I am using a 8320 on tmo, and everytime I come home from college I have problems with my phone.

I can make most phone calls, but sometimes the call will drop. Not only does it drop, it locks up my blackberry; it doesnt let me any sorts of calls for about 5 minutes.

This has happened to me for as long as I could rememeber, and I was wondering if it was a problem with my phone, or with tmo.
    03-27-09 10:25 PM
    I would have the phone checked out then point fingers at tmo's excellent service (insert sarcasm)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 12:56 AM
    I believe T-Mobile currently holds the most "official" accolades regarding customer service than any other carrier... nonetheless, it very well may be the service in your location. What you describe sounds no different than what many users experience when they are in areas that lack strong service. No matter what carrier you have, if you are in an area that lacks strong service, you very well may experience dropped calls. If you know someone else who has T-Mobile, ask to put your SIM card in his or her phone and see if that experience differs.
    Last edited by zarzamora_hermosa; 03-28-09 at 01:27 AM.
    03-28-09 01:24 AM
    The reason I am a little concerned is that my parents don't really experience dropped calls in the house, we are all on t-mobile.

Also, the weirdest part was that my phone wouldnt allow me to make any phone calls after. I would keep pressing the green button, and even holding down a speed dial key results in no effect.
    03-28-09 01:31 AM
    you might want to try updating your prl. i know for verizon there is a number you can dial to do it, with sprint i have to call cs and have them kinda do it for you. im not sure how alltel does it. prl stands for preferred roaming list. updating it lets you hit off the newest nearest best signal towers. you should call your cs and see if they can point you in the right direction.
    ***********edit****************
    just kidding.. for some reason i was reading alltel and not tmobile. disregard this post.. tmo doesnt have prls..
    Last edited by kwmksavage; 03-28-09 at 02:04 AM.
    03-28-09 01:45 AM
    If you are using the 8320, have you tired using the UMA feature to make VOIP calls? Using UMA pretty much eliminates all your poor coverage problems, especially if you are on a campus with an open Wi-Fi acess point.

However, your drop issue every time you get home sounds like a UMA hand off issue. While UMA phones are suppose to be able to hand off between Wi-Fi calls and network calls seamlessly, forums will dictate that it's not a flawless implementation. The lock-up can happen when the phone tries to detrmine if the Wi-Fi network or the cell netork is the best choice to move the call to. Sometimes it takes the phone awhile to figure this out.

I find the intermittent hiccups during handoffs is a tolerable flaw for having the ability to make calls that are near land-line quality in an area where no-one gets cell coverage.

Again, this is all conjecture on my part since you didn't provide enough detail to determine if you were having a coverage problem or a UMA problem. Hopefully, some of the information in my ramblings will be useful to you.

Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 01:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD