I own a 8330, and am using a compatible SD memory card. (The same one that crackberry.com is using to show people how to install the media card). I just bought the phone and the sd card a month ago. I have never owned a blackberry in the past. When I first installed the card, it worked fine for about a week. It recognized it, and I could use it with video. Now when I try to use video recording, or even turn on my phone, it recognizes that there is a media card but tells me it is unformatted.

When I go to format the card, I do the following:
    Click options; click media card; click menue; then click on format card.

Then it is as if my phone freezes. I can't get out of the screen that it is in. There is no signs that it is doing anything. No status, or anything. Not only that, it drains my battery when I try to do this. (Battery only drains when I try to format the card). I thought maybe if I fully charged my phone, and then tried to format it... it might. But I am still getting the same results.

Any suggestions...
    Last edited by cooke.sarah; 03-08-09 at 04:55 PM.
    03-08-09 04:52 PM
    Welcome to CB

Have you tried to hook your BB up to the computer USB and format the card that way.

Just watch the folder that pops up and asks you if you want to... (various choices).

Go into your computer (the one that has the drives C, D, E, etc) settings select the drive for your Blackberry (do NOT double click to open). Right click and select format.

See if that helps

msblueline
    03-08-09 05:07 PM
    I had the same problem, except I had taken my media card out of my two previous phones. This resulted in my "losing" my photos, videos and ringtones from my card, which was upsetting to say the least. I did a little research and found a program (free) called "Recuva." I was able to use my USB cable to connect my BB Curve (with the media card in it) to my computer and recover my lost media even after I had used the reformat option. It was a lifesaver. I'm not sure why this happens, but according to what I read (and what I remember of that) it seems that if your BB resets while you're accessing the media card, it can be prone to delete stuff. I was able to make backups of all the media while the BB was still connected to my computer and save copies to the computer, rather than relying on the BB in case it happens again. It's been a month or so and I've had no further issues. Hope this helps
    03-08-09 05:10 PM
    i have the exact same problem ! pluggin in usb to the computer and trying to reformat the card DOES not solve the problem at all-tries to tell me there are terrabytes on the card, when there are 8 gigs ! then gives an error : "cannot format this card".
    next suggestion please ?
    03-08-09 09:28 PM
    i have the exact same problem ! pluggin in usb to the computer and trying to reformat the card DOES not solve the problem at all-tries to tell me there are terrabytes on the card, when there are 8 gigs ! then gives an error : "cannot format this card".
    next suggestion please ?

What OS are you running? You need to be on 4.3 or higher to run an 8 gig card. See this link:

View Document
    03-08-09 10:17 PM
    same problem occurs with 4 gig card- had worked fine ntil recenlty then boom- not recognized, says i need to format it and formatting doesn't work.
    03-08-09 10:29 PM
    I am not worried about losing anything, because I don't have anything on it.

The re-formatting sing the computer is not working either.

Any other suggestions.
    03-11-09 12:14 AM
    If you have a card reader you can try formatting the card on your computer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 12:20 AM
    I do have a card reader which came with my laptop, but it is for the standard cards, not the mini cards.
    03-11-09 01:01 AM
    The micro cards usually come with an adapter to fit the regular SD slots, the micro card goes into the slot at the back of the SD card adapter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 01:04 AM
    I did as you instructed with the microcard adapter (tried with the BB and USB too). Still nothing.
    03-13-09 05:24 AM
    I did as you instructed with the microcard adapter (tried with the BB and USB too). Still nothing.
    at this point, methinx you need to can that card and get another one. fixed my problems !
    03-13-09 06:11 AM
    I agree. The best way to format is on a PC, since this should render it to an out of the box condition. If it won't format on the PC it may be a defective card. However, if the same thing happens again, it could be a BB issue. In that case, you should see about exchanging it.
    03-13-09 06:48 AM
    Wow, really. That is so strange. I mean it worked fine for one week, and then it just all of the sudden started having that "format card" sign popping up on the BB.
    03-14-09 09:05 PM
    Check also if your card is micro SD or SDHC. SDHC in the adapter (SD card) your computer may need to have a compatable SDHC adapter. My BB formatted an 8G micro SDHC card fine but I needed to get the compatable adapter for if I wanted to take the card out of the BB and plug it into my laptop.
    03-14-09 10:31 PM
    I have both. I am trying to re-format the card again. It just is taking so long. Mabe I am not doing it right. I have my BB connected to my laptop using a USB cord. I went into the Computer file, and clicked on format. It seems to be formatting; however, in 6 hours it has only formated 1/8th of the way according to the status bar. By this rate I will not be able to have it fully formatted (if it actually completes) for another 2 days. Is it supposed to take this long?
    03-15-09 06:17 AM
    Is it a Sandisk card? There are many counterfeits of Sandisk cards out there. Where did you get the card from?

I agree with the others. Your best bet is to just exchange it. Sounds like an infant mortality.
    03-15-09 07:33 AM
    I bought it at Wal-Mart. I don't believe it is a counterfeit.
    03-15-09 04:07 PM
    Well I finally took the damn thing in to my cell phone carrier. They tested the mini card in another phone, and it did the same thing. Apparently the mini card some how fried itself after about a weeks usage. Thanks for everyone's help.
    03-22-09 01:45 PM
    This great and all, but WHAT FORMAT DOES THE CARD NEED TO BE!??! I have scoured this site and everyone suggests to format on a PC....but to what format?!! NTSC? FAT? FAT32? extFAT? please include this in future replies to this problem, it is very frustrating when you leave out this crucial bit of info. Thanks, bye bye.

UPDATE: The answer is FAT32, if you decide to format on a PC (which I recommend)
    Last edited by poomanfu; 06-29-11 at 07:02 PM. Reason: dfwrgfbv
    06-29-11 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD