On my 8330 that I just got, I found that if I receive a text message that contains voice after I listen to the voice message attached to the text I can't hear anything on the phone anymore.

If I place a call they can hear me, but I can't hear them. If I try and call my voice mail I can't hear anything there either. I have to pull the battery and reset.

I know the obvious option is just don't get text messages with voice attached, but I'm wondering if there is a different answer.

Any suggestions? Phone issue, or obvious operator error that I'm missing?
    Last edited by Schtomp; 08-04-08 at 01:05 AM. Reason: forgot model #
    08-04-08 01:04 AM
    Wow... I would say to do the following:

* backup your device
    * wipe it (Options --> Security Options --> General Settings --> Menu Key --> Wipe Handheld
    * restore

If the above doesn't work. Try the following

* backup your device
    * download the carriers OS (or your own, 4.5)
    * wipe it with JL_CMDER
    * restore
    08-04-08 01:50 AM
    Welcome to the problematic verizon 8330 curve. I went through the same exact thing and I am already on my SECOND curve 8330 because of it. There have been others on here complaining about the same problem with their 8330 curve, and we all happen to have one thing in common-VERIZON. Apparently verizon curve 8330's are the only ones doing this. My current and SECOND one is starting to do it as well..You need to call them and document the problem.
    08-04-08 02:35 AM
    Did Verizon replace your Curve because of it? I know it's a known issue, but it doesn't seem to be happening to everyone.
    08-04-08 07:00 AM
    Welcome to the problematic verizon 8330 curve. I went through the same exact thing and I am already on my SECOND curve 8330 because of it. There have been others on here complaining about the same problem with their 8330 curve, and we all happen to have one thing in common-VERIZON. Apparently verizon curve 8330's are the only ones doing this. My current and SECOND one is starting to do it as well..You need to call them and document the problem.
    I have the same problem with a Sprint Curve.
    08-04-08 07:18 AM
    Are you sure your friends aren't just messing with you?
    08-04-08 07:55 AM
    I had the same issue. When I reached tech support at VZW I was told that they are aware of the issue and the new OS to be released soon will fix the problem. As of right now, the only solution is the battery pull however, I've had mine work before after changing themes instead of the battery pull. Verizon never offered to swap out my Curve though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-08 08:48 AM
    It is a definite issue with the 8330 that BlackBerry has acknowledged.

The problem is certain non-BlackBerry audio clips, when interpreted, fail to release the speaker.

There are two workarounds. First, let the voice note play to the end. Second, if it occures, activate Voice Activated Dialing to free up the speaker.

I am curious to know, has anybody determined if this fault has been corrected in v4.5?
    08-04-08 09:33 AM
    I have a pearl 8130 and it does the very same thing!
    08-04-08 12:46 PM
    My Pearl 8130 and my Curve 8330 have both done it. Its an issue with .qpc audio format. Not all messages with sound will cause the problem. Alt + right shift + delete mimics a battery pull FYI.

There's been several threads on this. RIM and the CDMA carriers are aware. Users here made sure of that!

08-04-08 01:54 PM
    I have the same darn problem. I had two 8130 Pearls and they tried to blame it on the fact that I have too many contacts (1150) and that I was using up the Pearls memory and causing it to have "issues". They basically forced me into the Curve 8330 and guess what... SAME THING HAPPENED ON THE VERY FIRST DAY! I love Verizon's cell service but they're customer service and tech is really full of it! I was trying to save my upgrade for the Thunder or Storm (not sure what it is gonna be called) but now I'm stuck with this piece of you know what...
    08-04-08 02:39 PM
    Happens to me also, sometimes but not too often. When it does its a pain in the a$$. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem.
    08-04-08 03:14 PM

OMG --- to funny; I thought the same thing!
    08-04-08 03:24 PM
    Same thing with mine. Battery pull seemed to fix it tho. Hasent happened since.

08-04-08 03:57 PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Best answer that has worked is to activate the voice dialing after the phone goes silent and just saying a random command. That seems to somehow free up the audio and return the phone to normal. Also much faster than a battery pull. Thanks everyone!

08-04-08 04:53 PM
    i too have the same problem although i have not noticed it only dose it when i get a voice text, my phone seems to do it almost daily and i seldomly recieve any voice messages. i just thought it was doing it sporadically. very frustrating
    08-12-08 07:35 AM
    I have the Storm which started doing the very same thing yesterday--whether I call the person or receive a call, I cannot hear them, but they can hear me. I had Verizon "fix" this issue yesterday, but today it has the same problem. This definitely defeats the purpose for having a cell phone. If I am having these issues this soon, odds are good it is only going to get worse; I will likely return it, since I am still within my 30 days.
    12-04-08 02:13 PM
    I also had this problem on my T-Mobile Curve 8320 with OS 4.22.180. It could be related to the volume setting being reset too low, due to a Default Call Volume of "Previous. "

Used this workaround and I have not re-experienced the problem

Open Call Log

Press Menu button and select Options

Select General Options

Change Default Call Volume from "Previous" to 75% (or a percentage of your choosing)

Hope this helps someone!
    12-04-08 09:44 PM
    I have an 8320 through TMo and I get the opposite problem - sometimes in the middle of a call, I can hear the other person but they can't hear me at all! I have to hang up and call the person back, and its very annoying! BTW, my issue isn't related to any MMS's or anything - it just happens randomly during calls. Any ideas?

12-05-08 12:09 AM
    My Pearl 8130 and my Curve 8330 have both done it. Its an issue with .qpc audio format. Not all messages with sound will cause the problem. Alt + right shift + delete mimics a battery pull FYI.

There's been several threads on this. RIM and the CDMA carriers are aware. Users here made sure of that!

I had no issues w/my bb until I received an audio message, this post helped me make the connection thanks...
    03-12-10 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD