Hi,

Just today, my trackball stopped going up. I can go down and left and right, but not up. I have done a battery pull, with no luck. Any suggestions?
    11-27-08 01:34 PM
    might need to clean the trackball. There might be a little dust in there or something
    11-27-08 01:47 PM
    might need to clean the trackball. There might be a little dust in there or something
    I had a feeling that might be the problem. I was hoping for an easy fix
    Thanks for the reply.
    11-27-08 02:06 PM
    It doesn't get any easier than cleaning your trackball...Try it You'll like it !
    11-27-08 04:06 PM
    And just how do you clean a trackball? The guy I bought the phone from made it sound like it really wasn't that easy.
    11-27-08 04:14 PM
    I have a can of dust-off at home. I spray air into the ball while gently pushing on it and moving it around. This took care of the problem the 3 or 4 times it got goofy on me. The trackball can also be gently removed (research before doing) and cleaned. I recently wanted a reverse keyboard color setup from the one that came with my Bberry so I got a new keyboard cover and trackball setup on eBay. Exchanging it out was easy and only took a few minutes.
    11-27-08 05:04 PM
    I removed the trackball and cleaned under it and I cleaned the trackball itself. When I replaced it, the trackball would now go up, but not down. So I had an idea... I reopened the trackball and replaced the internal unit upside down. Now it only goes down again and not up. Side to side is still no problem. Does this sound like I need a new trackball, or can I fix this?
    11-27-08 05:20 PM
    When I clean my trackball I get a qtip and dip it in rubbing alcohol, then I squeeze the qtip so there isn't a huge amount of alcohol on it and then roll the ball around with the qtip. You have to make sure the qtip isn't soaked though or you might mess up the electronics.

You have to be careful to not get it too wet.

I dont know if that will help or not. Good luck
    11-27-08 05:29 PM
    It working again! I just kept going right and left with the trackball and then I started trying to go up diagonally at the same time. All of a sudden it started going up. Now it works perfectly, with great response. I already have a spare housing. I'm going to order a spare trackball right now, just to be prepared.

Thanks all.
    11-27-08 05:44 PM
    And just how do you clean a trackball? The guy I bought the phone from made it sound like it really wasn't that easy.
    The link to a tutorial (w/pics.) is in my signature line.

IF you need a new TB they are $13 or so:
    BlackBerry Trackballs dot com
    11-27-08 05:45 PM
    Taking the trackball out isn't that difficult, just made me nervous so I practiced on my old pearl before I sent it in for a warranty replacement
    11-27-08 06:08 PM
    Dab a little rubbing alcohol on the trackball and roll it around. Don't use a Q-Tip because the fibers can come off.
    11-27-08 06:11 PM
    The link to a tutorial (w/pics.) is in my signature line.

IF you need a new TB they are $13 or so:
    BlackBerry Trackballs dot com
    I just got one on ebay for $5.29 with free first class shipping from Brooklyn, NY. I'm right next door in NJ.
    11-27-08 06:12 PM
    Dab a little rubbing alcohol on the trackball and roll it around. Don't use a Q-Tip because the fibers can come off.
    I didnt really think about that. Thankfully I haven't had that problem before but I will not use a qtip anymore
    11-27-08 06:13 PM
    Taking the trackball out isn't that difficult, just made me nervous so I practiced on my old pearl before I sent it in for a warranty replacement
    I just went on YouTube and learned how to do it in 2 minutes. I also replaced my entire housing. Learned that on YouTube also.

Wow! Don't you just love the net?
    11-27-08 06:16 PM
    Youtube is a wonderful tool
    11-27-08 06:17 PM
    Sometimes if my trackball gets jammed, I just flick it in the direction it's not working and it frees it right up.
    11-27-08 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD