It would be great if i could just keep typing instead of having to manually start a new text once the 160 is reached. Non smart phones have the capabilty of this, why not my blackberry.

Anyone have my solution?

PS.. sorry if this has already been addressed, please provide me with the link to that thread if in exists... Yes i searched.
    11-16-10 08:32 PM
    There are 3rd party apps that will automatically generate additional messages for you when you exceed 160 chars. Here is one: crunchSMS
    11-16-10 09:03 PM
    Often it's your carrier that prevents this, not necessarily the device.

JeffH's suggestion works...here are some other alternatives:

1. Email -- you have a smartphone, and if the recipient also has a smartphone, perhaps email is the way to go if it's a longer message

2. MMS -- This is probably the best alternative, as the person you're sending the message to is most likely to have the ability to receive MMS messages if they already have SMS messaging. MMS messages can still be received by most non-smartphone users with a text plan, doesn't require you to know any more than the recipient's phone number, and allows up to 1000 characters (plus attachments), so it may be a better choice if the message is gonna be a bit longer.

3. IM -- Instant message clients, like Google Talk, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and of course BBM work great for conversations if the person you're talking to is also connected to a IM client.

Yeah, not the same thing as what you're asking...but things to consider.
    11-16-10 09:21 PM
    Thanks to all for your input. I am trying crunchsms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

11-17-10 06:33 AM
    There are 3rd party apps that will automatically generate additional messages for you when you exceed 160 chars. Here is one:
    I just downloaded this program and like it alot...can i disable the other "messaging" folder from receiving the messages and only CrunchSMS receiving and notifing me??
    11-18-10 06:16 AM
    Yes. I don't have CrunchSMS installed at the moment, so I can't give you the specific steps, but they are listed in the CrunchSMS FAQ. Basically, you go into your firewall settings and check the box to block SMS. That keeps them out of your messages folder. CrunchSMS will still receive them.

Rube8514 likes this.
    11-18-10 06:45 AM
    Beyond 160 is another great piece of software.

11-18-10 06:50 AM
    Crunch SMS is a good one if you don't need to save anything or forward messages as email. This is important to me as I need to prove some of the things that my baby mama texts me. I have to allow the texts to go tro the native SMS app just in case I need to save anything. I find myself using the native app the most unless I know my texts are going to be long. I am going to try Beyond 160 to see if it works better for me.

11-18-10 08:40 AM
    This must be a network restriction - here in the UK when creating an SMS it allows you to type and send beyond 160 characters. As you start typing at the top you have 160 / 1 of 7 and as you start typing the 160 goes down until 0 when it then shows 160 / 2 of 7. So it allows you to send 160*7 characters - and it always works.
    11-18-10 09:24 AM
    Yes. I don't have CrunchSMS installed at the moment, so I can't give you the specific steps, but they are listed in the CrunchSMS FAQ. Basically, you go into your firewall settings and check the box to block SMS. That keeps them out of your messages folder. CrunchSMS will still receive them.

I did what you said and it worked a couple times going st8 to crunch...but i went in to the firewall and it said it blocked 1 of my SMS's....i sent and received probably 3-5 texts....ideas?? I just want to block my texts from going to the native message app...i dont want to block my texts
    11-18-10 10:43 AM
    I would expect the blocked count to equal the number of texts you have received, but since I don't use CrunchSMS at the moment I can't test it.

11-18-10 10:54 AM
    This must be a network restriction - here in the UK when creating an SMS it allows you to type and send beyond 160 characters. As you start typing at the top you have 160 / 1 of 7 and as you start typing the 160 goes down until 0 when it then shows 160 / 2 of 7. So it allows you to send 160*7 characters - and it always works.
    That is precisely how it works on AT&T.
    11-18-10 11:14 AM
    It's complicated. Verizon BlackBerry devices use the standard 160 characters. Verizon smartphones use Extended SMS to send 160*6 chars, similar to what AG reported for AT&T.

11-18-10 11:48 AM
    Currently CDMA carriers do not support Extended SMS on BlackBerry.
    GSM carriers do support Extended SMS on BlackBerry.
    Both types of carriers support Extended SMS on other devices.
    11-18-10 05:11 PM
    Upon trying Beyond 160 I like it much better. I am still using the native SMS app (which I like) unless I need to type a longer message. In which case I will use Beyond 160. I still receive ALL of my texts thru the native app, as Beyond 160 is only used to send. Therefore there is no need to block anything. Good app!

11-20-10 10:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD