Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the cuve to act as an internet gateway for a laptop?

Tethering is not an option, there is no way I am going to pay telus 8$/mb when I have unlimited surf / download on the BB.

It would certainly be better to be able to use a larger screen and keyboard.

Thoughts?
    07-05-09 05:22 PM
    Tethering is your best bet. Even if you could do what you want,
    without a tethering plan you'd be looking at some serious data charges.

Pay the $8 or pay the consequences
    07-05-09 06:34 PM
    07-05-09 07:04 PM
    Or Bayalink liberty key. Shark modem too but its old and slow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 07:45 PM
    Think Tetherberry! tetherberry.com/]TetherBerry | The Web Anywhere
    so this would allow me to use my BB as a modem and not have to worry about the $30 verizon charge and not get overages?
    07-05-09 09:05 PM
    Technically tethering without a plan is against the ToS that you agreed to when you signed up for service. And if you're caught, the monetary consequences could be VERY high.

That being said, yes tetherberry will allow you to use your BB as a modem without a tethering plan.

07-05-09 09:09 PM
    so this would allow me to use my BB as a modem and not have to worry about the $30 verizon charge and not get overages?
    As long as you have unlimited data you're good to go. Take a look at the Tetherberry page, it explains it all, and it works flawlessly. The initial cost is a bit higher than other apps but well worth it.

Mike
    07-05-09 09:09 PM
    crap they don't support mac
    07-05-09 09:21 PM
    They have a Mac beta you can sign up to try out.
    07-05-09 09:23 PM
    Yeah that's what I like about TMobile, that thet don't charge you to thether as long as you have the unlimited data plan.

07-05-09 09:28 PM
    They have a Mac beta you can sign up to try out.
    signed up for that
    07-05-09 09:48 PM
    I looked at T-mobile as an option for Tethering, but I frequently travel to the Northwoods of Wisconsin. They have little usable service there. Verizon just put up a shiny new tower a few miles away from my place. Full service in the trees and I can Tether just fine.
    07-05-09 09:51 PM
    If you use TetherBerry on Verizon, you will likely get a HUGE data bill. You might not want to risk it.

Note that the "unlimited" data plan applies to data on the DEVICE not on a computer.
    07-05-09 09:57 PM
    i've been wanting to tether so badly with my verizon blackberry with tetherberry but ive heard stories of people getting away with it no problem and i've heard stories of people getting thousand dollar bills for doing it..your risk
    07-05-09 10:12 PM
    Have you look into sprint or ATT also? At least you could use your current BB with Sprint. I've tethered with my work BB(8830), and it works great. Plus the setup was easier than T-Mobile.

07-06-09 07:41 AM
    I use tetherberry with Telus and no problems yet. Mind you I don't use it often, only when I'm out and there is no free wifi available.
    07-06-09 07:41 AM
    YOU ARE WRONG....

Read the tetherberry page very carefully..it says "no tethering charges from tetherberry.com", not "no tethering charges from your carrier"..

Tethering is against the ToS for VZ and if you search the VZ forum you will see several instances where some poor folks got duped by the Tetherberry website and resulted in massive (several $k) bills for overrages.....

As long as you have unlimited data you're good to go. Take a look at the Tetherberry page, it explains it all, and it works flawlessly. The initial cost is a bit higher than other apps but well worth it.

Mike
    07-06-09 09:16 AM
    there are a lot of people that have been hit with huge bills from verizon and im talking several thousand dollar ones..i wouldnt risk it
    07-06-09 09:34 AM
    NOOOOOO!

I was getting rather excited too.
    07-06-09 01:25 PM
    Anyone know anything about sprint on the unlimited bb data plan? I dled sprintview for free on their website. Used it for about 5 minutes and now I'm gonna wait for the bill.

07-07-09 10:57 PM
    We will know the point of access that you use to access the internet. Tether at your own risk.

It's not a threat, at least from me. It's kind of like being AWOL from the military. We won't hunt you down actively, but if we find you, watch out!
    07-07-09 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD