It just doesn't make sense to me that caller ID pics are so small. I can't even identify who's in the damn picture.
    06-03-08 11:14 PM
    Sadly, no there is not
    06-03-08 11:26 PM
    Sadly, no there is not
    I was wondering the same thing. I think its ridiculous that the pic has to be so miniature.
    06-04-08 12:34 AM
    I know. It's knd of not even worth to use the "feature"
    06-04-08 12:39 AM
    I haven't tried using the feature, but if there are so many bad reviews I may keep it that way.
    06-04-08 12:45 AM
    It's never been a problem for me. I usually find the pic I like, zoom in on the face or upper body, and crop and save. I don't need to see someone's whole body to know it's them.

And in case anyone doesn't know how to zoom Go to the contact>Menu>Add Picture>(select the pic you want to use, this will bring up the pic with the selection box that you can move around. Center it on the part of the picture you want to zoom in on)>Menu>Zoom>(Zoom to desired level, then click the trackball. Reposition selection box as necessary and continue zooming, or>Menu>Crop and Save.

If you're trying to use an entire picture for someone's caller ID, I can't help you.
    06-04-08 01:08 AM
    It's never been a problem for me. I usually find the pic I like, zoom in on the face or upper body, and crop and save. I don't need to see someone's whole body to know it's them.

And in case anyone doesn't know how to zoom Go to the contact>Menu>Add Picture>(select the pic you want to use, this will bring up the pic with the selection box that you can move around. Center it on the part of the picture you want to zoom in on)>Menu>Zoom>(Zoom to desired level, then click the trackball. Reposition selection box as necessary and continue zooming, or>Menu>Crop and Save.

If you're trying to use an entire picture for someone's caller ID, I can't help you.
    Thank you for that, however, it has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's issue.
    06-04-08 01:10 AM
    It does, in fact. He said the pics are so small he can't identify who is in the picture. He can zoom in on the person he is trying to identify and clearly see who it is. I don't see how that has nothing to do with his issue. It may not solve the postage stamp size issue, but it's a matter of working within the confines of what you have.

If you're trying to use a full size picture for a Caller ID, I can see where this would be preferable to some people, but all it does is eat up system memory since the caller ID pictures are not stored on the memory card, but in the system memory. I know this is true because you can delete the original picture and remove the memory card and the Picture ID still shows up for the contact. Using a cropped Picture ID is a practical limitation allows you to display a picture for each contact without depleting too much of your system memory.
    06-04-08 01:27 AM
    It's almost 3 in the morning and I am too tired for this, but here goes.

I have done that before and it really does not seem like a solution to me. I would like the entire picture to be visible larger. The concept of cropping precludes that.

So again thanks for your tip, hopefully someone will find it useful. I having tried it don't.
    06-04-08 01:53 AM
    No problem. Like I said, I'm just trying to help him work with what we've got presently. Adapt and overcome, I say. Maybe one day there will be an upgrade/hack/app that allows it to use the entire screen to show a pic when someone calls in. That would be cool as long as the pics were stored on the memory card and not in system memory.
    06-04-08 03:00 AM
    No problem. Like I said, I'm just trying to help him work with what we've got presently. Adapt and overcome, I say. Maybe one day there will be an upgrade/hack/app that allows it to use the entire screen to show a pic when someone calls in. That would be cool as long as the pics were stored on the memory card and not in system memory.
    I know you are. And you are doing a good job. And I mean that, I really do.
    06-04-08 03:07 AM
    Crazy theory.... Create a theme... Where when you have an incoming call, make the picture be full screen in the BAckground..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-08 07:18 AM
    The pictures look small when you look at or edit a person's profile. But when they call you the caller id picture takes up around half the screen so its fairly easy to see them.
    06-04-08 08:46 AM
    It does, in fact. He said the pics are so small he can't identify who is in the picture. He can zoom in on the person he is trying to identify and clearly see who it is. I don't see how that has nothing to do with his issue. It may not solve the postage stamp size issue, but it's a matter of working within the confines of what you have.

If you're trying to use a full size picture for a Caller ID, I can see where this would be preferable to some people, but all it does is eat up system memory since the caller ID pictures are not stored on the memory card, but in the system memory. I know this is true because you can delete the original picture and remove the memory card and the Picture ID still shows up for the contact. Using a cropped Picture ID is a practical limitation allows you to display a picture for each contact without depleting too much of your system memory.
    Ahh, good point on the memory issue. I had not thought of that. FWIW, with the 8320 a crop tool comes up when you choose to set a photo for caller ID and I do use it, but still too small for my old eyes. Thanks everyone for your feedback.
    06-04-08 08:49 AM
    Thanks KRONK for the informations.
    06-04-08 08:57 AM
    It's never been a problem for me. I usually find the pic I like, zoom in on the face or upper body.
    Uhhh...I have a few friends I could recognize from their upper body
    06-04-08 09:07 AM
    Well, lets see...
    The screen on a Curve is 320x240 pixels.
    When you receive a call from someone you have a picture ID for, the picture shown is something like 60x80 pixels...leaving room for the accompanying text.
    Why does it need to be bigger...unless you have extremely bad eyesight? Where do you expect the text to go? Maybe you should just have better pictures of the contact in question if you can't tell who they are. Or you could use a VERY easy to see picture of something that reminds you of them if you don't have any good pics of them.
    Setting a picture ID for a caller should be a redundancy bordering on a luxury, anyway.
    It is very rare that I bother looking at my phone when someone calls because I have specific ringtones set for all the folks on my contact list, as well as one for outside calls...so I know whos calling even if my Berry is across the room.
    This pretty much annihilates the need for Caller ID pics at all...

I must admit though, the thought of having a theme that's coded so Caller ID pics take up the entire screen is somewhat intriguing. I'm sure if it's possible, someone will eventually do it.
    06-04-08 09:27 AM
    Well, lets see...
    The screen on a Curve is 320x240 pixels.
    When you receive a call from someone you have a picture ID for, the picture shown is something like 60x80 pixels...leaving room for the accompanying text.
    Why does it need to be bigger...unless you have extremely bad eyesight? Where do you expect the text to go? Maybe you should just have better pictures of the contact in question if you can't tell who they are. Or you could use a VERY easy to see picture of something that reminds you of them if you don't have any good pics of them.
    Setting a picture ID for a caller should be a redundancy bordering on a luxury, anyway.
    It is very rare that I bother looking at my phone when someone calls because I have specific ringtones set for all the folks on my contact list, as well as one for outside calls...so I know whos calling even if my Berry is across the room.
    This pretty much annihilates the need for Caller ID pics at all...

I must admit though, the thought of having a theme that's coded so Caller ID pics take up the entire screen is somewhat intriguing. I'm sure if it's possible, someone will eventually do it.

I've had phones that showed the pic full screen and superimposed the text onto the photo. If you can see who is calling the text is somewht redundant anyway, IMO.
    06-04-08 09:30 AM
    Does it really matter if the pic is small how long will you look at it anyway when you receive a call.
    06-04-08 09:30 AM
    Uhhh...I have a few friends I could recognize from their upper body
    I didn't say you had to zoom in on their face...
    06-04-08 09:35 AM
    I've had phones that showed the pic full screen and superimposed the text onto the photo. If you can see who is calling the text is somewht redundant anyway, IMO.
    Yup, I have too...but none of those phones were a Blackberry...or near as AWESOME as a Blackberry!
    My only thing about that is that if you have one picture that is mostly dark, and then another that is mostly light, then depending on the color of the text, it's not going to show up on one or the other.
    You're right though, the text would basically be another redundancy if you recognize the pic.
    Again, I suggest using high contrast pictures.
    Example: One of my contacts pic ID is a chromed @ symbol on a black background. Even if it were half the size it is now, I'd be able to see it.
    Now, understandably, you're not going to be able to do this with every single contact you have on your list, but that's where setting personalized ringtones comes in...for me, anyway.
    06-04-08 09:45 AM
    Does it really matter if the pic is small how long will you look at it anyway when you receive a call.
    Yeah, but my 46 year old eyes don't work so good anymore. I was just looking for a alternative to using reading glasses to see who is calling and a full screen picture ID would work great.
    06-04-08 09:55 AM
    Its stupid that blackberry's don't have full screen pics and they can put the text at the bottom like regular phones do its not hard. The blackberry is a regular phone just like any other pda lets not over do it.
    06-04-08 10:26 AM
    Thanks for posting this thread; I was going nuts trying to figure out how to enlarge the pictures in the address book.
    06-04-08 08:20 PM
    Crazy theory.... Create a theme... Where when you have an incoming call, make the picture be full screen in the BAckground..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That would be a good solution!
    06-04-08 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD