Hi,

I just go tmy bb 8320 and am syncing it with Outlook 2007. Many of my Outlook contacts have text after the phone number, e.g.:

Home phone field: (555) 555-1111
    Work phone field: (555) 555-1212 John's Work
    Work 2 phone field: (555) 555-1313 Jackie's Work
    Mobile phone field: (555) 555-1414 John's Cell
    Other phone field: (555) 555-1515 Jackie's Cell

I have noticed that when calling, the bb will dial the phone number and then dial the numeric equivalents of all the text after it in the field.

Is there some way to delimit it, perhaps a symbol or character that will "comment out" everything after it, e.g.:

Other phone field: (555) 555-1515 * Jackie's Cell

where "*" = some type of signifier to not dial anything after it

Thanks
    10-22-08 03:53 AM
    You might be able to get by with putting a Wait character in the right spot, but then... if you're going to touch every contact why not just go ahead and cut and paste the info into the right fields...?
    10-22-08 07:00 AM
    Why not make a separate entry for each person?
    10-22-08 07:18 AM
    >>You might be able to get by with putting a Wait character in the right spot, but then... if you're going to touch every contact why not just go ahead and cut and paste the info into the right fields...?

Thank you for your reply, but the pause does just that... pauses and then dials what's after it.

Not every contact is like this, but many are. For example, a business may have several numbers, one being a customer service line, another being a main number, and then a "back line" I do not wish to have multiple entries for one business.

>>Why not make a separate entry for each person?

Because then I either have to remember under which person I put the common entries, such as home phone and address, or I have redundant information and have to remember to change information on both when there's a change. Thank you for your reply.
    10-22-08 02:45 PM
    You're right, a pause only pauses, but I didn't say pause I said Wait. There is a big difference in how they both work. Still, you might be happier in the long run just slowly conforming your contacts to the bb format instead of trying to conform the bb to you methods. Think ahead to the time when you might want or have to upgrade or change phones. If you follow the standards all your contacts will move over seamlessly.
    10-22-08 02:52 PM
    I will look into the Wait feature. I can't see changing everything just yet.
    10-23-08 01:46 AM
    Question from peanut galllery: I'm on BES so my Address Book pretty much mirrors Outlook in supporting multiple phone numbers and addresses based on work/home/phone1/phone2 etc. Without BES, doesn't the BlackBerry Address Book support multiple phone numbers?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 08:16 AM
    Yes it does and that is the way to go.

I have about 200 entries in my phone book and many have multiple phone numbers (Work, Home, Mobile phone, fax) multiple email addresses and a postal address.

I do my updates in Outlook and then sync.

This eliminates the need for text in a number field.
    10-23-08 08:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD