I have officially tried everything:

Software:

Upgraded the OS
    Downgraded the OS
    Clean wipe the phone/installed 4.2
    and ran with absolutely nothing transferred from backup
    Removed ALL 3rd party apps/themes/ringtones etc, etc..
    Ran it without Wifi
    Ran it only on Wifi

Hardware:

3 different batteries
    reformatted microSD card
    removed SD card
    replaced SD card
    replaced SIM card twice

Phone rebooted a little while ago during a call.

I already got a new one (screamed at T-mobile until they agreed to replace the phone with a genuine new one, not a refurb, and they let me keep this one) I was hoping to get it working for my wife.

I spoke with t-mobile BB support maybe 30 times and they alternate between feigning ignorance or admitting that this is a common problem. The last guy told me it was a "known issue" with the Curve and blackberry was working on it. The one before that claimed that the issue was totally unknown to T-Mobile and I was the first one ever to call about it.

I am hoping that a) my new curve (the 4th) will continue to work (so far one week, but the 3rd curve would somtimes go that long between call reboots) and b) it is something that can be fixed with a patch or OS upgrade. Otherwise, curve #3 will just end up in the trash.
    11-14-08 10:54 AM
    JGBrock,
    Don't trash it. I will buy it from you instead. Just pm me if you're interested.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-08 11:54 AM
    what version of 4.5 were you using?
    11-14-08 12:00 PM
    Wow sorry about all your probs....
    11-14-08 12:01 PM
    The operating systems that I have tried on this phone include the 4.2 it came with, 4.5.0.81 that I downloaded from the blackberry site (and removed the vendor file) and 4.5.0.81 directly from T-Mobile and then back to 4.2 from T-Mobile.

To be fair, not all of my first three curves were this way. Curve #1 rebooted constantly, maybe 50-60 times a day, and went back for a new one at the store the next day. #2 was sent in for exchange because the right side button worked only if you pushed on it really really hard. #3 was the second exchange and #4 is a new unit. I switched to this unit without tranferring anything from #3 including phone numbers (synched #3 to Outlook and then synched #4 the same way. All other programs and what-not were installed fresh)

#3 was a refurb, and I have no way of knowing what it was returned for, but I can imagine them getting it back for this, deciding there was nothing wrong (after all, it might go a week between reboots and then do it 3 times in a day) and sending it to me. That being said, I would not want to make it someone else's problem by selling it on Ebay or wherever.

I never would have guessed that Blackberries would have become so problem-prone. I had an older one for work a couple of years ago and you couldn't have killed that thing with a rock.

The whole reason that I got it to replace me RAZR was the Wifi/UMA function since I have terrible coverage at work. They overstate the functionallity of that quite a bit..phone calls get dropped during switchover approximately 95% of the time and the Wifi connection drops out several times a day. But I can live with it. Rebooting during a call followed by 5 minutes before you can call back, I can't.
    11-14-08 12:53 PM
    Hi guys first time poster and new blackberry user.

I have an 8120 on orange UK and had the phone reboot while on the phone to orange CS. When I called back on a landline the CS operative told me that Blackberries are designed to do this if a mobile signal is lost to prevent data loss.

I may be new to the world of blackberry but this sounds like complete nonsense to me! Would anyone with superior knowledge care to correct me?

Thanks.
    06-19-09 12:08 PM
    Bruce, that is baloney.

Start simple, check your file free memory. Options > Status.

Then make your way down the list in the first post:

1) Plug your BB into a charger and make some calls to see if the phone reboots. If the phone is fine while on the charger, then your battery may be going bad.

2) If you have a memory card in the phone, take it out and see if your rebooting stops. if it looks like the memory card was the problem, move your files off the memory card and reformat the card. Move your files back to the card in small increments and test. Repeat till your files are all back on the card, or you find the file that was causing problems.

3) Reload the OS, upgrade the OS if another version is available. Do only selective/minimal restoring of your databases to prevent transferring whatever was causing your problem back to your BB. Use the Backup/Restore Advanced function in Desktop Manager. Restore just Messages and Address Book to start.

4) Last option is to replace the SIM card. Try not to copy over stuff like phone numbers and such from the old card to the new.
    06-19-09 01:33 PM
    Thanks xliderider, I figured that was the case. The phone is only three days old and so I may just try and get it replaced as effectively it has had the issue from out of the box.

I did upgrade the OS but the reboot is still an issue. It never happened with all calls and so as with all intermittent faults you can't be sure that the issue is cured!!

thanks for your quick response and a wider thanks to the crackberry nation as I spent a lot of time going through the site and forums before going for my first blackberry!
    06-19-09 01:55 PM
    Yeah, I would return the phone if it is only a few days old. Make sure they give you a new battery with the new phone. Don't let them let you use the old battery in the new phone, as that may be the problem.
    06-19-09 02:04 PM
    That's good advice about the battery.

From my limited understanding I can use the switch device function on BDM to load settings files onto the new handset.
    06-19-09 02:07 PM
    Yes, switch device will transfer everything from old to new, but you have to have both BBs to do it at the time it is done.

In your case, you will probably back up your BB, including 3rd party apps:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

(The 3rd party backup does use the device switch function, so you can think of it as an abbreviated device switch process. )

Then take your BB down to get a new one. Then complete the Restore procedures on the 3rd party backup instructions.
    06-19-09 02:11 PM
    You're a legend xliderider! Much kudos and many thanks!
    06-19-09 02:31 PM
    No problem.
    06-19-09 02:34 PM
    wow thats something i didn't know
    06-19-09 03:12 PM
    I bought a Tour on the the Bell network. I unlocked it to use on Rogers. It began rebooting during calls and I too tried everything. I mean everything. I searched the forums for ways to fix this.

Finally after a week I found a post talking about the radio codes on the os can cause a drop in the data connection. So I decided to give it a try. Rogers does not carry the Tour, so I downloaded the Rogers 9700 OS from Blackberry and copied and pasted the Rogers file onto the 5.0 OS that I had from Sprint. And the rebooting stopped!

When loading the OS onto the phone I did have to keep the original on there untill after the first step and then delete it.

To find how to do this, search Crackberry for "use the radio code from one os build to another."

It's unbelievable that Rogers didn't know this, or at least didn't tell me.

Contact me if you need guidance
    03-13-10 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD