This is the first technical problem I've really had out of my blackberry. The problem just started today... All my texts and call logs have started deleting themselves. I have a 4 GB memory card in my blackberry and plenty of space left, so it shouldn't be a memory overload... I've also looked at my database sizes and stuff and the options of my texts, everything looks normal... Any suggestions on why my problem may be?
    01-21-09 08:43 PM
    It is a option in your settings, I believe it is preset for 15 days after receipt. You can adjust this if you wish. BB button from inside messaging for options!
    01-21-09 08:51 PM
    I had that option set to "forever" and it just started deleting them.
    01-21-09 08:55 PM
    Wow I thought I was the only one with this problem. At first I thought it was not a lot of memory left so I deleted some apps. But that did not do anything as now once in a while it will delete all my text message expect for ones I sent on my birthday (really odd) and my call log would be gone.
    01-21-09 08:57 PM
    Yeah, I checked all my music and ringtones... my music only takes up 321mbs and my ringtones only take up 11.1mbs, i was like, i have plenty enough memory !
    01-21-09 09:01 PM
    Try checking your file free memory. When it gets low, crazy things start happening. Go to Options/Status and see what the number is for File Free. Then do a battery pull and check it again...and see if that solves the problem.
    01-21-09 09:51 PM
    The important memory to keep an eye on is your Phone memory - not your microSD card. To check it press alt-shift-h and on the page that opens scroll down to see how much free mem you have left.

If it goes below 12 000 000 your blackberry will auomatically start deleting messages and logs.

Your free memory goes down with time due to memory leak, and you can reclaim the memory by pulling out the battery while the phone is still switched on.

Hope this helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 09:55 PM
    I went and looked at file free and it was a large number with 10 at the beginning, i don't remember the number, because i did the alt shift h shortcut then it changed my input language to english -united kingdom :S so i had to go change my language back to english - united states.

I just did a battery pull, so hopefully it will help.
    01-21-09 10:12 PM
    I had a similar problem develop on my old Pearl. I would receive a text or email, and instead of storing it, it would erase my whole messages folder. No one could figure out what was wrong with it, and I ended up having to have it replaced. I hope it doesn't come down to that for you!
    01-21-09 10:12 PM
    I went and looked at file free and it was a large number with 10 at the beginning, i don't remember the number, because i did the alt shift h shortcut then it changed my input language to english -united kingdom :S so i had to go change my language back to english - united states.

I just did a battery pull, so hopefully it will help.
    If the number had a 10 at the front it sounds like your free memory has indeed dropped too low - it should have a 13 or higher at the front (these are roughly megabytes - 13000000 = approx 13MB) if the keyboard shortcut gave you trouble, go to Options>status and have a look at the memory.

Since you've done a battery pull it's probably gone up

Let us know what it is now

01-21-09 10:23 PM
    i just got my black berry earlier this month, so i good thing my warranty isnt up if i need to get it replaced.
    01-21-09 10:26 PM
    it now says

free file: 30226474 bytes
    file total: 58064896 bytes
    01-21-09 10:28 PM
    Don't give up on it yet :-)

01-21-09 10:29 PM
    That's loads (30MB).

If it was really down to 10MB before then that was your most likely your problem and you might not experience the deletions from now on.

I would see what happens. But to help prevent your memory dropping, remember to close all your apps by pressing Menu and choosing Close - otherwise they stay open in the background and eat up your precious memory.

Good luck

01-21-09 10:38 PM
    ohh ! i'd say not closing my apps is my problem.

i'll start closing them from now on

thank you so much.
    01-21-09 10:40 PM
    You're welcome :-)

01-21-09 10:44 PM
    Funnily enough my friend managed to get her BB down to 3,xxx,xxxb file free with no deletion of texts or call logs i looked at it and was like what in the world have you been doing with this. she uses dexrex so I deleted all the texts and it went up to 26,xxx,xxxb free...

I used to have the same erasure issues with my pearl and curve. I started using dexrex to maintain my texts off the phone and now delete those once or twice a day to clear out phone memory, another thing you might try is OS 4.5.0.124 seems to have a relatively high starting file free, mine was 29mb free immediately following update.

If you use text messaging a lot that's probably one of the first things you might want to look at to figure out where your memory is going.
    01-22-09 01:28 AM
    Funnily enough my friend managed to get her BB down to 3,xxx,xxxb file free with no deletion of texts or call logs i looked at it and was like what in the world have you been doing with this. she uses dexrex so I deleted all the texts and it went up to 26,xxx,xxxb free...

I used to have the same erasure issues with my pearl and curve. I started using dexrex to maintain my texts off the phone and now delete those once or twice a day to clear out phone memory, another thing you might try is OS 4.5.0.124 seems to have a relatively high starting file free, mine was 29mb free immediately following update.

If you use text messaging a lot that's probably one of the first things you might want to look at to figure out where your memory is going.
    It's true! When I upgraded from .81 to .124 I gained 6MB which I was really pleased about, because before I was hovering constantly around 12MB and went up to 18MB!
    01-22-09 03:48 AM
    Dexrex is a great product! Definitely eliminates a lot of messages to free up space without erasing the actual message. If you're having memory issues, I suggest downloading it for your blackberry but then again I'm also bias since I work at Dexrex
    02-02-09 12:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD