I can set my phone to have separate ringtones but is there a way to set it so it works when that person text messages you as well? I have the Curve 8330 and I'm pretty sure when I had the pearl I was able to do it.
    07-18-09 06:45 PM
    I am wondering this same exact thing. I am a new blackberry user, just got my first one on Wednesday. So far I love it, but I'd like to have the same ringtone and specified tone for texts for those in my address book who I have set specific tones for.

Thanks,
    ~B
    07-31-09 11:09 AM
    Yes, but you have to go into Profiles>Advanced, then create a new sound profile for each contact. You set the ringtone, SMS, MMS and Level 1 events with the sound you want for the contact and save the profile with your contact's name, saving after.

After that, you create a profile exception, also with the contact's name, then link it to the profile you had created and to their entry in your address book. Finally, check the Custom Ringtone box and select the sound that you set in the profile and save it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by MoonHowler2009; 07-31-09 at 02:08 PM.
    07-31-09 02:06 PM
    This is a dumb question but where are profiles? Yeah ... dumb I know sorry. First BB and still learning.
    08-01-09 10:46 AM
    BlackBerry Home screen, the icon looks like a Speaker.
    08-01-09 11:52 AM
    I would read the 101's on the site here to get to know your berry
    08-01-09 12:57 PM
    Cool

I never knew you could do that.

My curve just gets better and better

Cheers for the info
    08-01-09 01:25 PM
    Yes, but you have to go into Profiles>Advanced, then create a new sound profile for each contact. You set the ringtone, SMS, MMS and Level 1 events with the sound you want for the contact and save the profile with your contact's name, saving after.

After that, you create a profile exception, also with the contact's name, then link it to the profile you had created and to their entry in your address book. Finally, check the Custom Ringtone box and select the sound that you set in the profile and save it.

thats not working on my pearl?
    08-01-09 07:34 PM
    nvm got it
    08-01-09 07:43 PM
    The easiest way is to use smartalerts available in the crackberry app store.

forkup
    08-02-09 11:23 AM
    I created the profile and exception but cant figure out how to link it to the contact profile. Help pls
    08-02-09 12:38 PM
    The work around that most will have you do is very time consuming and doesn't always work. I tried doing the work around and spent a lot of time trying to get it right. I finally gave up and just downloaded SmartAlerts off of the Crackberry app store.

Its worth it in my opinion. It does the exceptions that you need, and you don't have to worry about the whole, will this tone go off if I put it on vibrate question.

Save yourself the hassle and the headache and get SmartAlerts.
    08-02-09 04:40 PM
    WOW, what a lot of work! My fingers are hurting. I think I'm going to download the application! Whew!!!!
    08-02-09 04:51 PM

Hi! I just bought the blackberry flip phone and I was following your post stated above about how to create individual text message ring tones. So I managed to make a new sound profile but I cant figure out how to do the rest. I'm talking about this part: "After that, you create a profile exception, also with the contact's name, then link it to the profile you had created and to their entry in your address book. Finally, check the Custom Ringtone box and select the sound that you set in the profile and save it."
    How and where do I create "profile exception"? please lead me through the steps for this part!
    thanks!
    "
    10-23-09 02:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD