Since the 8310 isn't getting 5.0 I downloaded the trial copy of empower sms. Its pretty cool but its a little weird. I open my sms folder and its normal then I click on the text and it switches to the threaded is this how its supposed to work? Or do I have something set up wrong?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-10 09:11 PM
    I open the threaded sms folder, it shows text conversations, you click on one and you see the bubble theme with the messages...is what yours does....
    01-04-10 09:25 PM
    Since the 8310 isn't getting 5.0 I downloaded the trial copy of empower sms. Its pretty cool but its a little weird. I open my sms folder and its normal then I click on the text and it switches to the threaded is this how its supposed to work? Or do I have something set up wrong?

What you are looking for is "threaded sms" - for this you need to install Empower Threaded SMS. However, what you have installed is Empower SMS Viewer which is a different product.

Empower SMS Viewer & Composer: is an integrated sms viewer and composer for the native sms app. It integrates with the native sms app and will beautify you emails with smiley, background, font colors etc. The composer is also integrated. However, the important point to note is that, since it is integrated with the native SMS app threading of sms is only upto the extent that native SMS provides. That means, when you read an sms, you can see the last 7 (depends on your settings) incoming & outgoing sms. But its not true threading in the sense that you will not get one-thread-per-contact on the main screen. For true threaded sms, you must install Empower Threaded SMS.

Empower Threaded SMS: Is a true threaded sms application for BlackBerry. Its an standalone app that has full threading and grouping of sms by contacts. You see just one entry for one contact, and when you click on it, you see all your sms to/from that contact there in.

Since you are looking for threaded sms functionality, you should install the Empower Threaded SMS app. You can install the latest version OTA from http://ota.getempower.com/

Thanks,
    Ani.
    01-05-10 12:26 AM
    Is the threaded sms free on that site or are they billing you through your cell phone bill? I would love to try it but before I do I want to make sure it isn't an outrageous price. Thanks

01-05-10 02:03 AM
    Is the threaded sms free on that site or are they billing you through your cell phone bill? I would love to try it but before I do I want to make sure it isn't an outrageous price. Thanks

Jes - Threaded SMS is a one-time purchase. It has a 7-day FREE trial so you can install it ota at the above mentioned link and first test it out for yourself. At the end of trial, it will tell you that the Trial has Expired and you can then decide whether you want to purchase or not. There is no billing through the cell phone carrier. Best of all, the license of Threaded SMS can be transferred from one phone to another. So even if you switch your device in future and get a new model, you wont need to purchase it again.

You can check out the complete details at www.getempower.com

Thanks,
    Ani.
    01-05-10 06:04 AM
    Oh awesome. I guess go there and check it out. Thanks.

01-05-10 07:00 AM
    I thinkit is like $6.00...I got mine on a spec which they have every now an then for like $3.00 it works pretty well.
    01-05-10 07:49 AM
    Ani.. When is a new version going to be released that has notification icon at the top of the screen? I am on trial right now and it is a great threaded SMS, but unless I look at the icon, I don't know that I have a new SMS.
    01-05-10 08:38 AM
    i downlaoded it and could send txts out of it but it wouldnt recieve them
    01-05-10 12:01 PM
    I have it, it seems to work great. I just purchased it for $2.99 and there is an update but I had notification in the sms icon for a new text before the update. I think the update allows you to receive more then the standard 160 in each text. Texting more than 160 would be nice also, maybe in the next update?
    01-05-10 03:21 PM
    i downlaoded it and could send txts out of it but it wouldnt recieve them
    Do a battery pull and it should work.. the newer version as mentioned here is better.... the old version on a long text the typing would be off thescreen once full... the new version fixs that.

For a notification you get a red "*" on the app icon when you have a unread message..
    01-05-10 09:31 PM
    Once purchased are the updates free?

01-05-10 11:56 PM
    My update was free.
    01-06-10 03:04 PM
    I purchased mine through gosh I think the app store here but was directed to mobihand to buy it.. I can log on to my account and it will show if updates are available and they have been free. Also if you change the device it is easy to reload them from there.
    01-06-10 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD