The Curve is a great text device, but what puzzles me is why it is ony 160 characters? I never had that problem of running out of text capacity with my SE 580i, it would break it up and send it as multiple messages.
    Is 160 characters the norm for the Curve? thanks
    06-29-09 04:55 PM
    Yes and many other devices as well. There is a software call beyond160, this will let you type up to 3 pages worth of txt and send them. hope you have unmlim txt, as each message will be charged accordingly.
    06-29-09 05:03 PM
    Yes and many other devices as well. There is a software call beyond160, this will let you type up to 3 pages worth of txt and send them. hope you have unmlim txt, as each message will be charged accordingly.
    Yes I have unlimited text thanks, where would I find this software?
    06-29-09 05:05 PM
    Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you want to text such long messages from your BB? Obviously, the text limit is there for a reason and if you had a long message that needed to be sent, there are plenty of other means of communication these days.

Again, not trying to bash or anything, just curious.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 06:24 PM
    The only reason I discovered the limit is because a friend sent me a text. And when I replied it ran out of characters, I agree though because I would rather email.
    06-29-09 06:30 PM
    There is no text limit if you send it as a MMS.
    06-29-09 06:35 PM
    True unless your text comes from them as SMS, than you have to reply in a seperate text for MMS.
    06-29-09 06:41 PM
    Still curious of the reason for writing novels via text.

I understand that not everyone has a BB and access to email on their phones, but again there are plenty of other means for communication these days.

06-29-09 06:48 PM
    I thought that a mms with no media had a 1000 char. limit.

With VZW it is 1500 characters
    06-29-09 07:16 PM
    Yes I have unlimited text thanks, where would I find this software?
    Do a search in the application store here, or google it.
    06-29-09 07:17 PM
    The reason SMS (Short message system) is confined to 160 Characters is due to that being the "internationally accepted cell phone network specification" adopted and maintained by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute. The maximum payload of an SMS is 140 octlets, which translates to 160 characters when used with 7 bit encoding. If the encoding where increased to 8 or 16 bits, we would get reduced to 140 or 70 characters respectively.
    To sum it up, a group developed a standard which defined the hardware and firmware of the SMSC system. If the phone you are using follows that standard, you should be able to send a valid text message to anyone, anywhere, on any network.
    06-29-09 08:18 PM
    Just use the blacberry messenger & you wont have to worry about that any more.
    06-29-09 08:46 PM
    i hate that the CDMA blackberries only allow 160 when the GSM ones will split it up because there are a lot of times that i send texts that are over 160 character
    06-29-09 10:27 PM
    i hate that the CDMA blackberries only allow 160 when the GSM ones will split it up because there are a lot of times that i send texts that are over 160 character
    The GSM BB's only allow 160 as well, but it is not a dealbreaker for me.
    07-01-09 07:21 PM
    The GSM BB's only allow 160 as well, but it is not a dealbreaker for me.
    i think GSM will allow more because my girlfriend has the pearl on ATT and she cant send up to 7 pages i believe and my friend had the curve on T-mobile before switching to verizon and he could send up to 7 pages also
    07-01-09 09:22 PM
    my phone lets me send up to six messages in one of 160 characters each. I type and it keeps track if its one or two messages long then breaks it up and sends it...
    07-01-09 10:01 PM
    Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you want to text such long messages from your BB? Obviously, the text limit is there for a reason and if you had a long message that needed to be sent, there are plenty of other means of communication these days.

Again, not trying to bash or anything, just curious.

my personal reasoning... there are some people who have gotten to the point of limiting all communications to text. he has no issue sending 4 or 5 maxed-out texts but he will not pick up the phone to call.
    07-01-09 10:08 PM
    Yeah my gf has a pearl on t-mobile and she's sent me at least 5 or 6 pages before! That seems like an annoying issue, but that app looks helpful.
    07-01-09 11:44 PM
    my Bold and 8900 both break up texts into different pages if i go over 160. and i think the max is like 6 or so pages. and im not sure if GSM or CDMA makes a difference or not. i think some of my friends with Verizon phones enable multiple page messages. my GSM Nokia 6230 and 6131 both had concatenated SMSing, up to 6 pages, years ago.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 07-02-09 at 12:31 AM.
    07-02-09 12:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD