I have had my Blackberry Curve for about two months. For the second time my trackball will not scroll down. I can move the trackball, but it doesn't seem to be "catching" and feels very smooth rather than how it normally seems. This is only when I try to scroll down. Any ideas?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 08:25 PM
    It sounds like something like sand or lint could be stuck in there. Try blowing compressed air in that area and see if you can get it out.
    07-06-09 08:26 PM
    The same thing happened to me a week or so ago and Iceman helped me out. He suggested that I press in the trackball while scrolling it in the directions that wasn't working. It dislodges whatever is in there. Worked like a charm.
    07-06-09 10:10 PM
    The same thing happened to me a week or so ago and Iceman helped me out. He suggested that I press in the trackball while scrolling it in the directions that wasn't working. It dislodges whatever is in there. Worked like a charm.
    This worked for me too. I'd go for this method or purchase a new one on Ebay for cheap.
    07-06-09 11:04 PM
    Pressing it in and scrolling was definitely a challenge... but I did it and it seems to be working now... Thanks!!
    07-06-09 11:45 PM
    There is detailed instructions on how to do this in this forum because I read it while I cleaned Verizon 8330 Curve twice so far....I work in a barn and it gets dirty easily although I have it in an Otter Box.
    It wouldn't let me post the link so here it is copied and pasted from original thread..

How to remove and clean your trackball..
    abhorredlife
    CrackBerry Abuser
    Device Model: 9530 (Storm)
    Carrier: Verizon
    PIN: 3057F851 Join Date: Jul 2007

How to remove and clean your trackball

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I have a Vzw 8830. I am a CrackBerry addict. So naturally my trackball gets dirty. Me being the perfectionist I wanted to clean it. I used a air can didn't work. Used alcohol, didn't work. Then it started to stick. So I went hunting and found a solution (and a neat trick). So I want to share my findings with the CrackBerry world.

Ok I assume this will work for all trackball models (88xx, 83xx, 81xx) but I may be wrong. It DOES work for the 88xx. The process is fairly simple but it requires some dexterity. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU COMPLETELY JACK UP YOUR BERRY. I'M JUST TELLING YOU WHAT I DID. DO NOT ATTEMPT UNLESS YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE.
    So what I did/ achieved is:
    A) Cleaned the Trackball so its white
    B) Cleaned the insides so its not sticky
    C) Colored the LED so the TrackBall is another color than white (you do not need to do this for the 81xx it has colored LEDs).

What you first need to do is remove the silver plastic ring around the trackball. What you'll need is a small screwdriver or something with a small tip. NOT A KNIFE, I repeat don't use a knife because it might damage the mechanism. I used a small phillips screwdriver.

Once off (there should be 3 prongs on the ring: left, right, bottom). Set it aside for later. You should see the trackball mechanism. To pop it out just face the Berry down and pop it out. It should just fall out easily with minimal force. Its held in by a magnet.

Now you have a clear opening to the insides (you should see the LED). Take a cotton swab with alcohol on in and clean the insides. MAKE SURE THE BERRY IS OFF!!! There you go now it should not stick.

If you want to change the color. Just take a marker. I used a sharpe and color the LED. THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. I got mine blue. Pretty. Lol

Now if your crazy like me and want a white trackball here you go. This is where you need to be careful and very delicate. Take the trackball mechanism and look at it. You should see these black rollers that are on each corner (clean these too). To remove the trackball take off the metal ring on the top (CAREFULLY). Two halfs should separate and you should be able to remove the trackball. Now pop the trackball in vinegar and warm water and salt around half and half with a pinch of salt. Let it sit for at least an hour or two. NOTE: when you pop out the trackball the rollers might pop out too. Don't worry the can pop back in they are just tricky due to the fact its magnetic. So after you clean the trackball wash it with alcohol and pop it back in. Put the metal ring back on the right way (there are 2 ways) make sure the little holes on 2 of the sides of the metal ring are secure. The put the mechanism back inside the BlackBerry. Put the plastic ring back on and there you go good as new. Turn it on and enjoy!!!

You have to remove the trackball out of the mechanism if your going to put it in the vinegar solution. Due to the salt. It might rust the metal ring or worse.

If you have any questions or need help here is my pin.

pin:30185abd

Thanks and good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Attached Thumbnails

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by abhorredlife : 08-02-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: ...added pictures.

There is detailed instructions on how to do this in this forum because I read it while I cleaned mine....I work in a barn and it gets dirty easily although I have it in an Otter Box.
    Last edited by blackhorse; 07-07-09 at 01:08 PM.
    07-07-09 01:02 PM
    Mine wouldn't roll up last week so I just popped it out, per the above instructions, and put it right back in. Fixed the problem with little help from me! Whatever was in there must have fallen out during the process. It's been fine ever since.
    Last edited by brindaarnold; 07-07-09 at 03:21 PM. Reason: edit
    07-07-09 03:20 PM
    I tried the first part of these instructions and they worked pretty well. Ended up taking the trackball out of my backup pearl and putting it in my curve, but I am going to attempt to clean the old trackball with the recently posted instructions.
    07-07-09 03:43 PM
    i am having similar problems
    07-07-09 04:01 PM
    Dude thank you very much. I saw a tiny hair sitting under the trackball casing. I used air to clean it nothing more and the trackball now is as smooth (or rough) as it was when i first got it. So thanks agian. I've been trying for months to figure out the problem. I should have checked Crackberry first, shame on me!!
    07-07-09 04:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD