Hey guys, I have a Tmobile Curve 8320 and i upgraded my blackberry over the summer to the beta 4.5 version and has been working fine.

I recently found out that the v4.5.0.81 came out and attempted to upgrade just now. I am getting a 507 error and the wizard will not finish installing the new OS.

I backed up everything and did everything prompted in these directions:

Software For BlackBerry� Curve (TM) 8300, 8310, 8320 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.108

Package Version: 4.5.0.108
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.5.0.81
    Software Platform: 2.7.0.78
    File name: 8310EastAsia_PBr4.5.0_rel108_PL2.7.0.78_A4.5.0.81_ Voda_Australia.exe

For install instruction to load any carrier 8300/8310/8320 OS on your BB:

1. Back up data on Desktop Manager under Back up/restore option
    2. Back up your 3rd party apps.
    3. Disconnect your BB from Desktop Manager
    4. Download desired OS to your PC
    5. Install/run OS to PC
    6. Delete vendor.xml file. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    7. Connect BB to Desktop Manager and it should prompt the upgrade. If not click app loader and that should initialize it.
    8. Do not unplug BB during the process. It will take around 30-60 minutes to complete upgrade.

***Steps 2 is optional but recommended

In the middle of the installation, i get this error message

A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again. Unspecified error encountered [J:0x00000005]

and a little icon with the numbers 507 come up on my device.

My device wouldnt show up on my desktop manager so i tried to do these steps to try and do attempt #2:

1. In order to restore the device, you need to have BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed. The original, as supplied on the BlackBerry CD is adaquite. Tip: If you choose to download the newest v4.3, you can save a lot of time by choosing custom install and disabling Roxio Media Manager. At start-up, it really slows things down until it has built up it index of media. Ref #2 links to BlackBerry's download site.

2. After it is installed, you need to install a BlackBerry OS file that is specific to your device. The original version, as supplied by the carrier, is the safe choice, but you can use any model specific version. This is not supplied on your BlackBerry CD, Ref: 3 links to BlackBerry's download pages.

3. Once the OS has been installed, you have to prepare it for the device.

Select Start / Computer and select the Drive C: Icon.

Open Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / AppLoader.

Navigate to the bottom and delete the file Vendor.XML file.

4. You are now ready to restore your device. Verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager is NOT running. Plug the device directly into the computer's USB port.

We are about to venture into the bowls of the beast. Windows is not suitable for this job, we are going to invoke the Command line interface with an option switch. This was the way all 'puters worked prior to Mcintosh and Windows.

Windows Vista: Start / Command (type this into 'start search')

You will see a black window similar to this. I have used UPPERCASE to highlight the typed commands.

Windows Vista
    Quote:
    CD \
    CD PROGRAM FILES
    CD COMMON FILES
    CD RESEARCH IN MOTION
    CD APPLOADER
    LOADER /NOJVM

When you hit enter at the last command a forced rebuild will start.

5. When it has finished, unplug it from the USB port and wait for it to finish start-up. Thirty minutes is typical, do not interrupt it.

Once it has recovered, you can use Desktop Manager's Application Loader to customize it and restore from your backup files, if you have saved them previously.

I went through a similar wizard and the same error message comes up in the process of installing the OS.

I tried this about 5 times now. I tried it with the memory card in, sim card in, memory card out, sim card out. Ive tried other USB cables. I tried restarting my computer. Nothing seems to change it.

So i went to the Tmobile site and downloaded the v4.2 to try and run that but same error message.....

Any ideas?....
    I use my phone for work and personal use so im trying to get this fixed asap. any help is very appreciated,
    thanks~
    Last edited by kisarci; 10-16-08 at 04:33 PM.
    10-16-08 03:41 PM
    I had this same problem, don't fret. Question do you have an extra battery by chance? or aftermarket cable? Funniest thing happened to me, and I have a thread on here about it. I have two batteries for my blackberry, the original that came with my BB and one that I bought afterwards. When I try to upgrade/downgrade with the one I bought later it doesn't work, but if I use the original battery I don't get any issue whatsoever. Give it a try
    Last edited by dewbiez; 10-18-08 at 01:38 PM.
    10-18-08 01:35 PM
    10-18-08 01:49 PM
    The first suspect are the USB ports, this links to BlackBerry USB troubleshooting guide. Try these suggestions first.

BlackBerry Search Results

Windows XP gets it's USB drivers from the Desktop Manager package. Run that to repair the drivers if needed.

Last resort, try a different computer.
    10-18-08 02:45 PM
    Thank you sooo much for the info - it really saved me when my T-Mo update wasn't!

Jay
    10-21-08 02:28 PM
    I was having just about the same issue. The whole 507/561 OS missing error after trying to upgrade to 4.5.0.81. Desktop Manager couldn't connect to the blackberry no matter what. Running the loader from the command line, as presented below; ran without a hitch.

Windows Vista: Start / Command (type this into 'start search')

You will see a black window similar to this. I have used UPPERCASE to highlight the typed commands.

Windows Vista
    Quote:
    CD \
    CD PROGRAM FILES
    CD COMMON FILES
    CD RESEARCH IN MOTION
    CD APPLOADER
    LOADER /NOJVM

When you hit enter at the last command a forced rebuild will start.

5. When it has finished, unplug it from the USB port and wait for it to finish start-up. Thirty minutes is typical, do not interrupt it.

Once it has recovered, you can use Desktop Manager's Application Loader to customize it and restore from your backup files, if you have saved them previously.
    12-03-08 03:13 AM
    Thanks a lot! u saved my bb, i was about to crash it against the wall
    12-19-08 11:36 AM
    I have the same problem, however, when I run loader /nojvm it says that it can't connect to my phone...doesn't see it as connected via the USB port....How do I get it to see the phone if it boots to 507.
    03-10-09 04:38 PM
    When you start the loader you will get a drop down list with the COM ports and one USB port entry. Select the one which says USB:UNKNOWN

* If you do not see USB:UNKNOWN or USB:BBPIN, then you need to reboot:

Disconnect the device from the PC.
    Keep the Application Loader Wizard window open
    Remove the battery and put it back
    While the red led is on, reconnect the device to the PC. The led will only stay on for a few seconds
    When USB:UNKNOWN appears in the drop down list, you need to immediately select Next
    03-17-09 11:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD