I currently have an iPhone but after the latest fiasco of Apple's (locking out third party apps.) I'm ready to look for something else.

1) Can it use a BT GPS receiver? I've searched but can't find an answer to that. It apparently doesn't have the SPP Bluetooth profile? (This isn't a deal breaker but it would be nice to have)

2) Can it be tethered to Windows XP? Again, doesn't that normally require the SPP BT profile? Do you know if T-Mo's $19.99 BB plan allows tethering?

3) Where is a good download site for third party apps for the 8320? I want to get an idea of what apps. are available. How do BB apps. work as far as what's compatible with what? Is it by OS version?

4) I do a LOT of web browsing. I've read a lot of people are having trouble installing Opera Mini on the 8320. Even if it works, will it really be "good enough" or will it drive me crazy after having used the iPhone's unbelievably great browser? Since BB's don't have a touchscreen I would think just selecting hyperlinks would be a huge hassle, for example.

5) I can sync. calendars with Lotus Notes using included software, correct? Can it also sync To-Do Lists?

Thanks.
    Last edited by cowboy1964; 09-28-07 at 04:20 PM.
    09-28-07 04:15 PM
    1) Can it use a BT GPS receiver? I've searched but can't find an answer to that. It apparently doesn't have the SPP Bluetooth profile? (This isn't a deal breaker but it would be nice to have) - it supports blackberry maps

2) Can it be tethered to Windows XP? Again, doesn't that normally require the SPP BT profile? Do you know if T-Mo's $19.99 BB plan allows tethering? - yes
    09-28-07 04:57 PM
    I've been looking for any info on tethering the 8320 (how to's, etc) but cannot find anything.

This single feature could push me over the EDGE (pun intended) of buying but I want to understand what's involved with getting it working first.
    09-28-07 09:15 PM
    just downloaded opera mini ver 4 on my 8320 no problems. the phone doesnt come up on the "supported phones" list b/c its too new, but i was able to download with no problem and i like it a lot better than the standard BB browser. just trying to figure out the settings now so it is the default app when clicking on links in email, SMS, etc. anyone know how to do this?

go to mini.opera.com/beta on your phone's browser to DL

GL! HTH!
    10-05-07 09:07 AM
    I just got my 8320 to tether via bluetooth to my macbook pro- haven't tried it on a pc yet, but I had the same problem finding instructions on doing it also.

After a call to t-mobile which was helpful but did not accomplish my goal, I did some research and found that the curve uses the same tethering process as the 8100 (pearl). I found a multitude of articles on how to pair the pearl and got things set up quickly after that.

Hope this helps....
    10-06-07 06:59 PM
    I just got my 8320 to tether via bluetooth to my macbook pro- haven't tried it on a pc yet, but I had the same problem finding instructions on doing it also.

After a call to t-mobile which was helpful but did not accomplish my goal, I did some research and found that the curve uses the same tethering process as the 8100 (pearl). I found a multitude of articles on how to pair the pearl and got things set up quickly after that.

Hope this helps....
    Hey,
    This is definitely going to sound naive, but at the expense of sounding so, what does tethering or bluetooth tethering allow you to do with a MAC? I am also on a MAC and would like to know...Angel
    10-07-07 03:17 PM
    just downloaded opera mini ver 4 on my 8320 no problems. the phone doesnt come up on the "supported phones" list b/c its too new, but i was able to download with no problem and i like it a lot better than the standard BB browser. just trying to figure out the settings now so it is the default app when clicking on links in email, SMS, etc. anyone know how to do this?

go to mini.opera.com/beta on your phone's browser to DL

GL! HTH!
    What were you able to do to even see the page for it? I can't even get it to do that. It attempts to install, if that is the same as loading OM 4, and it stops in the middle of it and gives me a low level internet setting error. Any one have this problem. It's driving me nuts too. I would like to use this app instead of the default browser for my C 8320.
    Angel
    10-07-07 03:20 PM
    I had the same problem as posted. EVERYTIME I try to run opramini 4 beta it prompts to "access a low-level network connection" Once I click on yes it prompts again "attempted to access the network." Then it loads and states that it "failed to connect to the internet." and I need to goto operamini.com/help to set up the internet settings. Do I need to open or forward ports on my router? If so which ones
    10-07-07 03:42 PM
    I had the same problem as posted. EVERYTIME I try to run opramini 4 beta it prompts to "access a low-level network connection" Once I click on yes it prompts again "attempted to access the network." Then it loads and states that it "failed to connect to the internet." and I need to goto operamini.com/help to set up the internet settings. Do I need to open or forward ports on my router? If so which ones
    Hey John, go to the TCP in your phones options and make sure that you have your APN set to wap.voicestream.com and leave the username and password blank. By the way, Tcp is under advanced options.
    10-07-07 03:50 PM
    Hey John, go to the TCP in your phones options and make sure that you have your APN set to wap.voicestream.com and leave the username and password blank. By the way, Tcp is under advanced options.
    Have your APN set to Wap???? There are no other setting options there other than the ones listed here. Username/password. There is no other place to provide this information or make changes. APN is blank and does not show current config or other.
    Angel
    10-07-07 04:21 PM
    That is the exact prompt that I get and keep getting. That is annoying me to no end!!
    Angel
    10-07-07 04:23 PM
    Thanks cmec, but that didnt work I still get the same errors. Any other suggestions?
    10-07-07 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD