Dropped my phone in the toilet while urinating the other day, completely submerged and had to quickly retrieve it (yep, gross)... promptly yanked the battery, disassembled and cleaned everything throughly with rubbing alcohol and it works fine, just updated to .160 too.

They're not waterproof, but once you clean all the corrosion with rubbing alcohol it's good to go!
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-01-09 at 09:21 PM. Reason: content moderation
    06-01-09 03:14 PM
    An easy way for me when my ipod touch was put through the washing machine was to put it in the fridge for a few days. It wouldn't turn on before, but then I pulled it out and it worked like a charm. Just took some time to dry.
    06-01-09 03:38 PM
    At least you had admitted to there being urine in the toilet.
    I dont know how many threads I see where somebody claims they had dropped their phone in the toilet, yet "claimed" it was 'just' water.

Good to see everything went smoothly

Both ways
    06-01-09 03:41 PM
    Urine is sterile so no problems.

And the alcohol was the right thing to do, even if it was just water you need to use alcohol.
    06-01-09 03:42 PM
    The lid of a full, hot regular coffee fell off once, and the coffee flooded the other cupholder... where my best phone was. It quickly died in my hands, so when I got to school/work, I rinsed it with water from the tap, and then took it apart at home and dunked it in rubbing alcohol. It revived a little, but the sound was non-existant, so I had to replace it with some cheap piece of junk until I could get another one for $100 off. I was soooooo bummed!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 08:48 PM
    The lid of a full, hot regular coffee fell off once, and the coffee flooded the other cupholder... where my best phone was. It quickly died in my hands, so when I got to school/work, I rinsed it with water from the tap, and then took it apart at home and dunked it in rubbing alcohol. It revived a little, but the sound was non-existant, so I had to replace it with some cheap piece of junk until I could get another one for $100 off. I was soooooo bummed!

U "rinsed" it in water??? Then "dunked" it in rubbing alcohol?? OH MY!!

no wonder the sound was gone..all that submersion in liquid..crazy
    06-01-09 08:53 PM
    To the OP just be closely monitoring the berry over the next few weeks. Sometimes the corrosion process has already started even though it appears okay now. Hopefully this is not the case and it will be fine...
    06-01-09 09:12 PM
    Glad to hear your phone was revived! Sometimes we get lucky! I dropped my phone in the lake once... long story... anyways, I put it in a bag of rice and that trick worked for me.
    06-01-09 09:43 PM
    I've heard a few tricks bout rubbing alcohol and then follow it up with a bag of rice?

06-02-09 01:13 AM
    My phone has died 3 times due to water.. I got caught walking 3 miles in a freezing rain storm where I decided to use my phone to play music to entertain me, and it died about 2 1/2 hours in.. I dropped it in a friend's cat dish bowl, and it was permanently vibrating until I pulled the battery. Then another time where I just dropped a glass of water on it.

What's crazy is that I'm so careful with my phone, but with my Curve, I've had some bad luck. It has come back to life each time.

All I did was take two bags, 1 being a ziplock.. I took my phone, taken apart, and threw it into the open bag.. then filled the ziplock with rice. Put the open bag into the ziplock of rice, and then sealed the ziplock. Didn't want the rice to come in direct contact with my phone, as I'd imagine the dust/smart particles could severely mess up the keyboard.

Let it stay in there sealed for about 24 hours, and it has worked every time.
    06-02-09 02:09 AM
    Does the rice trick work because it has deliquescent properties? (ie absorbs water from surronding air)
    06-02-09 02:16 AM
    Does the rice trick work because it has deliquescent properties? (ie absorbs water from surronding air)
    Rice works very well when it comes to absorbing all the water, but it's no guarantee that it'll work again. Others have literally let their phone soak in rubbing alcohol and then did the rice trick and their phones worked again.
    06-02-09 02:25 AM
    I don't even have a funny thing to say, I am trying figure out the whole urinating while on the phone...I love my BB but even I am not that addicted.

06-02-09 03:03 AM
    Technically, it's dessicant properties, not deliquescent. As something that is deliquescent usually dissolves in the water that it absorbs. Gotta love Google.

06-02-09 03:28 AM
    U "rinsed" it in water??? Then "dunked" it in rubbing alcohol?? OH MY!!

no wonder the sound was gone..all that submersion in liquid..crazy
    Yeah, I spent a while looking online to see what other people had done that worked, and the rinsing off in the sink was used a couple times with success. I just figured I'd try to get as much coffee out of the phone as possible since I couldn't get any rubbing alcohol until later. Stupid me...

06-02-09 04:27 AM
    Haha my friend did that when we were at a club. We had a vip table with lots of bottles so we were smashed and the bathrooms in this club are doors on one side but windows over looking the strip and I guess she got distracted by the view and dropped her phone in the toilet. She comes out and is freaking out cause it was just vibrating so she asked me to look at it... luckily I asked if it was pre or post flush before I tried to help her
    06-02-09 05:33 AM
    I have dropped my 8310 down the loo twice, both times I took out the battery, disassembled, and left to dry in a warm place over about 2 days, after cleaning and putting back together it worked fine, and still does almost 2 years later.

Never know, I might upgrade. Only issue I had the second time, was behind the screen still had some water, so when the screen lit up you could see water streaks. These eventually dried up with use and its fine.

My wife still uses it daily and I think she has almost forgot where it has been!
    Last edited by bradkb; 06-02-09 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Quick edit
    06-02-09 09:00 AM
    i would die if any of this happened to me i wouldnt be able to take my phone apart and put it back together (rather like humpty dumpty)
    06-02-09 09:15 AM
    I have read all the threads about people dropping thier BB's in water, toilets etc., and I have read many success stories about the different ways to revive them, but I can tell you that if you drop one in a 32 oz. cup of Jack and Coke, there is no amount of rice and rubbing alcohol that will bring it back to life and ever make it anything more than a $300 paperweight.
    06-02-09 11:36 AM
    Dropped my phone in the toilet while urinating the other day, completely submerged and had to quickly retrieve it (yep, gross)... promptly yanked the battery, disassembled and cleaned everything throughly with rubbing alcohol and it works fine, just updated to .160 too.

They're not waterproof, but once you clean all the corrosion with rubbing alcohol it's good to go!
    Wow, glad you were able to save your BB though I can't say I'm going to try your method of salvaging the phone. If anything were to happen to mine, I'd just have to use the handy-dandy handset insurance. Pay $100 and new phone. Ta-da!
    06-02-09 12:23 PM
    I'm paranoid about that happening to mine. I keep it in an otterbox and away from water.

06-02-09 01:24 PM
    Bag of rice trick always works for me. Has anyone herd of putting it in the freezer immediately after getting it wet?
    06-02-09 01:28 PM
    I pulled my battery immediately and put the phone under a hallogen light and then used a hair drier on the cool setting. I left the battery out for 24 hrs. It is working but the BB button isnt working that great. Sounds like I should have used the rice.
    06-02-09 05:14 PM
    I used the rice trick on my 8703e when my wife was trying to get it off of my belt while my hands were tied doing plumbing work. The phone slipped out of her hands and right into a bucket of nasty black water. Put it in a bag of rice and 8 hours later viola good to go. I've also heard of others baking there's in the oven as well. I was a little hesitant to stick mine in the oven.
    06-02-09 07:19 PM
    ugh!! I had the same thing happen to me with my old palm treo. I had a mini panic attack while it was floating around haha..i think this is one of those examples that proves some of us tend to get a tad bit addicted to our cells =)
    06-03-09 12:58 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD