apply all the changes????? How do I know which one is 131. Cause they all say 4.5 and nothing follows? Thanks for the replies guys.
    08-04-09 10:04 AM
    Click on the device software instances. Then right below it..."click here for support information". That will bring up a window that lists the version. I think it's POSSIBLE you still won't get the upgrade option in DM but it's certainly worth a quick effort. After they're both gone, restart windows.
    Last edited by iowabowtech; 08-04-09 at 10:14 AM.
    08-04-09 10:12 AM
    I'll definitely try it when I get home tonight from work. Thanks Iowa. Also is the 131 more stable than the .77? I cant stand the speakerblast on .77.
    08-04-09 10:34 AM
    I swear by the .77 in terms of STABILITY. However, I only have rare occurrences of the speaker blast and it doesn't bug me really. Your reasons for wanting to change are understandable and the .131 seems to be the best alternate for the Verizon 83xx as reported by many users who have tried variants.
    08-04-09 10:39 AM
    Since the OP has Verizon, the hybrid OS of 160/131 is also an alternative.
    I have been using it for a long while and it is entirely stable and has lots of plusses, too.
    Does away with all the nasties that we Verizon people get with our phones.
    However, if you want to download a straightforward OS then 131 is your best bet.
    08-04-09 11:42 AM
    If you still have problems disable your internet connection before running DM and check to make sure the vendor file didn't show back up.

You could also try navigating to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and double click the loader.exe (folder with a cellphone on it) file to launch the application loader.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 11:54 AM
    Yes, I always launch my updates from loader.exe

To the OP, you can tell which OS installs to remove in Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs by the install dates. Obviously, the .131 will be the last one installed. Remove everything else.

Also, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared and delete any old OS folders in there after the uninstalls through Control Panel. That's where DM and Apploader look for your software on your computer.

08-04-09 01:24 PM
    Yes, I always launch my updates from loader.exe

To the OP, you can tell which OS installs to remove in Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs by the install dates. Obviously, the .131 will be the last one installed. Remove everything else.

Also, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared and delete any old OS folders in there after the uninstalls through Control Panel. That's where DM and Apploader look for your software on your computer.

xliderider, iI'm going to have to try that when I get home.

To all who have responded, thank you so much for replying and trying to help me out. I'm hoping when i get home today I can upload 131 on my phone. .77 is stable, but like I said I want to get a 16gb card, and the speakerblast is just annoying especially when your trying to make a phone call in the morning as soon as you get up. Ive been told that the speakerblast isnt from the software but from the actual cell towers when they establish a connection with the cell tower. I dunno. I hope that I can just get 131 today on my phone. Cant wait to get home. Thanks again guys.
    08-04-09 01:52 PM
    Keep us posted

08-04-09 02:08 PM
    It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i went home and followed what xliderider, and blackngray70 said to do about running the program from folder instead of DM and it worked. Im running .131 now, and on my way to go get a 16 gb card at Verizon. I cant wait LOL. Thanks to everyone for helping me out.
    08-05-09 09:56 AM
    You're welcome

08-05-09 01:16 PM
    Dot go to verizon for your new card they are way too expensive, cards on ebay ar much cheeper and just as good
    08-05-09 02:27 PM
    Also a thank you from me people. Had the same issue, and followed the LOADER instructions and worked like a charm.
    NOW lets see if I have any issues getting BBM 5.0 on this little demon now that I have got the correct OS that will handle it.
    08-17-09 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD